Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Paramedic Confrontation

okmedic

I don't want to be disrespectful to law enforcement as I have friends and family that are officers and I can surely understand their challenges just the same as ours. I do find this incident interesting though, the remark was made that an officer was assaulted by the paramedic prior to the camera phone incident where LEO became physical with the medic. Now it's my experience that anytime an officer is assaulted the subject is usually taken down hard and fast. If the assault occured before the video taped incident, why wasn't the medic already in police custody? Just something else to ponder...

I want to make it clear that I wouldn't resist an officer just for the sake of doing so, but it's natural human instinct when someone grabs ahold of you suddenly, your reaction is typically to defend yourself - right or wrong. When a person goes for my throat, I take that as a lethal means of causing me harm and my reaction each and every time is going to be to defend myself, whether it's some punk or a LEO. It might not be the popular choice or even the best option at the time, but it's going to be damn hard for me to just sit back and take it. As previously mentioned, at that point they likely would have a legit reason to place me in custody.

I carefully read that statement and then looked at the entire situation again - it actually made sense and played out well with the video that we have all watched. I know statements can be altered to achieve a different outcome, but in this case it looks like the officer was well in the wrong. I hope the medic is successful with the assault charges and I hope that the officer in question loses his job. He deserves to be terminated at the least.

Ventmedic,

You read too much into my post. I do not suggest retribution against a "downed" officer. My point was that these officers seemed to have forgotten who's on their team.

While I wouldn't refuse care to the person I hate most, I would be terrified to know my life was in the hands of someone I had assaulted.

As far as LEOs go, they are indespensable in our line of work. This guy though seems to have serious control issues. Whatever call he was on (if any) was obviously not so serious he couldn't divert from it to pull over the ambulance, then follow it to the hospital.

I know a lot of good cops, but we've all seen the ones that think they can do anything they want too.

This is a cop that will likely need a medic at some point if he doesn't get his rage and control issues resolved. The point is that he should remember that when dealing with the medics.

I have employees that work at that EMS and know the Paramedic. I am sure I will hear more as it occurs and it is a neighboring EMS. I have several friends that are "brown shirt" but this was crossing the line.

I too may not have completely pulled over as well. The road is narrow and truthfully, I know the speed of most OHP when they are responding to "assist another officer". Enough troubled that they actually turned around and pursued the EMS unit to stop it to give a citation. Amazing, no question to either of the EMS personnel about the patients condition or interest to the patients welfare was made from OHP. I have heard more rumors that I will not nor can discuss.

There is NO reason to restrain or "choke hold" the medic. They know he was unarmed and what threat? They knew exactly where they were going and transporting as it is the ONLY hospital (which one of my EMS is stationed). So, yes they should had handle it there. Unfortunately, they did as they continued to discuss it again (I'll use that term loosely) at the hospital. Yes, we did not see the occurrence but if the officer entered the patient area as described, he was out of line and had no business doing so. The Paramedic should not had resisted arrest but allowed it to occur and delt with it legally. Call for another EMS unit and allow the system to determine if interference and delay of care could be charged to OHP.

Some EMS have recently had "attitude" problems with OHP. Even myself, in which I always maintained a great working relationship and friends with many but have seen recent problems at scenes. Not all are bad, as many are great in assisting and performing their job.

I believe this will not be dropped as many think. OHP is now investigating the trooper that did the choke hold & all are still working without changes. The paramedics are as well. The tribe is also investigating. In other words, they potentially opened a can of worms. Hmm... Native Indian EMS, black medic and patient, family .. white troopers. Unfortunately, this may be attempted to be resolved and swept away but I do hope some positive changes will occur. Also, a new career for a trooper or at least placed in the panhandle and suffer penitence.

I will probably hear more tomorrow as some will be working there, and the news media is keeping people abreast. It will be interesting to see what the D.A. will do.

R/r 911

The family would probably win, if they tried to sue that cop for every last cent he's worth.. and I hope they do. People like that, should not be in law enforcement.

The family would probably win, if they tried to sue that cop for every last cent he's worth.. and I hope they do. People like that, should not be in law enforcement.

I am in agreement with ch on this.

Excessive use of force, totally uncalled for. Cops like this donkey, need serious reality checks. Hopefully, a huge check to the family from his pocket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.