What can your EMT-B's do??

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so since you asked about EMT-B I assume you don't mean Canadians but I'm gonna post it anyway:

It varies province to province of course, these are the two I know

Alberta:

Oral glucose, Glucagon, D50

ASA, Nitro with or without prescription

Ventolin, Atrovent, Combivent

Nitrous oxide

I.V. therapy, Non-visualized airways (King, Combitube), 3 lead ECG.

Saskatchewan

Oral glucose

ASA

Nitro with prescription only

Activated charcoal

3 lead ECG (application only, not authorized to do rhythm interp.)

I would like for our basic emt's to be allowed to use glucometers prior to admin of oral glucose.

I would like for your basic emt's to load the patient up and take them to be evaluated and cared for by medical professionals instead of sitting around on the scene, wasting time and resources.

If their patient is alert enough to drink oral glucose, they are not emergent enough to require immediate intervention. This is not A, B, C, or D, so they need to see their way to the ER and not wank about what they wish they could do.

Oral glucose is overrated. It takes forever and majority of the time, if it doesn't work fast enough you have to suction it out just to clear the airway. I have always been an advocate for BLS providers to do more. But the more I am around, the more uneducated BLS providers are based on a 3 month coarse I find. I'm thanking God, I took additional courses while in school.

Skills and procedures vary from agency to agency.

EMT-B's at LCEMS:

Start IV's under medic supervision

Admin NTG, ASA, MD prescribed meds

Oxygen

Watch and supervise patients during transfers with saline locks, NS or LR hanging no further meds.

I would like for your basic emt's to load the patient up and take them to be evaluated and cared for by medical professionals instead of sitting around on the scene, wasting time and resources.

If their patient is alert enough to drink oral glucose, they are not emergent enough to require immediate intervention. This is not A, B, C, or D, so they need to see their way to the ER and not wank about what they wish they could do.

If they're not in need of immediate intervention why waste resources by transporting to an ER that's going to hand them OJ and street em?

To original question.

First Aiders can/do give:

Inhaled Analgesia

GTN

Aspirin

Oral Glucose

Ventolin

Nebulised Salbutamol

OPA

BP

AED

Industrial EMT:

All of above

Manually Triggered Ventilators

Laryngeal Mask Airway

Medication Administration (Injection Procedures)

Intravenous cannulation and fluid therapy

Wound Closure

Advanced Airway Management (Under medical supervision)

If they're not in need of immediate intervention why waste resources by transporting to an ER that's going to hand them OJ and street em?

What would you do with a diabetic/hypertensive that is on Atenolol, Vasotec and Glipizide who presents with a blood sugar of 44? You give her an amp of D50 and her mental status improves. She is able to eat. What do you do with her at this point?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.