1. 1.

• All the time
    • Rarely
    • Never

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hopped up on narcs, from a wisdom teeth extraction today. So excuse my lack of research, does anyone know the supreme court case that states police do not have to protect the public? As in, if I get shot on the street, I can't blame the police for keeping it from happening.

i think that falls under the 'personal responsibility law'. Can you show me the law that says i can blame a doctor if i get sick?

Don't hold me to this, but if I remember correctly, I had read somewhere, under ancient chinese law, if someone under care of a doctor died, the doctor was executed for failure to perform. It might not be worded that way, I admit.

• 2 weeks later...

i think that falls under the 'personal responsibility law'. Can you show me the law that says i can blame a doctor if i get sick?

No, there's case law saying that the police have no affirmative requirement to protect someone. See Warren v District of Columbia for a good case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

• 3 years later...

It's my understanding that police are taught if a threat is within 21 feet, it is safer and faster to draw their tactical knife, than drawing their gun. A person can close the 21 foot distance, before you can actually draw a weapon. How often are you on scene of a medical emergency when you are more than 10-15 feet from your patient? What would the benefit be of carrying a gun if you can't draw the weapon in time? 6-8 feet is the reactionary gap, in other words an assailant can close 6-8 feet on you before you have completely identified there is a threat. This is why I have taken a defensive tactics class and carry a folding knife.

Stay Safe Out There.

Check out this YouTube video about Reactionary Gap and knife attacks!

Edited by newenglandeve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.