Are T-shirts a Professional Uniform

Is a t-shirt a professional EMS uniform ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only during sleep hours

Fla, as I stated, we cannot wear them as of yet, but with more research we may find that they will not be practical. I would think that they would be nice due to the wicking properties but have not had the opportunity to check with others in the fire side to see how these shirts perform while in a fire situation. Thanks for the input.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spenac, I see where you are coming from, but in my humble opinion, I would not be comfortable in a scrub top. I wore them when interning in the OR, and did not find them all that comfortable. Just a personal preference there, not slamming on ya.

Now, as far as the wife wearing a pair at night, well that is for the personal side.

Spenac, I see where you are coming from, but in my humble opinion, I would not be comfortable in a scrub top. I wore them when interning in the OR, and did not find them all that comfortable. Just a personal preference there, not slamming on ya.

Now, as far as the wife wearing a pair at night, well that is for the personal side.

You are thinking standard scrub. Quality scrubs are cut better.

All of our probies are issued a navy blue t-shirt with screen printing on it with department name on the back and our logo on the front... Allowed to wear on calls. Every member is held to the highest standard when it comes to appearance (hair tied back off the face, shirt tucked in, pants ironed, composite toe black polished boots, black socks, black belt with gold belt buckle). Once they're full members they get a uniform shirt and polo shirt that they can wear. I think t-shirts so long as they're clean and not old and faded are fine for running calls.

Ah, ya got me there on the scrubs Spenac. Can't say as I have seen the ones you are describing. I say if it works for you and it is clean, neat and "presentable" knock yourself out.

The site I am talking about is shown on the design a distinct uniform discussion.

I really think all EMS need to develope a style that is medical but sturdy. That way the public sees us and says hey there are the Pre hospital Medical Professionals. Right now the public is confused, they see us and say hey there are the fire fighters, the ambulance drivers, etc. We need to get where they see us they recognize us and respect us. Uniform is only a start. It will take much more.

for volly EMS yes a company t-shirt is acceptable as a uniform anytime of the day. paid please atleast be presentable even when responding from home your districts expect a higher level of professionalism from you. i was on a ALS intercept with my medic we tossed our gear in the back of the squad's truck and i noticed the "tech" in charge was wearing a miller t-shirt. i think that just makes my point

WRONG!!!

Its thoughts and feelings like this that will continue to degrade the differences between volunteer and paid services. Yes there are differences and sometimes the level of proffesionalism is that difference. As a volunteer its one thing to be out doing your normal thing or at your full time job then respond to a call in the clothes your wearing... but if your at a company that has shifts or you just happen to hang out their 24/7 then look the part! Parades, stand-bys, hanging out at the station because of severe weather... oh well then I guess we can still look like civillians just because we are volunteer!? Ive never seen a volunteer company with a dress code, but just because they are volunteer dosnt mean they should be held to lesser expectations.

This is my personal and proffesional opinion being both volly and working paid services.

And what point do you prove in saying a tech was wearing a miller t-shirt. If hes on a paid service then Im willing to bet hes violating a uniform polocy... which dosnt exactly prove your point. If hes volly, then it dosnt prove anything except that you said its acceptable to wear t-shirts.

Ok, lets be honest, the temperature factor is just an excuse, not a reason to dress unprofessionally. When it is 104 degrees outside, you will sweat in whatever you are wearing. And professionalism is not an attitude, it is an ACTION. When you choose to dress like someone who cuts lawns for a living, you are not acting professional, you have made a conscious decision to dress unprofessionally. Does a uniform by itself make you a professional, NO ! But does a lack of a uniform make you instantly look unprofessional, YES.

And to prove my point: The local TV news channel is coming to your station to do a positive story about a recent rescue. What you gonna wear on camera ?

Actually in hot weather long sleeves and pants are better, but they should be light colored not this dark crap EMS seems to always choose. A study don't have it right now said it helped you cool more by slow evaporation rather than quickly losing all moisture if exposed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.