Are T-shirts a Professional Uniform

Is a t-shirt a professional EMS uniform ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only during sleep hours

But our uniform polocy went on to say that underarmor is not permited. I never wore it because Ive heard mixed opinions to is function of keeping warm/cool so I wasnt going to risk being written up over it. But whats the big deal? Get a white crew neck underarmor shirt and unless you take off your overshirt no one will know? Do thoes things even work?

Very much so. The diffence between Under Armour and a cotton or poly/cotton t-shirt in the 140 degree heat of Iraq was night and day. Unfortunately, they are HIGHLY flammable and a serious hazard in a fire, so we couldn't wear them while flying or on convoy, only around camp. That is the only reason I can think of that your uniform policy would prohibit them. Although, that's probably not it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for volly EMS yes a company t-shirt is acceptable as a uniform anytime of the day. paid please atleast be presentable even when responding from home your districts expect a higher level of professionalism from you. i was on a ALS intercept with my medic we tossed our gear in the back of the squad's truck and i noticed the "tech" in charge was wearing a miller t-shirt. i think that just makes my point

for volly EMS yes a company t-shirt is acceptable as a uniform anytime of the day. paid please atleast be presentable even when responding from home your districts expect a higher level of professionalism from you. i was on a ALS intercept with my medic we tossed our gear in the back of the squad's truck and i noticed the "tech" in charge was wearing a miller t-shirt. i think that just makes my point

Why should there be lower standards for volunteers? They should have the same high standards regarding their appearance and strive to look professional, even if they aren't getting paid. T-shirts aren't acceptable for normal ground operations. For rescues, when you're wearing bunker gear, extended scene operations, etc...they're ok.

They don't look near that good in person. They were a lot of those in Ontario. Not a fan.

*Shrug* They look fine to me, as long as you take the time to iron them and get the wrinkles out. And they're a hell of a lot cooler with an underarmor tee underneath than wearing a traditional unifrom shirt.

Someone mentioned "reverse suspenders"? I think, under a different name, they carry them in the Galls catalog, supposed to keep shirt tails tucked in, and socks pulled up, because those are what these suspenders are connected to.

No, I don't own a set.

Professionalism, professionalism........we are constantly throwing this word around. If you truly want to look professional, put on a dang suit and tie. Didn't the "ambulance drivers" of years gone by start out wearing the all white uniform? Were they anymore professional than what we are today with 8 pocket dark blue pants and a short/long sleeve button up shirt? I doubt they were. Professionalism begins with attitude. You can walk in to a pt's home looking as professional as you want with a nice starched uniform, shiny badge, patches on each pocket and sleeve, and a crisp haircut; but open your mouth and start talking like an idiot and all of that appearance just got blown out the window.

I am all for a good looking, neat and clean uniform. The button up shirt does look "dressier" than a polo, and a t-shirt. However, during the hot and humid months in the midwest, (which isn't as bad as some areas) I prefer a more comfortable uniform for being out on the street. On the fire side, we can wear t's on weekends and holidays, as well as after 1630, otherwise it is the button up shirt or a polo.

Medic side, we are only allowed to wear the button up shirt unless it is after 2100 then we can wear the lightweight warm weather polo shirt. To me this is a little backwards, as we should be wearing the lightweight polo during the HOTTEST part of the day. Anyway, that is the way it is.

How about the scrubs issue. It is my opinion, but I would dare say that most people are accustomed to seeing an ER doc or nurse in scrubs. To John Q. Public, if he sees you in scrubs, he thinks you are a medical professional. So why don't we wear scrubs in the field; wouldn't this make us look more like the "medical professionals" that we cry out to be? The simple answer is that scrubs would not hold up in the field. They are not practical, where would we put all of our patches, and hang all of our cool stuff from?(scrubs do not accomadate belts)

As far as being in a standby status say at a large outdoor concert or parades, or some of the other stuff we do in the summer, the polo would be the ticket, as it is lighter in weight than a t shirt, but still looks somewhat "professional". Employee comfort must be given a consideration at some point, this is probably why we don't wear a suit and tie while working the ambulance.

