Won't Let 2 Females Work Together On Ambulance

Ok then i pose another question to everyone in here. what is the difference between ems and fire why does fire have to pass a physical and physical standarts, but EMS does not?

Wait... where is this? In well over three decades, I've never worked in an EMS agency that does not have such standards. If you are talking about volunteer agencies, that isn't a valid comparison. I've seen plenty of VFDs without physical standards.

BUT... from a patients point of view, following sexual assault, they might be more comfortable with a provider of the same sex, or a child with a history of sexual abuse may become frightened, etc.

And radioactive monkeys MAY fly out of my butt too. If it happens, oh well. That's what CISM is for. ;)

BUT... from a patients point of view, following sexual assault, they might be more comfortable with a provider of the same sex, or a child with a history of sexual abuse may become frightened, etc.

You know, I file this under the same category as "An obs pt preffers a female"

To be honest, I have dealt with plenty of obs... very few rapes, lots of domestic abuse, and to be honest, none of them have ever indicated that they would prefer a female practitioner.

To be honest, most of the female rape/abuse victims are somewhat comforted by having a male with an authorative uniform in thier presents.

The obs patients are always receptive of me, especially when I speak of my own 3 children. The very few times I have had too check for crowning, there was no hesitation from the mother. Anyone who has seen a woman give birth knows quite well, the last thing they are worried about while pushing a human out thier vagina, is if the person controlling things down below is getting some sort of nasty thrill.

The company has the right to require whatever crew staffing that they want in my opinion.

Without entering the discussion of a possible lawsuit, as long as the company person so assigned continues to sign the paycheck, Ruff has much the story in a nutshell.

And radioactive monkeys MAY fly out of my butt too. If it happens, oh well. That's what CISM is for. ;)

SWEET... I'm sure you could get a pretty penny for those on ebay :D

To be honest, I have dealt with plenty of obs... very few rapes, lots of domestic abuse, and to be honest, none of them have ever indicated that they would prefer a female practitioner.

To be honest, most of the female rape/abuse victims are somewhat comforted by having a male with an authorative uniform in thier presents.

I was just speaking from my personal experience working with victims of rape, having gone into the hospitals, I have seen most be more comforted by a female conducting the rape exam rather than another male violating them down there.

be more comforted by a female conducting the rape exam rather than another male violating them down there.

So if a female conducts the procedure it is an exam but if it is a male, it is "another violation"? Interesting word choices...

We shouldn't be performing rape exams in the field regardless. A SANE or it's equivalent should do that in a secure environment with strict chain of evidence guidelines.

Take care,

chbare.

We shouldn't be performing rape exams in the field regardless. A SANE or it's equivalent should do that in a secure environment with strict chain of evidence guidelines.

Take care,

chbare.

She said in the hospital...she was relating the male/female issue not where an exam is performed. It is a hypothetical as well, an exercise in this great debate.

Yeah, but you watch musicals so that means that you practically have a vagina, so you don't count.

Way to set up a counter argument by the first statement attempting to destroy any credibility. You and I know the deal but others who come along will take your counter point as more valid…shitty debate technique Dwayne.

I don't think that she's implying that anyone shouldn't be able to handle anything that comes their way, only that some folks are more comfortable with one sex or another.

I did not get that impression either; it is the way the topic evolved. However the point of this whole issue was the legality of it, so how one relates better to another is moot because when it comes down to the fact that hiring policies will have to be observed/managed closely to not skew ratios, when certain people who are up for overtime but cannot take it due to being the wrong sex, when someone is due to rotate to a certain truck or station and again can’t because of their sex…this is discrimination.

Also the legal liability is bound to be smaller with same sex care providers.

Bullshit!

And as we've had this conversation, I know that legal issues would not prevent either of us from rendering appropriate, compassionate, care, but if I had the option of allowing my 80 year old Female to expose her bleeding rectum to my female partner instead of me..I would do so for a plethora of reasons... :-)

So now you are proposing that ALL ambulances be double paramedic in addition to one gender of each sex? Because what if my partner is a basic; does this means I allow a lower licensure level to do the exam because of my own inaccurate perceptions. What if my partner misses something, how do I explain that? The same situation works the other way, my female paramedic partner refuses to look at some bumps on a penis, I describe it improperly or miss something glaringly obvious…either one of these situations could alter the report…life threatening no, but that is not the point because we are all about good medicine…right?

So now we are altering hiring practices, exam practices, staffing practices…and yet this is NOT discrimination??

I think male/female teams are best simply because it's more pleasant in many cases, in my experience, to hang out with the opposite sex. Also, many of the strongest providers I've known have been female.

I do not disagree; I will take a female partner over a male any day of the week.

"Let"?

was my freedom in a man's hand, who kindly obliged to give it to me?

also, we're women (that's to specify that we're "Females" of human classification).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.