What can your EMT-B's do??

On occasion there used to be. I haven't visited chat for some time now, so things may have improved . It doesn't last long though, as most can't answer the questions.

I hadn't visited the chatroom much in past months as, indeed, the conversation was rather banale and nothing to do with EMS. The past few days I find myself invalided at home and bored. It led me to the chatroom where I had a great discussion with jmac and SAmedic about analgesia in EMS. It was rather refreshing and spurred me on to spend some time there.

That's the thing, if all the interested (and interesting) people stay away, then the chatroom will never improve. It's down to us, it's that simple.

So Dust, what's stopping you?

WM.

(I must admit that I have had some rather strange conversations in the past though...)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Dust, what's stopping you?

This message...

You were denied access because:

Access denied by access control list.

• :roll:

Besides, I already found me a wife. I don't need the chatroom anymore. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

In a small town in Nebraska- volunteer department that I work with is required to have two EMT-B on the rig before we roll. We are allowed to intibation however we are not allowed in insert IVs. We do have ALS thirteen miles away and can help them with IVs but we hand them the patient over when they get on the rig.

In a small town in Nebraska- volunteer department that I work with is required to have two EMT-B on the rig before we roll. We are allowed to intibation however we are not allowed in insert IVs. We do have ALS thirteen miles away and can help them with IVs but we hand them the patient over when they get on the rig.

exploding_head.jpg

Shame, that while they were "supposedly" teaching this procedure, they did not teach you on how to spell it as well.

R/r 911

Sounds more like something you do while watching pr0n, than a medical procedure.

Although, according to AK, that is a medical procedure. :jerk:

• 2 weeks later...

In South Africa, basics can only administer O2, apply traction splints, provide nitrous oxide for self administration by the patient, nebulize with normal saline, and a number of other very basic things. They instances of having to BLS on an ambo have increased dramatically, and with a total number of not too much more than 1000 ALS in the whole of South Africa, of which not too much more than 500 are practicing within the borders (the rest are earning a liveable salary working on contracts all over the world) it would make sense to have some sort of airway protection for them to be able to perform. But studies have shown that BLS techniques, performed adequately, actually have better outcomes. And if you consider the side effects and complications of intubation, can BLS cope with that? can BLS new in the field cope with being alone with another bls partner on a scene, perform the airway management, experiencing a complication, stress out completely to the point that they can't even perform proper BLS, or worse, get so accustomed to their new technique that they become completely inefficient in the use of standard, accredited, proven, current BLS skills and have to live with the concequences of the patient not surviving due to their inexperience?

It's a very difficult scenario! Good luck with it! And keep us posted!

In South Africa, basics can only administer O2, apply traction splints, provide nitrous oxide for self administration by the patient, nebulize with normal saline, and a number of other very basic things. They instances of having to BLS on an ambo have increased dramatically, and with a total number of not too much more than 1000 ALS in the whole of South Africa, of which not too much more than 500 are practicing within the borders (the rest are earning a liveable salary working on contracts all over the world) it would make sense to have some sort of airway protection for them to be able to perform. But studies have shown that BLS techniques, performed adequately, actually have better outcomes. And if you consider the side effects and complications of intubation, can BLS cope with that? can BLS new in the field cope with being alone with another bls partner on a scene, perform the airway management, experiencing a complication, stress out completely to the point that they can't even perform proper BLS, or worse, get so accustomed to their new technique that they become completely inefficient in the use of standard, accredited, proven, current BLS skills and have to live with the concequences of the patient not surviving due to their inexperience?

It's a very difficult scenario! Good luck with it! And keep us posted!

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.