New Madrid Fault Line.... are we ready? (GDG)

Do you think we are prepared?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If New Madrid goes big, Misery is screwed. Good thing I don't live there anymore.

AFAIK,

The following structures in Missouri were built with earthquakes in mind:

All 3 Nuclear Reactors

Some dams

The following structures are not:

Everything else (including office buildings, hotels, skyscrapers)

I don't think we are prepared but we can be entertained. A couple of years ago I read the book The New Madrid Run. The Earth's Magnetic Field shifts setting off quakes and a few survivors have to trek to safety. Check it out at- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...710209?v=glance .

:roll:

new MAAAAdrid line is a huge secret to most of the world.

im originally from St. Louis (glad i left also, lol).

It will be a disaster of HUGE proportions when it goes, and they are overdue.

some of the locals are aware of the line, many, tho, dont even know that it exists, and they are sitting on top of it.

in my opine, is EMS (anyone, for that matter, prepared?) well, ive never worked in EMS there (anywhere, yet for that matter). my dad is retired MO HP....so, based upon that, and my growing up in that area the answer is a resounding NO!

Ok.. I'm in a state of Misery... or wait.. in THE state of Missouri.. sorry.

Anyway.. I'm not worried about it's effects too much where I'm at... SW Missouri near Springfield... Remember this... the last time that there was a quake along the New Madrid Fault Line, the bells of Boston were heard to ring.. the Mississippi River changed it's course, and the majority of New Madrid was destroyed.

Intrestingly, I used to work at a Show Cave.. and was amazed how safe caves are during Earthquakes.

I can't really comment on how prepared you guys are, what I can highlight here, is the problem South Africa is facing.

We have only one nuclear power station in the country, that is located just west of Cape Town. 10 years after completion of the reactor, they found out that is standing smack bang on top of a fault line. they are currently replacing the original reactor with what they call a "pebble plant" (not sure what the details are).

The original reactor which is still functioning has, as far as I know, not been built to withstand the force of even a minor earth quake.

So yeah, while i was still living in Cape Town, we had a few drills on what to do if something had to happen.

When the then chief asked me what I would do if the reactor blew, my answer was as follow:

I will get in my car and drive upwind for about 50 - 60 km, phone and tel him i a now setting up the JOCC (joint operations communications center)

For those who know the New York City area, and nearby areas of New York State, some of you are aware that there's a fault line cutting across Manhattan Island at 125 Street. There's another one by the Consolidated Edison Plant at the FDR Drive at the East 14 Street exit.

Scariest of all, there's a fault line running directly under the 3 Nuke generators at Indian Point Nuclear Power Station, about 30 miles above NYC.

Aside from Alaska (1964) and California (lost count) residents, and NYC in September 1986, anybody ever been in a temblor? (September 1986 was my one and only temblor, but overall was a nothing compared to most Californian San Andreas Quakes)

Want my honest opinion? If that fault produces an earthquake of the magnitude of the 1811 and 1812 quakes, pretty much everything in a 50-100 radius of the fault break is going to be screwed up. Local response is not even probably going to amount to much and they will have to rely heavily upon outside help (DMAT and DMORT teams, Red Cross, etc).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.