Christopher, the underarmor brand of clothing is awesome. The warm weather shirts are great for pulling the moisture off of you, and drying out quickly, while the cold weather attire is a true lifesaver in the cold. We are looking at trying to get our new uniform regs on the fire side to allow the use of these under armour shirts to be worn under our station uniform. Now, before Dust hits me with the safety issue, I agree with the problem while in flight status. Unless the flight suit has changed much since I discharged, there is some potential for the shirt to be exposed to the heat of fire. Now in the fire department scenario, we are going to be in turnout gear anyway if we are in a fire, so the real question would be that if your underarmour t shirt burned you because it was exposed to fire, don't you think you have a bigger problem than the undershirt? Just my opinion in that matter.

Back to my original point. Professionalism is attitude. Appearance is just that, you can appear to look like a practioner in the medical profession, but you can't fake your competence or knowledge(isn't this what makes you more of a professional than the style of your clothing?) Now don't get me wrong, I do disagree with wearing a hooters t shirt or similar or beer slogan shirt while on a run, but fail to see how wearing a button up shirt vs a polo, or even a tshirt at times makes a person more "professional" than others. Just my thoughts

How about the scrubs issue. It is my opinion, but I would dare say that most people are accustomed to seeing an ER doc or nurse in scrubs. To John Q. Public, if he sees you in scrubs, he thinks you are a medical professional. So why don't we wear scrubs in the field; wouldn't this make us look more like the "medical professionals" that we cry out to be? The simple answer is that scrubs would not hold up in the field. They are not practical, where would we put all of our patches, and hang all of our cool stuff from?(scrubs do not accomadate belts)

Actually I proposed that we wear EMS type pants with a high quality scrub top in the design a professional distinct uniform discussion. Someone had placed a link with a very nice scrub top in that discussion. Thus we combine durability for the field which honestly the pants are what takes most abuse and shirt should be covered if extricating. So this allows the public to see us as medical because as you say people see scrubs and think medical. I do not like class A B C etc as they look like cop uniforms. We are not cops. We do not need all those badges, patches, etc.

I had your back until this one. Underarmor and nylon both do not require direct flame contact to melt and cling to the skin, making your bad day that much worse.

I was working out in an underarmor shirt one day when we had a structure fire. I was cool as I could be, but thankfully, there was no rapid fire growth to make that shirt my second skin.

Christopher, the underarmor brand of clothing is awesome. The warm weather shirts are great for pulling the moisture off of you, and drying out quickly, while the cold weather attire is a true lifesaver in the cold. We are looking at trying to get our new uniform regs on the fire side to allow the use of these under armour shirts to be worn under our station uniform. Now, before Dust hits me with the safety issue, I agree with the problem while in flight status. Unless the flight suit has changed much since I discharged, there is some potential for the shirt to be exposed to the heat of fire. Now in the fire department scenario, we are going to be in turnout gear anyway if we are in a fire, so the real question would be that if your underarmour t shirt burned you because it was exposed to fire, don't you think you have a bigger problem than the undershirt? Just my opinion in that matter.

I've never seen any medical service in Australia use a Tshirt as a uniform. Some services have polo shits for off duty use/civilian wear. I've never seen any nurse here wear scrubs apart from surgical staff.

My nursing uniform entails:

Navy blue pants.

Black polished shoes.

Light Blue button up shirt with the hospital name and logo.

Black belt.

Navy Blue Polar Fleece sleeveless vest

Hospital Lanyard with your clinical level printed under your photo.

My Volunteer EMS uniform entails:

Normal Standbys:

White button up shirt.

Black pants with black belt.

Black polished boots.

Black polar fleece jacket.

We have to wear a fluorescent green/yellow reflective vest at all times.

We also have ties, battle dress jacket and acobra hats for ceremonial/official use.

Standbys like Motocross/Speedway/Rodeo ect:

Green overalls covered in reflective tape.

Fluorescent green/yellow reflective vest

Black Boots

Your rank is displayed on your eppalettes and your clinical level is displayed on a Velcro attachment that clips onto the front and back of the vest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.