For those that are JUST EMTS and PARAMEDICS

tniuqs

Sorry guys, but they have the funding and the resources to put out propaganda like this; we do not. I wouldn't be too concerned yet- there are still too many variations on prehospital care for them to claim that Fire based EMS is the only way to go. Money is the number one concern- especially in smaller communities- and converting FSR to a cross trained system is still cost prohibitive for many places.

3rd service providers work well in some areas, while they have failed miserably in others. Lots of reasons- politics, patient and population demographics, size and lay out of the city- we all know the variables.

In some places, I know that their fire based EMS system is progressive and top notch. In many others, it is sorely lacking.

Point being, like it or not, the more tools(certifications/qualifications/education you have as a provider, the better off you- and the citizens- will be. You become far more valuable to the people you provide service to, and more of an asset to your employer and municipality. These days, everyone is being required to do more with less- from public safety to running your local bakery.

In a perfect world, EMS would be pure EMS, and fire would put out fires. It doesn't work that way anymore.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a perfect world, EMS would be pure EMS, and fire would put out fires. It doesn't work that way anymore.

Anymore??

Am I off my rocker? I thought EMS mainly originated from Fire (maybe just Canada). I am pretty sure integraded services used to be the standard.... not so much now.

I may be wrong though.

It does seem that the Firemedics I talk to think integraded services are the wave of the future....

I believe Fire depts use EMS to validate thier own full-time existance.

Here is a cut and paste from a nearby small city

XXXX Emergency Services responds to approximately 4400 emergencies within the city and surrounding area. Of those calls, roughly 1100 are Fire/Rescue related and 3300 are medical responses

they have 5 fire stations that are all staffed full time

Hmmm...... 1100calls/year - 5 stations? All with full time staff??

Edited by mobey

The IAFF sucks. Leave EMS alone. Protect your own without sacrificing ours and contributing to really shitty patient care....

Wendy

CO EMT-B

A point to ponder, EMS can't even get EMS straight so why worry about this? At least with NFPA or IAFF, there are international standards. Within EMS, you have every end of the spectrum from the horrible to the amazing and everything in between.

“Firefighters trained as EMT’s or paramedics deliver the same emergency medical services as single role paramedics assessing the patient’s condition… even transporting patients to the hospital and they do it all while bitching about being on the ambulance instead of the fire truck.”

Heroes!!

Fire-based EMS - BLAHHHHHH!!

I wouldn't be too concerned yet- there are still too many variations on prehospital care for them to claim that Fire based EMS is the only way to go. Money is the number one concern- especially in smaller communities- and converting FSR to a cross trained system is still cost prohibitive for many places.

A point to ponder, EMS can't even get EMS straight so why worry about this?

Don't be concerned? Why worry? Yeah right. I'm watching this economy kill third service providers all around me, as cities with quality services decide saving a buck is more important and will score points with the IAFF after a layoff.

At least with NFPA or IAFF, there are international standards of suck.

Fixed that for ya.

Can we put them out of our misery? PLEASE???????

Don't get me wrong. Fire departments do a lot of good and necessary work, but you can't do 2 jobs at 1 time. I also agree with the question of how the devil they plan to move a pt on the fire truck. Get the EMS providers in there and help us get the funding. Don't take our funding and then gripe because it takes too long to get an ambulance when one's needed.

Just trying to think out of the box and just throwing an idea out there.

Lobby government, local, state/province, and national to change building codes, (kill 2 birds with one stone per say) ... make it law that all new building's, to be built with mandatory with sprinkler systems installed.

Look at it this way.

Less Fire risk to people = less cost in health care.

Less Property Damage = less cost to communities, individuals.

Lower property insurance rates = less cost to everyone.

Less funding required for Fire Protection = funds available for Health Care ..

Or just make all LEOs .... Fire Fighters, you only need one man to drive a fire truck after all.

It always amazes me why the IAFF claim that their response times are faster for medical calls using a huge truck and more staff than one can swing a cat at. This has to equates to ++++ costs overall, saying that its free service is not the real economic truth.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Is this really a suprise to anyone EMS originated from Fire, plus Fire based ems does not work in all communities. I am a little bias however I do work in a fire based system, and it works very well where I live. EMS is just a steeping stone job and will never ever truly be a career, that is just that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.