Age = Experience?

Well, I know I'm still generally new here, but I was just wondering what you guys thought about this. I am a 17 year old (I'll be 18 in June!) EMT-Basic, and I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get my license, including:

3) be at least seventeen (17) years of age and meet the following requirements:(a) be affiliated with a service and shall submit a letter of support from the service

director; and

(shall notify the bureau, in writing, of any change of service affiliation; and

© shall submit a notarized parental or guardian consent;

(4) all applicants who are graduates of a bureau approved EMS training program may apply for

graduate licensing, which allows them to work temporarily under supervision, as outlined in 7.27.2.8 NMAC of

these rules;

(5) all applicants applying to be licensed, shall meet the following requirements:

(a) submit a completed, bureau approved license application form; and

(provide evidence of current bureau approved CPR certification; and

© present a certificate of completion from an EMTB

course completed at a bureau approved

EMS training program, and accomplished within the previous nine (9) months; and

(d) successfully complete the EMTB

licensing examination; the initial state

licensing examination shall be completed within nine (9) months based on the date of course completion; successful

completion of the licensing examination process that results in the issuance of a license shall be completed within

twentyfour

(24) months based on the date of course completion;

(e) meet all other licensing requirements found in 7.27.2.8 NMAC of these rules; and

(f) pay all examination and licensure fees as required by these rules;

(g) all applicants who are graduates of a bureau approved EMS training program may apply for

graduate licensing which allows them to work temporarily under supervision, as outlined in 7.27.2.8 NMAC of these

rules;

(6) persons who do not have a certificate of completion from a bureau approved EMTB

training

program, but are currently licensed or certified in another state or certified with the national registry at the EMTB

level, may apply for licensure as provided below:

(a) submit an application along with documentation of current outofstate

certification or

license, or national registry certification; and

(provide evidence of current bureau approved CPR certification; and

© pay all examination and licensure fees as required by these rules; and

(d) successfully complete a bureau approved outofstate

transition course, as determined by

the bureau; and

(e) successfully complete the EMTB

licensing examination; the initial state

licensing examination shall be completed within nine (9) months based on the date of application; successful

completion of the licensing examination process

I went through all of these requirements, and passed all of them. :) I had my graduate's license from June until December, went to test site in December, and passed the state exam. So I now have my full license.

Now...I know as a 17 year old, they can dictate what calls I do or do not go out on. I had one on Monday night that involved active seizures. And as being part of a rural service, any hospital is about an hour away, so lets just say this was an interesting call (The driver, who is an Intermediate, said the look on my face when he looked back there was priceless....a mix between concern, and like I didn't believe what was happening). Anyways, the paramedic I was with has been very protective of me ever since I started, and he told my mom (he sees her all the time) that he normally wouldn't have let me go out on a call like that. He told her he usually just keeps me to the medical/accident calls.

So...my question to you guys is....what do you think about younger people being in this field? Would you try to protect them too? I'm not the first young person in this particular service...so they're used to have young ones. They always tease me saying "We'll get you on a GOOD one, just wait".

I've just kind of been thinking about this today, and I was wondering what other people thought.

Thanks!

Edited by Anna_09

I believe this topic has been raised time and again, but here is my opinion but I have grown up in a very different system than you.

In my state (Maryland) you can become an EMT-Basic at 16. Full basic and all, except you can not have sole patient care in the back, someone >18 has to be with you. Also, we don't have the ability to pick and chose calls. If I had a junior member (16-18 and still in High School) riding with me, they would go on every call I did, no exceptions. Did that mean I always let them out of the unit right away? No. I was ultimately responsible for their safety and well being, and on occasion, I saw it fit to have them remain in the unit, and then en route to the hospital (<10 minute transport time) they would sit up front with my driver. I did not like doing that though as I believe, when you sign up for this job, you sign up for it entirely, not just for the fun calls or the easy calls. Good, bad, happy, ugly, you get to do and experience it all when you're with me.

I have had a member, though, who started out on my night crew at 16. Truly "green" and amazingly wonderful kid. Helped him progress through the requirements (he had some learning disabilities) and really felt like I took him under my wing. Essentially, I felt like a big sister to him and he felt the same way. I looked after him, and even helped him out with his regular school work when he fell behind. Mentor, preceptor, friend whatever you choose to label it, that was how it was. Never under any circumstance though, would I shelter him or protect him from a call. That look of horror/shock/uneasyness will not get you far in EMS. They will only be hindering you by protecting you from the rougher calls. What do they expect to happen when you turn 18? To just suddenly be mature enough to handle them? Once you're 18 and you're off on your own in the back of that ambulance... will you still be shocked and scared... or will you continue to select and choose the types of calls you run?

Just my thoughts, but consider them? By protecting you as you say they are doing... is that really going to be a benefit to you in the future?

I had one on Monday night that involved active seizures. <snip> ...he told my mom (he sees her all the time) that he normally wouldn't have let me go out on a call like that. He told her he usually just keeps me to the medical/accident calls.

Seizures isn't a medical call? Since when?

Your paramedic sounds like a weirdo. :rolleyes:

You're either old enough to work all patients, or you're old enough to work no patients. This picking and choosing crap is nonsense and gives me little faith in your organisation. You're either a member of the team or you are not.

