Salary

medicgirl09

Its all up to you, the problem with the folks who whine about EMS pay is that they lack discipline in handling their finances. Yes, it is nice to have 2 new cars and a new house that is too big, and to eat out every day and night, but it is not necessary. Choose the job you love, live within the budget that job supports. Nothing worse than being trapped in a job you hate because you cant afford to quit.

Quoted because it is rare that I find something Crotchity and I agree on 100%...I could go on about this post/topic for hours, but you summed it up nicely.

Nothing worse than being trapped in a job you hate because you cant afford to quit.

Would this be referring to the old line of "struggling to survive on the salary you used to dream of getting?"

Yes, my first EMT job paid less than 11k to work 24 on 24 off. My first Paramedic job paid about $14k year. I thought I had made it to the big-time when I was hired by the highest paying organization in the State for $19k (and yes that was a long time ago, 1986). Unless you are in a truly white collar job that would require many years of college (and no guarantee of a job), statistically, you will probably make between $25-50k, no matter which career you choose. Some commissioned sales people average above that, but they are the exception, not the rule. The problem is that a traditional job will most likely be an 8-hour shift, 5 days per week, with 2 off-days. EMS (like it or not) does give you a good opportunity to work 2 jobs and still have 1-2 days off per week.

To all those who say, I shouldnt have to work 2 jobs; quit spending every dime that you earn, or quit working for what you feel is a substandard wage. The problem is we are killing ourselves because there are 1000s of EMTBs/Is and medics who will work for any wage offerred, so there is NO true shortage in our industry. Create the shortage by refusing to work that 2nd low-paying job, and your rates will increase. But as long as you are all willing to work 100 hours a week at $10.00/hour, the wage will never increase.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986
  • Like 1

Personaly I feel if you go into the EMS system its because you care for others. There are people out there that do join the system too. wether it be they lost a family member, a best friend, or just they like the smile they get form helping someone on the street. I make sure before I hire someone that they will not lose or forget the reason they wanted to become an EMT-B, I, P, or an volly member. The ones I do pay you can bet if they were to slip and forget why they do what the do. They would be talked to. Or something around that.

Join because you want to help others. Not for MONEY!!!

Good Bye

Hannah

• Like 1

Sure, people get into the field to help others but being able to help yourself is also important. It's unfortunate that my American counterparts get paid the little that they do. As much as I'd love to live and work in a nice warm climate somewhere south of me, I can't picture that much of a decrease in pay. We are also starting to get saturated with green providers trying to break into the field.

There are some changes being made here right now that a 'precious few' feel will benefit everyone. Unfortunately that's not the case, so several are jumping ship and leaving the province before EMS crashes here like it did in another Canadian province not too long ago.

As for people (in any walk of life) who live beyond their means, it can only be done for so long before it catches up with them. I only know a few in EMS who did so, they're all facing bankrupcy and most are friends who never made much to begin with ...

• Like 2

Personaly I feel if you go into the EMS system its because you care for others. There are people out there that do join the system too. wether it be they lost a family member, a best friend, or just they like the smile they get form helping someone on the street. I make sure before I hire someone that they will not lose or forget the reason they wanted to become an EMT-B, I, P, or an volly member. The ones I do pay you can bet if they were to slip and forget why they do what the do. They would be talked to. Or something around that.

Join because you want to help others. Not for MONEY!!!

Good Bye

Hannah

I did get into this to help people, so did a lot of RNs that I know. But I won't do it for free, and I know that if you tried to make the RNs I know do it for free, you'd have a not so small riot on your hands. I expect a living wage to be paid to me for my time. Having food on the table trumps any desire I have to volunteer (which isn't any actually).

Edited by JTpaintball70
  • Like 2

I did get into this to help people, so did a lot of RNs that I know. But I won't do it for free, and I know that if you tried to make the RNs I know do it for free, you'd have a not so small riot on your hands. I expect a living wage to be paid to me for my time. Having food on the table trumps any desire I have to volunteer (which isn't any actually).

Very well said, thank you.