Driving While Intoxicated - Alcoholism

emtannie

There was a call in my area today, for someone who had hit the ditch in their truck. No injuries, but the patient was very intoxicated. This person is a known alcoholic, and has had numerous accidents and license suspensions in the past.

This person also knows how to work the legal system, in that he continued to drink on scene after a bystander called in the accident, which, according to the laws here, gets him out of an impaired driving causing an accident charge, as there is no way for the court to determine how drunk he was when the accident occurred. He will be charged with other offenses, but nothing that will get his license taken away.

This is a frustrating call for the crew, and for law enforcement in the area. We get called to incidents with this gentleman several times a year. The legal system is so convoluted that he manages to get charges dropped when he gets to court.

I was thinking about it, and feeling angry and frustrated, as we all know someday he will be involved in an incident where someone will be seriously injured or killed. He knows he drives drunk, and he doesn’t care.

So, I got to thinking… alcoholism is referred to as a disease. There are numerous medical conditions where a person is unable to qualify for a drivers license. Why can’t the medical community include alcoholism in this category? Some epileptic people have to have their license reviewed every 6 months. People with vision limitations, or certain physical disabilities also cannot get a drivers license. Maybe we could do this for alcoholics, and this would be a way to try to keep them off the road, as our legal system seems to be unable to.

Thoughts?

So, I got to thinking… alcoholism is referred to as a disease. There are numerous medical conditions where a person is unable to qualify for a drivers license. Why can't the medical community include alcoholism in this category? Some epileptic people have to have their license reviewed every 6 months. People with vision limitations, or certain physical disabilities also cannot get a drivers license. Maybe we could do this for alcoholics, and this would be a way to try to keep them off the road, as our legal system seems to be unable to.

Thoughts?

Hmm, you might be on to something. If MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) operates in Canada, as well as the US, contact them to forward the idea.

He was drunk... therefor unable to "decline" treatment/transport. Get him to the hospital and make the appropriate notifications to social services to get him treated for alcoholism. With his prior history of being intoxicated.. it might actually go some where. Otherwise, you have to get him to admit to driving drunk.

or just remove all the valvestems from his tires if you see him parked at a bar.

That is a very good idea annie You should send it off to MADD. The problem is that usually they dont care and will drive anyways. One of my questions is why is this who is a known drunk driver not being stopped by the RCMP there is always a reason some one could be stopped.

But really that idea could also be sent to the medical people to see what could be done on that side

Richard and Happi, thanks for the idea to send it to MADD - I just did!

Fire, you bring up a couple good points, so I wanted to clarify. This man has been in treatment several times. He behaves himself for a while, then falls back into his old routine. His family has tried to intervene, and so has his doctor, with no success. He doesn't drink at the bar. He goes to the liquor store, and then drinks at home. The police stop him every chance they get, but we are in a very rural area, so they aren't always around. I know many will find this scary, but there are times when we are on a scene, and it can take police between 20 and 40 minutes to get to the scene because so few cover so large a rural area. We do what we can...

And Fire, I agree with you - if a drunk crashes into a tree, so be it... but when they endanger others, I will do what I can to prevent it.

I say yes... epileptic's, uncontrolled diabetics etc can lose their licence, why not people with alcoholism.

I say yes... epileptic's, uncontrolled diabetics etc can lose their licence, why not people with alcoholism.

Problem is though.. this guy seems like he doesn't care. Taking his license away doesn't make him incapable of driving. He just isn't allowed to.

Annie.. I just had a thought.. what about one of those on-board breathalysers. You need to blow into it before you can start the car and if you don't "pass" the car won't start for a certain amount of time before you can test again.

In Florida, we have systems installed in your car when you get gigged for drunk driving as a repeat offender. You have to do the breathalyzer and pass or your car will not start.

Yes, there are ways around it such as drive someone else's car or have someone else blow to get your car started but in reality, neither of those circumstances are common. The habitual drunk driver is usually solo and uses one car, his car.