Edited by Dustdevil

Picking and choosing which patient's you are exposed to is BS. If your going to be in the ambulance, your going to have to assist your medic. Seizure calls, for the most part aren't all that bad. Why would he think being on a trauma call (ie: Accident call) is more appropriate?

Your a member of a team when your riding. I can't pick and choose which calls I go on and your medic shouldn't be choosing for you either. Either your old enough (read mature) to ride or your not. Only you can make that decision.

I have to agree with the others on this one. There is only one way to get experience, and that is, with experience. You won't get any if you don't do it. Picking and choosing what calls you go to is a terrible idea on your companies behalf because you will be getting half of what happens. To be in this field, you should have a high level of maturity and being exposed to people at their worst moments will let you realize that real quick like a slap in the face with sunburn.

That being said, not everyone should be on the ambulance. Though, their age really shouldn't be a factor. Their are people in their 40s who can't handle what is seen or goes on. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders and you are showing maturity by wanting to discuss this matter with people by putting your neck out to the wolves.

Learn the most the can, as much as you can. Go on every call you can and learn from everything. Ask questions, your education never stops. Starting young can be really good in your case. You don't seem like an idiot who is in it for the glamor and have your name in the paper as the hero.

So yea, age can be a factor in your experience, but it truly depends on the person.

Only good reason I've heard for an arbitrary age requirement is that legally an individual may not be able to complete legal documents, meaning they couldn't sign a PCR without a parent. All the other reasons assumed that age=maturity. Which in the case of 17, versus, 18, versus 19 year olds isn't the case consistently. 18 versus 25 maybe.

Seizures isn't a medical call? Since when?

Your paramedic sounds like a weirdo. :rolleyes:

You're either old enough to work all patients, or you're old enough to work no patients. This picking and choosing crap is nonsense and gives me little faith in your organisation. You're either a member of the team or you are not.

Hey I pick and choose calls all the time, especially near shift change :lol:

Okay, most people on here know where I stand with this, but since it's been brought up again, for your sake of being new I'll repeat myself.

I was young when I first got into EMS (tested day I turned 18 - my state is a NR state so you have to be 18 to even test and be certified though you can start class at 17 but cannot test until after your 18th birthday). When I started the majority of the services would hire at 18, but you could not drive until 21 for insurance reasons. There are a few places which have cadet options for those 16-21 that are interested in EMS as now the majority of services won't hire until 21. Where I work part time requires you to be 25 to even be hired and truthfully it is one of the most professional services I ever worked for.

I can speak from a young EMS person's perspective - I felt overwhelmed and very ill prepared. Now I think alot of that was the same as any new person in EMS that gets thrown out there. Add the youth of an 18 year old or younger, and it's not a good mix. Also, alot of the garbage that goes on within services I think is contributed to by the youth of the people working there. As I stated earlier - the services where I have worked that required older applicants tended to have a more professional attitude leaning towards what I would see as a more ideal work environment. Understand I am still the youngest anywhere I have worked and am really waiting for the day I can say I'm not ! Now everybody I work with has 5 years or more on me !

I'm not speaking against you as a younger EMS worker. I think it's great you've got the motivation and ambition. That's fantastic, but if they are going to pick and choose your calls you need to be riding as a third (which frankly I think any responsible service will do for a new employee for at least a month or more regardless of experience level). At this point, you are not able to sign any legal contract which yes, that includes the PCR as it is a legal document or any incident report. Because of this, I would have strong reservations allowing you to care solely for a patient (heck I would any new EMT - we did 150 hours of ride time when I got oriented regardless of our level prior to being cut loose). In addition to this, I would allow you to ride as a third on any and all calls coming across giving you the experience without as much responsibility.

Finally - I am wondering why they sent you on an active seizures call and had you as a new basic as the attendant and an intermediate driving? The intermediate is a higher level of care and I seriously question your service's judgement on this call. And this statement of seizures aren't a medical call? Huh? Only allowing accident/medical calls? Accidents/trauma can be challenging calls to say the least and in this area frequently require the higher level services of a medic (my state does not recognize intermediates at this time though they are looking at creating a mid level provider). Medical calls can go bad quick, and I've had many a seizure patient that left me quite nervous even with the experience I now have. One could actually face dispilinary action here for downgrading such a patient (and its happened that's why this is in place). I'd think long and hard about where I was working - it doesn't seem they are setting a good foundation for you. I don't come from a large urban service either - where I work PT is a very rural service with roughly the same transport times (I prefer rural medicine though I have worked urban a little bit just for a change most with greater than 30 min transports most around an hour). We aren't huge but decent sized. However, patient care is the utmost concern which is why we have the protocols in place and crew requirements that we do. Good luck.

Edited by fireflymedic

If your only 17, further your education before you get into the world of medicine. I mean this EMT thing is a cool hobby and all, you can even do it for free like some morons, but if you want a good foundation join the military, or get into a college RN program your so young the world is yours, and then you will be ready and exposed to what ever comes your way.

:withstupid: Nicely put sir.

I have a tough time believing that any 17 year old possesses the maturity necessary for this kind of job, but I admit there are always (rare) exceptions. In any case, the above poster is right: there are a lot of other things you should be thinking about doing right now other than worrying about your next few months as an EMT-B.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.