Are T-shirts a Professional Uniform

Is a t-shirt a professional EMS uniform ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only during sleep hours

Was first on at an two car MVC last year on my way to school. Only one injured. Was kneeling in front holding C-spine talking to the pt until EMS arrived and took over. Stuck around for the police report (it happened in front of me) and then went back to school. It was about then that I noticed all the tiny little cuts on my knees from tiny glass shards. Nothing the least bit serious, but still an eyeopener. I'd looked before I kneeled and still missed them. That's why I don't think shorts should be worn in EMS.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was first on at an two car MVC last year on my way to school. Only one injured. Was kneeling in front holding C-spine talking to the pt until EMS arrived and took over. Stuck around for the police report (it happened in front of me) and then went back to school. It was about then that I noticed all the tiny little cuts on my knees from tiny glass shards. Nothing the least bit serious, but still an eyeopener. I'd looked before I kneeled and still missed them. That's why I don't think shorts should be worn in EMS.

Hence why I said there were policies in place. Basically, if you get a call, you need to either wear "brush pants" or turnout pants for safety. But, off a call, it's ok.

Good to know, but that wasn't posted and your previous post never said that the policies on shorts didn't allow them on a call. Now my post wasn't directed at you in particular, just the idea of shorts on call in general. Appreciate the clarification all the same.

IMHO, T-shirts should only be worn under ( A T-shirt is really called underwear. Go figure) a uniform shirt whilst on duty. We have some issued to us that have reflective "Paramedic" on the back. Perhaps appropriate for night calls after been awaken by the tones, but never during the day shift. My partner and I always seem to be able to be in full uniform by the time we reach the call regardless of the time of day, but I digress.

The FDNY allows fire fighters to wear department issued shorts, for use under their turnout pants. They don't allow the department's EMS EMTs and Paramedics to do likewise, stating possible BBP contamination, even when the EMS turnout pants are being used.

Fire fighters, as first responders, go to medical calls, too.

Why not shorts, especially during the warmer months, for the FDNY EMS members? I know, wrong forum, should be answered on one that caters to the FDNY, specifically.

Heres an old subject (Shorts and Flip Flops on Scenes) of mine when I first joined the city... simmilar subject matter. Not trying to step on your toes with this crotch.

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...orts+flip+flops

I agree that t-shirts are not proffesional uniforms. If your volly and not on any set duty schedule the shirt is not innapropriate or possibly offensive then thats one thing... but if your on duty, be it paid or volunteer then there should be an attempt to look proffesional.

I recall a night way back when, in a volly service I was once a member of, going to a call with the FD... I made my initial assesment and did what I could to make the patient comfortable untill the ambulance arrived and when they did I recocnized two crew members. With them was another person long hair hanging down and not pulled back, he was wearing jeans and a shirt, both dirty and both with holes in them. He was pleseant and proffesional in his care... but appearance wise looked like he was in the middle of remodeling a house when the call went out. Could he have been? Yea sure, its a volly service. To my surprise when I asked who he was (besides being the new guy) I found out hes a veteran paramedic for our area ALS service. I had never worked with him before but from what I understand hes one of thoes types that you want there for a bad call... the type youd follow into most any situation without question. So if this is so... common sense would dictate to him (in my humble opinion) that he was incredably unproffesionaly dressed.

My main beef with volunteer services is that alot of times people dont think about what they are wearing. I had a junior member show up to a call with a shirt on that said "boobies make me smile." Funny shirt yea, but the fact that no other senior member nor officer for that matter did anything about it? I dont care if you show up to a call in jeans or slacks with a clean shirt on... but if you generally (or the average person in case you would) wouldnt wear what you have on in public, then its not right for a scene. If your volly FD wear your bunkers... if your EMS wear provided gear or get a cheap jump suit, I dont care how hot it is looking unproffesional just knocks us down a rung or two. Frankly with my volunteer service when Im on duty, hanging out during a storm or holiday or at an event stand by Ill always have (if provided) my Class B uniform on. If they dont provide one its EMT pants and a polo and/or job shirt.

In terms of paid services around here... most EMS agencies have polo shirts and EMT pants.

Yes they can look okay--Depends on area, what duties are being performed--The Navy Blue or Black EMT shirts are not bad looking, put agency on there, thsat just adds to it.

DFD here wear there DFD T-shirts all the time, They wear nothing that says there EMT'S

Civil Air Patrol Personnel wear cammies or T-shirt in Field ops-That can say EMT on It and looks okay

Over all- Yes they do look okay

EMS has more things to worry about if it wants the professional recognition it deserves. I have seen many a 350lb provider make the smartest of uniform look like dross, and boy can they make those nylon shirts reek!

I agree 100% but thoes other problems aside, if your patient is cringing at the appearance of your crew before they even get in the house and put their gear down... all that other stuff goes out the window.

Unless you're working a non-traditional EMS job (theme park first aid, event standby, S&R, etc), then I really don't seem a reason to be wearing a t-shirt and/or shorts. Provided it's kept clean, I agree with polo shirts if there is a heat issue. Personally, unless I'm given no other option, you'll never see me in a t-shirt and/or shorts while working a traditional ambulance job.

In certain situations (standby work, rescue operations), t-shirts are acceptable. For normal ground transport personnel, a polo shirt is really the minimum. And for the love of God tuck your shirt in. Nothing raises my BP faster than seeing firefighters or EMS crews wearing untucked polo or uniform shirts. Looks like sh!t.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.