Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Paramedic Confrontation

okmedic

We need some new people to attack ;)

The president of Dust's fan club? The 600lb, now bed ridden, but still actively dispatching captain of the PoDunk Point, NJ Volunteer First Aid Squad, Olga Chum?

Since we are on the discussion of crappy cops et al.

What does everyone think of the Harvard Professor who was arrested the other day????

Apparantly he's good friends with Obama and that apparantly got Obama to say that the cop acted "stupidly" which of course he has since backtracked on that statement.

What is the current conventional wisdom on EMT City regarding this turn of events?

Was it racial profiling or was it a case of a professor wanting to get in the news and the professor escalated the situation to a boiling point?

thoughts and discuss.

I am still trying to understand where anyone assumes he will be making money? The most he can obtain is $75, 0000. That includes attorney fees and everything getting wealthy? I don't think so.

Do I think that he probably did some wrong in the action(s)? Yes, but I also feel that he was attacked. If another person had acted as the trooper did they would be serving time, not just 5 days suspension. Yes, very unfair, but this is not OHP's only problem at this time. I do feel we will see some major overhaul within their programs in the future. This has unfortunately tarnished their well deserved reputation of one of the most professional organizations I knew of.

Does Maurice past work experience has anything to do with this case? No. Sorry, it was not him who placed or interfered with the care or exited his vehicle cursing and demonstrating anger and emotional problems. It does not matter, he performs his job well there and has been employed for a while at that service. How many of those have been in EMS (non fire) for more than 25 years can always say that they agreed with management or others?

Personally, I have only seen him once or twice on the news. Always professionally, the reason the trooper has been quiet because he has too.

It is really old news by now, but will admit it has locally opened the eyes of many.

R/r 911

Since we are on the discussion of crappy cops et al.

What does everyone think of the Harvard Professor who was arrested the other day????

Apparantly he's good friends with Obama and that apparantly got Obama to say that the cop acted "stupidly" which of course he has since backtracked on that statement.

What is the current conventional wisdom on EMT City regarding this turn of events?

Was it racial profiling or was it a case of a professor wanting to get in the news and the professor escalated the situation to a boiling point?

thoughts and discuss.

I don't think the topic WAS about crappy cops at all, it was just this Oklahoma trooper, so Ruff maybe a new topic would be in order.

That said I flipped on the CNN news believing that this thread was still currently news (Vents advice) to see if this "Current Thread" was still being commented on, to observe find 20 cops standing behind the "accused racial profiling member" .... a completely different story with all the LEO supporting the "stupid" accusation.

If only we could have a leader that has the balls to say HE was stupid and screwed up ... well I am liking this Obama guy more and more. I Love the new announcement to improve EDUCATION funding from the cradle to the university level ... if only Canukistan would follow this lead ... now thats the way to get ahead in the world, so BRAVO to that new Prime Minister you have.

Back on topic:

Quote R/r: Do I think that he probably did some wrong in the action(s)? Yes, but I also feel that he was attacked. If another person had acted as the trooper did they would be serving time, not just 5 days suspension. <snip>

Agreed a 5 day holiday is pitiful punishment for an assault on a public safety officer while doing his duty, yes agreed this incident should go to the courts.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Troo...p3D-9SKp7Q.cspx

Trooper Suspended After Confrontation

Stroud, OK -- Officials with the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety say Trooper Daniel Martin has been suspended for five days without pay after an investigation into an incident involving Paramedic Maurice White. Trooper Martin must also go through an anger assessment.

The confrontation between Martin and White was caught on cell phone video on May 24th, after Martin pulled over the ambulance, which was on the way to the hospital with a patient in the back. Lights and sirens were not running; and Martin claimed the ambulance's driver failed to yield to his cruiser.

A letter to Martin from DPS officials says Martin's behavior when approaching "Mr. Franks, the driver of the ambulance, was unnecessary and unprofessional. Your demeanor and language at the scene was also unprofessional. This is not conduct expected by an Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper." The letter also says Trooper Martin was justified in attempting to arrest White, although it "should have been handled differently."

This decision, just one day after Maurice White filed a lawsuit against Martin seeking damages. White's attorney says he will continue pursuing the lawsuit.

I would like to see an official OHP statement. This does not fix the problem.

The first problem is not Trooper Martin's behavior but his judgement. He judged that EMT Franks failed to yield and deserved a ticket. I would like an official OHP statement on whether Trooper Martin exercised sound judgement or poor judgement.

Second is his ability. Is Trooper Martin able to assess the situation, gather information, and make adjustments to his goal? I would like an official OHP statement that Trooper Martin has demonstrated he has sufficient skills.

Third is his knowledge. Does Trooper Martin know the law in regards to interfering emergency medical personnel? I would like an official OHP statement on what they teach their troopers. Was Trooper Martin justified in arresting Paramedic White? I need a futher explanation.

The fourth problem is with Trooper Iker. Does he have the knowledge to understand that Trooper Martin was in error in his attemp to arrest Paramedic White? Could he have instruted Trooper Martin to apologise while they were at the hospital?

The fifth problem why was the OHP not quick with an apology and punishment?

Hopfully the ellected state officials will do something about this or perhaps the people will do something about the ellected officials.

Edited by VinMann

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/23/oklahoma....nded/index.html

CNN) -- An Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper was suspended Wednesday for five days without pay following a highly publicized scuffle with a paramedic in Okfuskee County in May, according to the Highway Patrol. art.trooper.oklahoma.cnn.jpgThis is an image from a video that captured an Oklahoma trooper's scuffle with a paramedic in May.

corner_wire_BL.gif The incident, which was caught on dash-camera and cell-phone video, showed Trooper Daniel Martin pulling over a Creek Nation ambulance for a traffic-stop violation. During the incident, Martin is heard repeatedly using profanity and twice getting into a scuffle with one of the paramedics.

Both paramedics and family members of the patient in the ambulance informed Martin several times by there was a patient inside, but he did not allow the paramedics to continue to the hospital while the video continued.

In a news conference Wednesday, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Captain Chris West said Martin "failed to recognize that it would have been more reasonable and appropriate to immediately allow the ambulance to continue to the hospital once he understood there was a patient onboard the ambulance." video.gifWatch the confrontation »

West also said Martin had "probable cause to make the traffic stop and justification to arrest the paramedic for obstructing a police officer" but that the incident "resulted in conduct unbecoming an officer."

Martin's attorney, Gary James of Oklahoma City, did not immediately return a phone call from CNN.

In a disciplinary letter sent to Martin, Oklahoma Public Safety Department Commissioner Kevin Ward, concluded that the "disregard for the welfare of the patient [justified] severe discipline."

Martin will also be required to take an anger assessment, West said. The trooper had no previous discipline action in his record, according to West.

On Tuesday, the paramedic involved in the scuffle, Maurice White, filed a lawsuit against Martin in federal court claiming his civil rights were violated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had probable cause to make the stop?

Five day without pay is severe discipline?

advertisement.gif

• 10 months later...

A horse is a horse, of course of course, and no one can beat a dead horse, of course, that is of course unless the horse has risen from the dead.....

What can i say, found this randomly surfing the tube...

Edited by BushyFromOz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.