What can your EMT-B's do??

When i went through school a few years ago the Basic class in wisconsin was 86 hours, plus you had to take a side course to do the aed, combitube, advance skills drugs and you had to pass the state exam and national registry. now they wrapped the skills and basic class into one class lasting 125 hours approximently, plus you still have to pass the state and national registry.

Around here we can use auto, semi auto or manual defib depending upon your service and protocols, BUT almost everyone at the basic level use SEMI-auto defibs. also our ECG skills are non interpretive, so you can learn what they mean so it helps you understand the problem enroute, but you just arent allowed to report your findings the the hospital in the radio or phone report.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in central Illinois and am a member of a rural ambulance, and with the resource hospital out squad operates under, I as a basic can intubate. However, as a basic I can not start a line. I understand how you feel as far as ALS is not always close enough to help, there have been many times that an ALS rig intercepts with us five minutes from the ER and in my opinion by then they are unneeded and unhelpful. If a line was important enough to call for ALS support then it should have been established much sooner then three blocks from the ER. I totally agree with you that basic training should include the ability to run a saline line and intubate. If they don't want a basic to have the ability to push drugs or run anything other than saline that’s fine but there are times that a normal TKO saline will help the patient big time and the 30cc that are given once ALS does intercept are not helpful.

If they don't want a basic to have the ability to push drugs or run anything other than saline that’s fine but there are times that a normal TKO saline will help the patient big time ....

Example??

I as a basic can intubate. However, as a basic I can not start a line. I understand how you feel as far as ALS is not always close enough to help, there have been many times that an ALS rig intercepts with us five minutes from the ER and in my opinion by then they are unneeded and unhelpful.
What? :shock:
If a line was important enough to call for ALS support then it should have been established much sooner then three blocks from the ER. not helpful.
Your right. The line should have been established by ALS on scene or en route.

I totally agree with you that basic training should include the ability to run a saline line and intubate.

NO THEY SHOULD NOT!!!

This has been discussed here ad nauseum and there has not been one valid argument for Basic EMT intubating or initiating IV therapy.....NONE!

Educate yourself youngin' :wink: :roll:

If they don't want a basic to have the ability to push drugs or run anything other than saline that’s fine but there are times that a normal TKO saline will help the patient big time

Do you understand what TKO stands for? It is the minimum amount of fluid given to keep the fluid flowing. Usually an insignificant amount to the patient. I'm really racking my brain here to see how that is going to help the patient big time.

So you can intubate without the ability to push meds? What happens if you elicit a vagal response? A Homer Simpson 'Doh!' is not going to help the patient much. This can be a real danger especially in pediatric patients.

Sorry if it seems like we're jumping down your throat but please do not make blanket statement that have no place in reality.

The problem is not you Jen, it is this mish-mash of crap that permeates EMS today. Medical Directors trying to plug holes or save money by giving privileges to under trained/educated staff. It is a pet peeve to many here at EMT City. Don't take it personally.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.