New Madrid Fault Line.... are we ready? (GDG)

Do you think we are prepared?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

The current preparedness of the nation belongs on the Comedy Channel because it is a joke. Katrina "awakened" the nation, but she did not "prepare" the nation. That will take 1-2 more natural disasters.

You are more confident than I am. You see, for every one or two disasters, we have ten to twelve false alarms, like the last two hurricane seasons have been. Millions of dollars to mobilise "disaster" resources half way across the country, just for a little rain. It's the whole 'Boy Who Cried Wolf" scenario in action. It won't be long before government decides this is way too much money and effort to spend for the once-in-a-century "perfect storm".

And I'll agree with them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up in S.IL have always heard the history of New Madrid. If you get the chance, go to Bonne Terre, MO where they have an abandoned lead mine. They give tours through there and you can dive up to 100ft. in the flooded levels. They give a lot of info on the New Madrid fault.

My understanding was that during the 1812 quake the Mississippi River supposedly ran backwards and/or changed course temporarily creating Real Foot Lake. If the population was more back then there would have been a large loss of life in the entire region.

I use to sit on the voting committee for IL Regions 4a., 4b, 5, and St. Louis Metro for Disaster and Mass Casualty Planning. It was before 9/11 so I know it's changed to include terrorism incidents. But the New Madrid fault was a big issue. Like someone Ditch Doc said, if/when the New Madrid let's loose again, we're screwed. No matter how much planning is said and done, it's going to be total chaos, just more organized. It's not much, but it's better than no planning at all.

You are more confident than I am. You see, for every one or two disasters, we have ten to twelve false alarms, like the last two hurricane seasons have been. Millions of dollars to mobilise "disaster" resources half way across the country, just for a little rain. It's the whole 'Boy Who Cried Wolf" scenario in action. It won't be long before government decides this is way too much money and effort to spend for the once-in-a-century "perfect storm".

And I'll agree with them.

Maybe I wasn't more specific. I meant that it would take 1-2 more natural disasters AT LEAST on the level of Katrina; possibly more severe. Anywhere from a category 4-5 hurricane hitting Manhatten up to and including Yellowstone erupting.

Maybe I wasn't more specific. I meant that it would take 1-2 more natural disasters AT LEAST on the level of Katrina; possibly more severe. Anywhere from a category 4-5 hurricane hitting Manhatten up to and including Yellowstone erupting.

Yes, I understood. But what I am saying is that, even after two more huge disasters, we still won't be much better off. Enough time and wasted money will pass in-between those disasters to dampen the enthusiasm. Consequently, everytime "the big one" happens, we'll get all excited again and start over as if the last one never happened. If this country were actually into learning from history, EMS would actually be going somewhere today. It's not. All we ever see is reactive, not proactive.

People quickly forget. Look at 9-11. Everybody jumped on the band wagon. When Katrina hit everybody got on the band wagon. Now here we are and most have forgotten anything even happened. The government has done nothing that instills confidence that the next disaster will go any better.

Supposedly, hurricanes hit the NYC area about every 20 years. I've read up on the "Long Island Express" of 1938, and lived through Hurricane Donna of 1960. With that in mind, I'm packing up a "Go" bag.

Oh, something else I just remembered. When they were trying to make a nuclear power station at Shoreham, Suffolk County NY, back in 1980, one of the relocation centers was supposed to be at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, Nassau County. HOWEVER...it could only be used if the "Islanders" hockey, or the New York "Arrows" Major Indoor Soccer League teams, or the Ringling Brothers/Barnum and Baily Circus, or any major pre-planned event was not in progress!

Wow! Lord Stanley's Cup being of more importance than a nuclear power plant exploding?

WORD, brothers and sisters!

One accomplishment from 9/11 that I have seen is the Indiana SAFE-T system. A state wide interagency trunked communication system. It seems to work well, the biggest problem is getting individual agencies on board with it.

[web:17f3a79af2]http://www.in.gov/ipsc/safe-t/[/web:17f3a79af2]

NIMS drives me up the wall though. And I see what Dust is talking about, FEMA isn't any better off today then it was 2 years ago. And it won't be until the next major event. Then we will talk about making everything better for a year, and priorities will become realigned.

brentoli said

And it won't be until the next major event. Then we will talk about making everything better for a year, and priorities will become realigned.

Somehow, I think your next, unwritten line would be to the effect, that "when all is said and done, there will be more said, than done"?

another good book is called 8.4 about what would happen if New Madrid Fault let go.

Im in Indy; and they figure buildings here would go down.

Of course St.Louis would be decimated. If I remember correctly as far away as Memphis, Nashville and Oklahoma City will be heavily damaged. All along the banks of the Mississippi from MN to New Orleans will be effected. These are only guesses, but IMHO it's impossible to accurately predict the complete results. Plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Even though I was living in LA when Katrina hit, we weren't effected too much. I haven't been back to New Orleans since Katrina, but God, I miss it. :sad1: New Orleans is my favorite big city.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.