Be Honest: Are You a Jerk?

JaxSage

People on the job think you're a jerk most likely because...  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• I didn't know people thought that of me! I have no idea why!!
    • I speak my mind whether or not people like it.
    • I always argue and never seem to agree with anybody.
    • My years of experience tend to make me a know-it-all sometimes (okay, most of the time).
    • I tend to be nasty to the patients when I'm in a bad mood -- which is all the time.
    • I make my partners feel inferior and useless.
    • I'm just not really a nice person, I suppose.
    • I'm really reserved and don't say much...and I guess people mistake that for being a jerk.
    • I get into physical fights with my partners.

Are you the partner that people love to work with...or are you the one that people dread? One of the major drawbacks in the field, in my opinion, is having a bad partner. And when I say bad, I mean a partner who is, well, a jerk. For me, in this field we are family and stick with each other. Not everybody has that mentality. I've been told some horror stories of partners who would make their partners feel just awful. And I had my share of that experience as well. And although we could go on and on about how awful that is and those people should be fired...we have to also look at ourselves and see if we're not doing the same thing to our partners. We may think there is nothing wrong with us...until someone (perhaps a patient) points it out to you.

So, if people think you were a bad partner, what do you think would be their main reason for thinking that?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if people think you were a bad partner, what do you think would be their main reason for thinking that?

Because I insist that they do the job completely and professionally, without shortcuts or omissions. A lot of people don't like that. They got into this job because they thought it was all glory without any hard work -- mentally or physically -- required. Anyone who expects them to actually do their job is a "jerk". Things that piss them off include:

• * Actually washing the truck, and not just wetting it down.

* Actually cleaning the interior, and not just sweeping it out and emptying the trash.

* Actually checking the condition of the truck, tires, fluids, lights, etc... and not just initialling the form.

* Actually inventorying the equipment fully, and not just initialling the form.

* Actually performing a thorough diagnostic examination of the patient, and not just tossing them on a cot and transporting.

* Actually performing medically indicated medical care and not just leaving it for the ER to do.

* Actually documenting patient contacts thoroughly, professionally, and immediately and not just leaving it for later so you can get back to your recliner, and then just scribbling some BS from memory at the end of the shift.

• If expecting my partner to do his job makes me a jerk, I'm okay with that.

I have to agree with Dust.

I have never had a complaint about how I do patient care or personality, I have had some winners for partners.

I also have no problem stating how I feel about someone or something..

I have to agree with Dust as well. Those forms for inventory and vehicle condition are there for a reason!

As far as waiting to do the PCR back at 'the house', well, in MI, we have to leave a copy with the recieving facility. If it's not done, then patient care has not been fully transferred. If you leave, promising to 'bring it back later', you're now guilty of abandonment, and you can kiss your license goodbye!

What Dust said, that's what I'm hoping for from my preceptor. Somebody who sets the bar right where it should be. No picking up bad habits before I even start working. I don't consider that being a jerk. Now if cleaning the entire truck was just my job as the student, and I was given only a toothbrush, and the crew threw things at me while I did it... that would make them jerks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.