New Year's Confessions - Whackerism

WolfmanHarris

No. I do not want to know who's significant other or co-worker you felt up while drunk at a Christmas party. Well, I do, but not in this thread.

Today I'm coming to you with a confession. I have whacker tendencies. I am what you call Whacker-curious. I have been in the closet on this and trying to fight my urges for a lightbar or set of awesome LED sunglasses and in that spirit I encourage others fighting this affliction you share your whacker secrets.

1) On my desk right now, is this. It was a Christmas gift from before I went to Paramedic school. I press the L&S button on it from time to time, and even roll it around on my desk. (Usually it just sits on stand-by due to SSM)

2) I still look every time an emergency vehicle goes by AND comment on it to those around me.

3) A large number of my t-shirts refer to my old Volunteer Campus team or my school program. (Though I've gotten better and only wear them around the house.)

This is the burden I carry and I know I'm not alone. Through the healing that comes with sharing, we can all hope to control and live with our secret whackerisms.

- Matt

:D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I myself do not suffer from this disease . However, I do sympathise with you as I have witnessed some colleagues struggle with their inner whacker.

They can tell which station is being toned out even before the dispatcher speaks. On occasion, depending on the way the wind blows, we can receive tones from the neighbouring county. How bad is it if you can recognise THOSE station tones? Whackerism is not to be treated lightly. You should be able to recognise the S & S almost immediately. I have taken it upon myself to break various partners from this terrible plight. If they turn up the radio just to hear what another station's call is, they get whacked with an ET tube. If they have the pager on an open channel while I'm sleeping, they just get beat down.

Several of my chiefs have similar toys either on their desks, or in the display case behind them. My attitude towards that is, "So What?"

I gave my toy Caddylance to a collector some 10 years ago, but I have a Matchbox (brand and trade name) type one ambulance in a drawer somewhere. It does not have my VAS, NYC or FDNY markings on it.

... they get whacked with an ET tube.

Ouch!

My name is Annie, and I suffer from whacker tendencies (Welcome to the EMS Whacker Anon meeting, Matt, we love you!)...

I have a "small" collection of Matchbox/Hot Wheels/Lego/Playmobil/Tonka ambulances, and have the Playmobil hospital. You have to love the little IV's and the cardiac monitor....

I too look every time an ambulance goes by (but in my area, just to see who is driving so I can harass them later).

I have a number of EMS related tshirts and sweatpants, but have recently been trying very hard to expand my wardrobe to more than navy blue clothing. It has been a struggle as I am emotionally attached to my sweats with "Keep Back 200 Feet" across the behind...

And... the dead giveaway.... I still have a tiny crush on Randolph Mantooth.....

Which one, the "Mighty World Ambulance"? Got that from the local educational toy store.

Did a quick google of Whacker and found this site. Made me laugh and realize, that there's always someone worse. In some of these cases, far, far, far FAR worse.

PolicePosers.com

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.