Ever Carry a Gun on the Ambulance ?

Ever Carried a Gun on the ambulance  

60 members have voted

1. 1.

• All the time
    • Rarely
    • Never

Name one scene that doesn't have inherent dangers.

EVERY scene has some danger, no matter how small or insignificant it may be, there is a level of danger at every scene.

That's what I was going to initially say. But I was concerned on making a blanket statement knowing someone would try and nit-pick it apart.

Thank you.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is,

If I needed a gun or vest to enter a scene or to feel safe then I’m finding another job. I’m not putting my life in danger or potentially in danger from gunfire to help others.

The vest doesn't MAKE you safe. It it makes you FEEL safe, you're an idiot. The vest is a last line of defense for a situation that goes unexpectedly tits-up.

Vest, sure. My biggest debate is whether I'd rather have a stab vest or ballistic. Even in a small town someone can be unstable and violent, and I'd prefer to have that last line of defense if I don't see something coming and diffuse or avoid it.

Firearm, no. I cannot for the life of me rectify the combination of a firearm with healthcare in the standard civilian setting in my head. (Meaning I understand being armed in the Military, SAR, etc.)

Apparantley some of you have not found yourself in a dangerous scene where PD was not present, and was several minutes away, or were not even enroute to start with (your cut finger patient turned into a stabbing at a domestic call, with the drunk perp still on scene). With that being said, I do not think you need a gun for most scenes we encounter. The only time I carried was during times of civil unrest, when it was more likely that anyone in uniform would become a target.

I will tell that to my old partner! Working in a small quiet rural town. Responded to a diabetic call. Arrived on scene, family told him that pt was in bed room and that his bgl had gone low again. Partner walked in bedroom, pt not there. Partner called out his name. Pt walked out of bathroom and shot partner 4 times in the chest with a 30.06 hunting rifle! Yes, PD did have to shoot and kill the pt, as he tried to shoot them when they showed up.

This is a wake up call that any call can go south quickly. You never know what you will walk into, on any call.

Partner did survive and returned to ems 2 years later. He is a lot more cautious on every call he goes on. He also wears a vest fulltime now. It would not have stopped a rifle round, but may have slowed them down some!

Be Prepared for the Unexpected!

Glad to hear your partner pulled through and made it back on the job.

I cant remember where I read it but Gary Ludwig (an EMS Chief for Memphis Fire Dept.) wrote an article on something like this. I want to say it was Fire Rescue Magazine. Anyways one of his major highlight in the article was accidental activation of life call necklaces and how alot of times people dont know they did it. Thus Fire and EMS respond and when they get no answer from sleeping "patients" they sometimes have to force entry. This in turn startles the unsuspecting person thinking they are being robbed and "boom" the rescuers now need rescuing.

The worst part about this scenario is that the attacker isnt even intending to do harm to us as healthcare providers... they are defending themselves against an intruder.

So even in a situation that "normally" wouldnt have a chance of becoming dangerous, it can STILL happen. So I guess anyone wearing body arm still only works or should work in a war zone?

I've had a couple like that, without shooting. The "I've fallen and can't get up" buttons misfire, the person is so fully asleep, they don't hear the FD sledgehammer banging on their door until it splinters, and suddenly they're awake and screaming, understandably, "Who's going to pay for that door?"

Well Bushy, it sure as hell sounds like you're saying "we're right, you're wrong."

Thats interesting, because that exactly how i understood labelling the legislation deemed suitable for australia and australia's situation (despite the fact i dont necessarily agree with it) as "draconian", to me it comes across as "were right, your wrong" also.

Well, I'm with my antipodean friends on this one. I don't suppose it would occur to anyone here, but this discussion would probably only ever take place on a US website.

GUNS+EMS=Disaster!

WM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.