your opinion on a manditory 2 year degree for paramedic

2 year degree, good or bad?  

118 members have voted

1. 1.

• good
    • bad

Someone enlighten me on what an associate's degree entails. And what the difference is between that and a certification.

The certification doesn't require you to complete additional courses in humanities (Literature etc.), ethics, a history, and 4 electives. You will save about 1 semester's tuition not getting the degree vs. getting the cert.

I already have other advanced degrees, so I will recieve the Associates of Applied Technology with credit recieved from other degree programs.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT - I am actually quite frequently asked by patients how long I went to school for to do this. I am older than I look, so people may see me as straight outta high school. Also the general public here has zero clue that there are different levels of paramedic in the city. We all wear the same uniform, we all drive the same ambulances, we all are called paramedics. I would be embarrassed to say the least if I told them I had only about 3 weeks full time education and I am caring for you. That I never really had any clinical or preceptorship, but "Hey, so how are ya feeling..."

That's exactly what I was thinking about. (For those of you who don't know I'll be a PCP student in September.) In a few years, when a pt asks me "So what did you need to do to be a paramedic?" I will be able to proudly say I have a BSc in Paramedicine and to be completely honest this is important to me because I also look much younger than I am and want to be respected and trusted by my pts.

That's reminds me off the FedEx commercial when the guy informs the mail clerk that he has a MBA. She then tells him she'll have to show him how to do it. Classic. :lol:

In my real job in IT (Being a medic is for fun! hahahaa) I have encountered this sort of thing...like the time we had a guy come in supposedly with a MS in Computer Science...he didn't know what a mouse was...or how to use it.

You usually encounter this when you have a new grad who is hired and have to teach them to program C or some language they should already know...

I have several degrees...but they didn't teach me everything I needed to know--you have to take what you have learned and apply yourself-and learn how to do it to the best of your abilities. The degree is only preparation for the real world, not replacing it.

well that sums it up for me. Hard to tell if you are being a smart ass or you really do not know what the discussion is about.

I resemble that smart ass remark...Relax dude, we don't have have associate's degree's here. It is certificate, college diploma, or univeristy degree basically.

That's exactly what I was thinking about. (For those of you who don't know I'll be a PCP student in September.) In a few years, when a pt asks me "So what did you need to do to be a paramedic?" I will be able to proudly say I have a BSc in Paramedicine and to be completely honest this is important to me because I also look much younger than I am and want to be respected and trusted by my pts.

Respect and trust are earned, and not with a degree. I have my AS in EMS and nothing may have changed with my pay, but I feel better about MYSELF and sorry - I don't give a DAMN what anyone else thinks about me and my education..including my patients.

I did not get into EMS for the money, for there is none.

I did not get into EMS to be a hero, for there are none.

I did not get into EMS to save lives, for that so seldom happens.

I got into EMS to help the living make it through the worst day in their lives. Whether it be a shoulder to cry on or NTG under the tongue, for that is what I am there for.

I have been reading this post today and the shallowness of that comment made me post this, so I am sorry if I have offended anyone.

And for the record, I think if you are wanting to be a paramedic you should have a degree and not just because I have one.

Shannon

Respect and trust are earned, and not with a degree. I have my AS in EMS and nothing may have changed with my pay, but I feel better about MYSELF and sorry - I don't give a DAMN what anyone else thinks about me and my education..including my patients.

I did not get into EMS for the money, for there is none.

I did not get into EMS to be a hero, for there are none.

I did not get into EMS to save lives, for that so seldom happens.

I got into EMS to help the living make it through the worst day in their lives. Whether it be a shoulder to cry on or NTG under the tongue, for that is what I am there for.

I have been reading this post today and the shallowness of that comment made me post this, so I am sorry if I have offended anyone.

And for the record, I think if you are wanting to be a paramedic you should have a degree and not just because I have one.

You didn't offend anyone Shannon. I don't think anyone should be offended about what is being discussed here...implied attitude or not...

You should feel better about yourself about getting an AS (associates?) in paramedicine. But you can probably say you are in the minority, at least for now.

I don't give a DAMN what anyone else thinks about me and my education..including my patients.

Hmmmm I have issue with that statement, but anyways....I have already commented on this...So all things being equal you would rather be treated with a EMS employee with 2 weeks or 2 years education? I don't care if INDIVIDUALLY OUTSIDE OF TRADITIONAL EDUCATION you took it upon yourself to expand your education. Yes, I know the old analogy "What do you call a medical student who graduates at the bottom of their class? Doctor." But still.

EMS #1 is a PR gig pure and simple. As are all of police/fire/ambulance. I don't have the experience of Rid, RichB, Buddha, whatever.....If you can't talk with your pt. If can't get that trust...problems ensue. Honestly I think talking with a patient and having them smile at me is priority # 1 (and trust me I'm no bleeding heart, I'm sure most would say the opposite). 70 y/o dude with CP smiling or talking about hockey after 2 mins of assessment means more to me then "Oh sir, lemme get an IV, and NTG, and...." Remember decreased anxiety, decrease MVO2....

My point is education plays a HUGE role in that. To know what you're talking about.

And so forth...

EDIT - To know that an emerg doc or neurologist or cardiologist turned to a family member and say something, and have that family member say "Ya, that is what the paramedic said" and have the physician agree, to me, is awesome. It increases our "word of mouth rep" no matter how tragic. It makes us look better, regardless of scope of practice. That is what education brings.

Sorry...I think another point should be mentioned...along the same vein...

You don't know who you run into. Alot of people, at least in my experience (doing 5-10 911 calls a 12 hour shift) know what they are talking about (general public not nurisng homes). People know generally what their elderly loved one's or otherwise meds do. I don't know, as well as most of you, know what every med does, especially the rare ones. Especially with multiple uses and such. It is a common occurrence where I am asked what meds do, indirectly know what is going on with a loved one (when the family member knows for sure)., and so forth. I don't pretend to know everything, but it is nice to know that in the majority of cases, family nods their head in agreement, relief, and thanks when I speak with them.

To start I agree with MedicShannon. I can only comment on Ks. regs. To test for medic in Ks. you have to have an Ass. Degree or higher. You can take the medic class and go somewhere else an take the national test. I myself have science and technology degree's prior to even getting into EMS, so that requirment didnt bother me. Although i did have to takle an A&P course. I am a volly at home and work partime in the city to keep my skills and knowledge from wilting. I would love to see more education for medic's I belive it would benifit the entire service not just the medic

I don't think it should be mandatory. I know a lot of medics who do not have a AA or AS that know a whole lot more than the ones that do. That is also the same with most jobs though. Not saying that it is always true. I just don't think because you have a piece of paper says you have an AA or AS makes you a better medic. I personally plan on getting my AA or AS after I finish medic school. It opens a lot more doors but it does not mean I will be a better medic. ( just my opinion not necessarily yours)