Private EMS service adds FLIR

Arctickat

I came across this story on another website that shall remain un-named. :D I thought it was kinda neat that an EMS service would add this to their fleet. Especially a private one.

[web:eed3b5b07b]http://paramedic-network-news.com/index.php?s=kelvington[/web:eed3b5b07b]

An EMS service in Kelvington, Saskatchewan is using thermal imaging units to enhance driver safety. That is the word from a note put out by the organization (October 22) which said that the units from mobilesafety.net are being put onboard ambulances to assist in spotting wildlife and avoiding collisions during adverse conditions. Allowing drivers to see some 2,000 feet away, the The PathfindIR ™ forward looking infrared (FLIR) video system can offer drivers as much as 20 seconds to react in poor visibility conditions including fog, snow, rain, smoke, and nightime. In addition to aiding drivers in transit, the units also help at the scene. In one instance already encountered by the service, an ejected MVA patient was located in tall grass via the PathfindIR.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want that! With the number of deer and antelope here, and bad winter conditions.... I would love that on my unit..

Only once have we hit a deer with a patient in the back.... and once was enough... (and I am glad I was not driving!)

I was under the impression FLIR units were exclusively used in both LEO and military helicopters in Search and Rescue ops, or as hand held/helmet mounted devices by firefighters to locate fire in the walls, or locating potential victims in smoke filled rooms.

Great idea... would love to hear some more results and opinions down the road.

Seeing as Ford is slowly leaving the ambulance market theres something Chevy and GM may be able to contribute to safety as well. Various Pontiacts are being built with heads up displays now, simillar to what you would see in a fighter plane. Your speed, direction... pretty much everything displayed on the instrament pannel is displayed (by a projector) on the glass/windshield. Not so much that it obstructs your view... but just enough that you can check your speed and other information without looking down or away from the road. Its an interesting feature, I played with it alot when I worked at a GM dealership.

I was under the impression FLIR units were exclusively used in both LEO and military helicopters in Search and Rescue ops, or as hand held/helmet mounted devices by firefighters to locate fire in the walls, or locating potential victims in smoke filled rooms.

Nope, the trucking industry has been using these for years. BMW and Land Rover offer them as factory options.

So you feel that added safety is a waste of money? Perhaps you'd be more impressed if the money was spent to give you a bigger Christmas bonus. The owner should have just pocketed the money rather than invest in the safety of those he employs I suppose. Wasn't there a recent LODD involving a medic who was ejected from the ambulance after her partner swerved to avoid a deer and ripped the side of the mod when it hit a tree? In Kentucky I believe.

Maybe you just live in a city where this would be useless, but out in the open countyside with transport times of 2 or more hours and open road, 130kph makes those headlights pretty useless. The added warning this provides is invaluable, not to mention the search and rescue capabilities.

You goota be kidding me...They need some more gadgets on the dash panel...Obviously too much money laying.

Must be a Canadian thing..we wouldn't understand..EH?

LMAO!!

Wow.... that was offensive..... "must be a Canadian thing" "eh".... careful - your maturity is showing....

I know the area that these ambulances work in, and this is definitely something that is going to improve safety when they are travelling.... your post only confirms that not only do you not understand the need for this in that area, but that you do not understand how offensive your comments about Canadians are. You may want to add the book "The Ugly American" to your holiday reading...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.