Ever Carry a Gun on the Ambulance ?

Ever Carried a Gun on the ambulance  

60 members have voted

1. 1.

• All the time
    • Rarely
    • Never

"Before a person can buy a firearm, they must obtain a Permit To Acquire. The first permit has a mandatory 28 day delay before it is first issued. In some states (e.g. Queensland, Victoria, and New South Wales), this is waived for second and subsequent firearms of the same class. For each firearm a "Genuine Reason" must be given, relating to pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting. Self-defence is not accepted as a reason for issuing a licence. Each firearm in Australia must be registered to the owner by serial number. "

You and I have very different definitions of "free".

** sigh **

Ill just walk in the other direction, i should have learned by now that a lot of people here are totally incapable of understanding this subject from our non-US point of view. :?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

** sigh **

Ill just walk in the other direction, i should have learned by now that a lot of people here are totally incapable of understanding this subject from our non-US point of view. :?

Do you have any argument to offer other that "Guns kill people. It's hard to get guns here in Australia, so therefore I'm safer. Even though I'm probably not. You Americans are idiots for considering this because that's not how we do things in Australia..."?

Do you have any argument to offer other that "Guns kill people. It's hard to get guns here in Australia, so therefore I'm safer. Even though I'm probably not. You Americans are idiots for considering this because that's not how we do things in Australia..."?

its not hard to get them, its actually quite easy. Its not a difficult process by any stretch of the imagination, it just takes time that a lot of people couldn't be bothered with. Im not for banning fireamrs either, In fact, i believe that part of the problem the UK has was that by outlawing nearly all firearms it created a massive black market trade :shock:

I dind't say americans were idiots, i said some of you are incapable of understanding we do it differently., and im not saying we are right and you are wrong, im saying we are different. And i dont believe carry and conceal is a solution for my country, and i didn't say i was "safer" i said i was less likely to get shot.

I dind't say americans were idiots, i said some of you are incapable of understanding we do it differently., and im not saying we are right and you are wrong, im saying we are different. And i dont believe carry and conceal is a solution for my country, and i didn't say i was "safer" i said i was less likely to get shot.

Well Bushy, it sure as hell sounds like you're saying "we're right, you're wrong."

As for being less likely to get shot, there's these delightful little anachronisms in the US called "Gun-Free Zones." Places like churches, malls, schools, and colleges, where sometimes the owners decide that guns are not allowed regardless of permit. They establish a Gun Free Zone because they think it makes everyone there safer.

I call them "Criminal Safety and Empowerment Zones."

And no, I'm not saying I would shoot an altered diabetic patient. You twisted my words around, blatantly so. I know you're better than that.

Fair enough, I read through your statement and realized that I misunderestimated your original post.

However, without getting into an argument on gun laws in America vs Canada, I will simply restate my position that I have never in the past, nor presently feel the need to arm myself, I do however own and use a protective vest.

And not proven to improve survival in MVC ? pfft cough spluter, hack.

Ok lets be realistic ie Canada, since the introduction of Bill 68 there has been more LEO murders, gang violence, 3 shot and killed yesterday in Calgary .. btw vests do help, I have one just for Paramedic meetings alone .... LOL.

But my point is risk assessment in back country, survival, bears and believing a vest will help in that type of situation is just plain stupid, dingos and killer roos are really not a huge threat I would suspect.

cheers

If you for any reason feel as though you need a gun or even a vest on duty you're doing a piss poor job of evaluating scene safety.

Ignorant and naive statement. Very disappointing from you.

good point cb -- if you havent found yourself in a dangerous call that wasnt dispatched as dangerous, then you havent been in EMS long.

Exactly.

Ignorant and naive statement. Very disappointing from you.

Sorry Dust I think you might have missed that I qualified that statement and exempted specialty resources. I don't feel that people trained only as paramedics should ever need to carry. I feel that people who operate in areas where it's prudent to carry should be trained in the pertinent specialty before being allowed to carry. I should have explained my position more clearly.

Tniuqs gave some very good examples of situations in Canada where it would be sensible to be armed. Having worked remote areas in the past I can honestly say there are places I wouldn't go without a rifle.

I'm not going to get into the pro's and con's of carrying a weapon on an ambulance. I'm just going to ask the poll (another one) question.

Yes, in the very early '80's we had a .38 in a small compartment. We did have training with it and was allowed to have it on board by the Sheriff's Dept. Luckily it was never used. We only had it there for about three years. Any time there was a drug bust or a stand-off with police, we were on stand-by. The gun was kept at hand in case someone approached us and tried to car jack the ambulance. We also wore vests during these incidents.

Crothch, do you think you can ask a question without making it a poll?

In a well-concealed holster with a shirt tucked over it...very quickly. Maybe 1 second. I've never really timed how long it would take in full uniform with duty belt. And no, I'm not saying I would shoot an altered diabetic patient. You twisted my words around, blatantly so. I know you're better than that.

Not sure about other states but here in Connecticut as Ive mentioned, concealed means concealed. Even if its in your belt with a shirt tucked over it and you have the legal right to carry it (a permit), if the outline of the weapon is still visible you may be subject to arrest and your permit will be revoked. So you need to have a heavy coat that goes below your waist... or a purse or some really thick pockets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.