Maybe We're Wrong

ERDoc

27 members have voted

1. 1. After reading the article, what do you think?

• Education is overrated
    • Streetsmarts are more important
    • You learn all you need to know in the field
    • Everything you need to know was taught in class and they didn't read from the book once
    • You learn more from those whose cards were printed on papyrus than you can from the lastest textbook
    • Experience without education is useless

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You raise a good point, as I have hired/fired several middle-aged, incredibly well educated, individuals who could not function in the EMS world (usually engineers or pilots who retired from first job). Some people can only function in careers that are strictly black & white with no grey. On the flip side, I know some very street smart individuals who could use more instruction (they know when to give the drug, but dont know why they are giving the drug). It would seem that somewhere in the middle is where you want to be; i found that one of the most ideal characteristics a medic can have is a good sense of humor. I am not sure why, but the funny guy is usually one of the better medics, whereas the jerk that has a permanant scowl in his face is usually the most incompetent.

IMHO, and I might get called to the carpet on this, but.....I think it has to be a fine line between both. That's why I prefer that anyone advancing to Intermediate or Paramedic has GOT to have at least a couple of years in the field. They get the adverse situations, exposed to experience and deal with the general public. And yes, I know there are some that think going A(B) to I to P is the way to go, but I guess I'm old school enough to can't help thinking that is the best way to go. It also let's you know before someone get's into the P class whether or not they can handle field work.

It also gives them a chance to be proficient with all the gadgets and gizmos used in everyday EMS life.

Jumping off my little box now.

I feel like there's a need for both. You need to have education to create a basis so that you know what you need to know before you walk into a scenario, or you need to know what's going on internally when you're faced with a situation. At the same time, you need to have the street education to be able to work with people and see that grey area and know when to bend and when you need to hold strong.

Take CPR....what good would all those chest compressions be if you didn't know why you were doing them? Would you still think they are as important? You might just do them, but not really care if you don't know why they're so important.

It still amazes me how many people still look at entry to EMS is all about 'how fast can I get into an ambulance?' and cannot function past 'the book says' mentality toward patient care!

Experience is good for things like HOW to administer care, but you have to know WHY you're even doing a certain procedure in the first place!

Knowing what outcome to expect from a drug, or other procedure helps you deal with the 'odd case' where it 'just didn't work'. You also are ready to do 'something' before too much time elapses and it becomes 'too late to do anything'!

I'm not saying we all need to eat a PDR, and memorize every page of it's contents.

BUT...

Knowing which major groups of drugs interact with each other (both positively and negatively), definately helps when you get a reaction!

Knowing WHY you're giving the drug (or doing a speciffic procedure) in ANY situation is a MUST! The ONLY way you'll know this, is through EDUCATION!

While I think there are some 'time wasting classes' in a degree program, I'm fully prepared to take them, and devote as much time to them as they deserve. However, the 'important classes' that relate directly to the reason I'm in college in the first place will be of a higher 'priority' than those b/s classes required by some collegiate board of reagents (or whomever decides which classes are needed to get a degree).

You learn more from those whose cards were printed on papyrus than you can from the lastest textbook

Well I voted this way, but with one previso ... that those with the papyrus credentials had a modern day tempered approach to evidence based medicine, as not all studies have validity.

The vast majority of my continuing education is a result of direct contact with MDs and RNs and oddly some with a very crabby outward percieved "demenour" but good hearts.

Lumping the humour personality type, funny vs the grumpy appearing is stereo typing and a huge error (sounds a bit jaded already) as just because one comes from this background or that ... academic or street really has little bearing as we are humans too with good days and bad.

off topic ... had a partner once nick named "Mr. Sunshine" tonge in cheek ... but my god he knew his stuff.

What does make the biggest difference to me is a sincere effort and passion to learn over ones entire carreer ... I am honestly disgusted with the "Your only as GOOD as your last Call" a philosophy more than prevalent in and with antiquated EMS employers and managers.

That said one must have tempered experiance to factor in not only the "academic" portion of emergency medicine but distinguish between the personal anicdotal observations and statistical EBM, yup funny thing most times its all grey but there are many ways to skin a cat ... if you follow my ramblings.

cheers

Me...I just love the Onion... :D While Onion articles tend to be a bit farcical, it does point out that, as in ALL parts of medicine, there are those that are WAY book smart, WAY street smart, and WAY good at getting the "book smarts" translated into action and "street smarts." I have seen in every aspect, from prehospital, RN, to MD. Unfortunately, the first two are much more "common" attributes, and the third is a little scarce for my liking.