Are T-shirts a Professional Uniform

Is a t-shirt a professional EMS uniform ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only during sleep hours

Wow, Fox I like that uniform shirt you posted the link for, ts a really sharp looking design.

They don't look near that good in person. They were a lot of those in Ontario. Not a fan.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to wear a t-shirt for work make sure you have or do the following

1. Keep it untucked

2. make sure it is at least 1-2 sizes too small

3. make sure that if you do wear a t-shirt that your big fat belly button can be see when you sit down

4. make sure that yesterdays spaghetti and todays taco bell stains are prominently displayed on your shirt

5. make sure that the blood and vomit that was on the shirt didn't get washed off in the washer.

6. if there are no sweat stains on the shirt then go run a couple of blocks and sweat up a brew.

If all else fails, make sure that you at least sleep in the shirt and if you can, drop some hostess cupcake crumbs on the bed before you lay down to sleep.

If you follow all the above rules, you will never cease to look professional.

I thought it was suppose to be a dark black or blue tshirt for CAP. I once was in trouble for wearing an EMT shirt underneath by BDUs. I know I seen quite a few changes to 39-1 between my time in CAP between 1994-2004.

Yes they can look okay--Depends on area, what duties are being performed--The Navy Blue or Black EMT shirts are not bad looking, put agency on there, thsat just adds to it.

DFD here wear there DFD T-shirts all the time, They wear nothing that says there EMT'S

Civil Air Patrol Personnel wear cammies or T-shirt in Field ops-That can say EMT on It and looks okay

Over all- Yes they do look okay

As someone mentioned earlier, if the service dictates T's, then you have little choice. I prefer Polo's because they don't carry all the little brass badges and horsecrap that the dept likes to stick on you. They are comfortable and functional.

The class A shirts are neither comfortable nor functional when you are crawling in a car, climbing a muddy bank, etc.

Yes we need to look neat, but at the same time, be reasonable.

May I ask: How is a polo shirt more functional when climbing a muddy bank or crawling in a car ?

Like I said, picture your neurosurgeon walking into your room in a t-shirt that say "SURGEON" in big block letters on the back (with all the trademarks of a tshirt listed above: too small, stained, wrinkled, sweaty).

T-shirts need to go, if you want to call yourself a professional.

Now Im curious as to what you wear under your class B shirt matters?

When I worked for one company we were to wear white unprinted crew neck shirts. I get the white and unprinted part as we would all look uniform with the same color undershirt and additionally if we ever had to change our over shirt nothing innapropriate or offensive would show. I also get the crew neck as nobody wants Father Time from the 70's to have his hairy bear chest exposed :twisted: But our uniform polocy went on to say that underarmor is not permited. I never wore it because Ive heard mixed opinions to is function of keeping warm/cool so I wasnt going to risk being written up over it. But whats the big deal? Get a white crew neck underarmor shirt and unless you take off your overshirt no one will know? Do thoes things even work?

May I ask: How is a polo shirt more functional when climbing a muddy bank or crawling in a car? ....

Well, having worn t-shirts, polos and Class B's Ill try to tackle this. T-shirts are generally lighter material and from many experiences on and off duty tend to tear easily. Polo shirts, depending on the name brand are thicker and dont tear as easily. They can be breathable or not. Ive also noticed that I stay a bit more dry in a polo... of course at one point they will start sucking up liquids but not as readily as a t-shirt. So if I have to run outside and get a backboard in the pouring rain but left my coat in the rig, upon my return my hideous man boobs shouldnt be exposed :x As far as bloodborne pathogeons I generally wear a light t-shirt or heavy tank top under my polo as an extra barrier untill I can change. Wearing a t-shirt under a t-shirt though? Eh, weird and redundant.

On that muddy bank nothing but turnouts or brush gear will be all the effective anyways. Reason number 1 I always carry an extra uniform in the rig... if my uniform (regardless of type) should be made to appear unproffesional and dirty I can change it. In an MVC, you will never see me wearing anything short sleeve... even in the middle of summer Ill throw a coat on if Im inside.

In terms of staying in place... well Im sure as you know theres alot of phsyical motion in our job so unless you have some sort of reverse suspenders keeping your uniform tucked in theres always a chance itll need adjusting through the day. Thats regardless of what type of shirt you wear. Hmmm reverse suspenders... theres an idea. I suppose you could use thoes sock suspenders, just flip em upside down lol

May I ask: How is a polo shirt more functional when climbing a muddy bank or crawling in a car ?

Because the buttons don't hang up and pop off, and even if the two buttons it has do, you don't have your shirt flopping open, not to mention, you don't wear all the little metallic emblems with the polo which jab and fall off.

Like I said, picture your neurosurgeon walking into your room in a t-shirt that say "SURGEON" in big block letters on the back (with all the trademarks of a tshirt listed above: too small, stained, wrinkled, sweaty).

Agreed, but I don't expect my neurosurgeon to come operate on me in the middle of the night on the side of a road, nor do I expect him to have to lug my ass out of a bedroom in the back of a rat infested house either.

T-shirts need to go, if you want to call yourself a professional.

And finally, this is one thing that really pisses me off, some jackass unilaterally deciding that just because someone doesn't agree with everything they espouse, they are un-professional.

If you are going to wear a t-shirt for work make sure you have or do the following

1. Keep it untucked

2. make sure it is at least 1-2 sizes too small

3. make sure that if you do wear a t-shirt that your big fat belly button can be see when you sit down

4. make sure that yesterdays spaghetti and todays taco bell stains are prominently displayed on your shirt

5. make sure that the blood and vomit that was on the shirt didn't get washed off in the washer.

6. if there are no sweat stains on the shirt then go run a couple of blocks and sweat up a brew.

If all else fails, make sure that you at least sleep in the shirt and if you can, drop some hostess cupcake crumbs on the bed before you lay down to sleep.

If you follow all the above rules, you will never cease to look professional.

I r a profishanal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.