Wearing name plates or not?

A public servant, by definition, is a governmental employee.

By your definition, hookers, drug dealers and mob bosses who run store fronts to hide their real business ventures are also public servants. Aside from the notion being completely false, is that really what you want to argue?

C'mon, let's be PC... Hookers are known as Selective Companions. Drug Dealers are known as Alternative Pharmaceutical Distributors. Mob Bosses are know as Organizational Leadership Entrepreneurs. They all have assimilated to America's Current Affairs. We are in the 2010s and the old titles of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s don't sound hip anymore...

I'm just saying.... Lol...

Our agency has wrestled with this for years. As a result you will see a wide combination of names, initials, etc on our plates and/or embrodiered on our polo's.

Recently the State came out with a proposed regulation requiring First Name and Last Initial, for all providers, but I am not sure where that is going.

Anyway, the issue that our departmenthas is that we are about 40% female, and have cases where some stalking like behavior has occured. Of course we deal with the DUI's and other criminal behavior that puts us at a little risk as well.

We still havenet come up with a consitant policy, but in general we mainly go with First name and last initial. We have buissness cards to give out as well, but have the option not to give them to patients we are uncomfortable with.

I agree that it is a false sense of security, but if your on FB you are pretty much screwed anyway.

Personally I think following your local law enforcement agencies policies is a good safe and proven policy. They have much more to fear than we do, so if it works for them it shoudl work for us. Additionally, advise your co-workers to live smartly. Manage your social media privacy settings, keep your number unlisted, and just be careful (but not fearful)in general and that will do more than any ID badge policy.

Recently the State came out with a proposed regulation requiring First Name and Last Initial, for all providers, but I am not sure where that is going.

Interesting. Was this based on any particular concern or issue?

Ethically, your patient should be able to identify who is caring for them. It is a requirement to be worn in the hospital and the same should go for prehospital care.

Not a problem to have a first name on a tag with a last initial, but hospital based folks are not in the same situations as someone in the field. A hospital is a controlled environment, folks are generally on the best behavior, and other than occasional skirmishes in ER's, I highly doubt an Ultrasound tech or housekeeping person need worry about angry/unstable patients, bystanders, or family members. Possible, yes- likely? No.

Perhaps a bit heavy on the drama lol but it gets to the point. I can put an argument to any reason one can give about not using surnames but in the end no one's mind will be changed by either side of the argument. I will still think that first names are unprofessional and some will live in fear of offering there last. It's all good either way I suppose.

No ERDoc, I don't think we are on the same footing as garbagemen. It is astonishing to me that I have to explain the context of that remark to you.

I was simply stating that if all "public service" employees require ID, as another poster stated, then I would like to see nameplate on the trashman and the guy repaving my street. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

No ERDoc, I don't think we are on the same footing as garbagemen. It is astonishing to me that I have to explain the context of that remark to you.

I was simply stating that if all "public service" employees require ID, as another poster stated, then I would like to see nameplate on the trashman and the guy repaving my street. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

And I think it's astonishing that the context of "public service employee" needs to be explained whe talking about EMS employees on an EMS board so we can call it even. You are comparing apples to oranges. As EMS, you may be just public servants, but you are also healthcare professionals and should present yourself as one (this is not specifically aimed at you HellsBells but meant as you in a general sense). You are involved in the life of a patient in a way that no other public servant will. You as seeing them at their sickest and most vulnerable and as such should be held to a higher standard. As for threats of violence, it happens in the hospital just as much as in the field (more in the ER than elsewhere) but we are still expected to be easily identifiable to pts and their families. Badges are for police and firefighters, not healthcare professionals.

I always wore a name tag. Want to know my name ask or read the tag.. I have nothing to hide. I told a RN once to be sure to spell my name correctly as I pointed to it on my name tag.....

At the hospital we have ID cards which have our first and last name, qualifications, department we work in and a photo attached to a lanyard. We also have a swipe card which gets us into the drug rooms, staff entry, canteen and what not. I have my swipe card in front of my ID card attached to the lanyard so no one can see my name because I think the ID card displays far too much personal information. I introduce myself by first name to all patients and my uniform has ‘nurse’ printed just above the front pocket, which is enough identification in my book. If someone wants to make a complaint I have no problem in giving them my first name and employee number but after that you’re going through management in regards to any further correspondence. I also respond to ‘hey you’, ‘oi nurse’ and so on and so forth.

Our EMS uniform comes with a name tag which has our first and last name and we get a photo ID card when you qualify to administer medications. I don’t wear the name tag unless it’s an official/ceremonial type event but I do carry my meds card in my pocket whilst on duty.

Our fire turnout gear has our last name on the back of helmet and printed on our jacket and pants, no idea why. I guess it’s so we don’t get our gear flogged at the fire scene or they know who we are if we go down…

A public servant, by definition, is a governmental employee.

By your definition, hookers, drug dealers and mob bosses who run store fronts to hide their real business ventures are also public servants. Aside from the notion being completely false, is that really what you want to argue?

Considering I only offered my personal view on the definition, and not trying to establish a formal definition, who are you to tell me that my view on things is wrong?

By the formal definition, only those healthcare providers that are employed by a municipality, a fire department or law enforcement department can be considered 'public servants' while those employed by private carriers are not.

Secondly, you're comparing apples to pine cones. In view of the tiny little fact that the 'services' provided by your examples aren't even LEGAL....

Furthermore, employees of the local power company, gas company, phone company and cable provider are normally considered by the general public as 'public servants' because they serve the general public. Methinks you're being confrontational just for the sake of being confrontational...

*Edited for content and structure*

Edited by Lone Star

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.