FL teen commits suicide on webcam...

akflightmedic

Hurray for him. he actually went through with it instead of calling 911 crying about how he wants to but truly doesnt have enough balls to like most of our patients. Its just ashame that he felt that he needed an audience. Considering he did it for everyone to see, sounds like he just wanted his 15 minutes of fame. Maybe all the other suiciders can learn something from him. :D

Maybe doing it online was his cry for help. Maybe he thought that if people were watching, someone would call 911 to get him help. To me it sounds like the typical case of the teenager who takes the pills 20 minutes before mom and dad get home. They do it to let people know that they are in need of help, but don't actually want to hurt themselves. I hope you never have to deal with something like this in your personal life because you have clearly shown that you lack the compassion and maturity to deal with it appropriately.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe if we ignore him he will go away. With comments like his I don't want to know him. His credibility is gone with me but then again, he's only posted 4 times so what credibility does he really have.

Sadly this is the person that partners with one of our regulars that just made paramedic and works in Arizona. Hopefully this attitude doesn't rub off.

You know its post like this that reminds me how infantile those in EMS are. Instead of attempting to understand the psyche of the person as a mentally ill patient, we of course go back to junior high humor and attributes. Even seen this in station houses.

The same old B.S. line of telling them on how to do it correctly. We as health care professionals ? should recognize the seriousness of mental illness and the side effects such as those with bi-polar, clinical depression, and suicidal ideologies is a serious matter.

R/r 911

Thank you for your statements, I agree totally. Aren't we here to help people?

Sadly this is the person that partners with one of our regulars that just made paramedic and works in Arizona. Hopefully this attitude doesn't rub off.

Nah I dont think it will rubb off on her she is too smart for that. But on a personal note I wish that someone had taken my dad seriously when the told his drinking buddies that he was going to do it. He might be alive today. But I also agree with CMK here too we have had numberous ones come into the chatroom here saying they are gonna do it well some we know are the drama queen/king type but still we take the time to give them the number to 911 and the sucuide hotline link or number who knows maybe their need for attention drives them to do this with mental illness they arent rational thinking people. So maybe the old saying holds true a little compassion goes along way.

You know its post like this that reminds me how infantile those in EMS are. Instead of attempting to understand the psyche of the person as a mentally ill patient, we of course go back to junior high humor and attributes. Even seen this in station houses.

The same old B.S. line of telling them on how to do it correctly. We as health care professionals ? should recognize the seriousness of mental illness and the side effects such as those with bi-polar, clinical depression, and suicidal ideologies is a serious matter.

R/r 911

Well said Rid....

Regardless of what the person's intentions were, whether to truly commit suicide, or a call for help, we have to also remember that there are others involved. The family of this person is devastated by the actions of this person, and will always question what happened.

It is always amazing to me the number of people in EMS who have the "well at least they did it right" attitude, rather than showing empathy and compassion. This callous attitude does nothing to support EMS as a profession. Perhaps this poster would benefit from a little more education in psychology, and a little more effort in caring.

Sorry, touched a raw nerve for several reasons. I alike many rookies and non-intelligent medics at one time; laughed when a ER physician told a patient not to return to the ED after attempting suicide. They only took a few Somas; he said "next time go home and do it right". They did. Forty five minutes later, I responded to the patient that took a revolver & placed it in their mouth. Yep, as I told the Doc . "well, they followed the Doctor's orders"... huh? Definitely changed my and the Doc's life forever.

I also had to assist to intubate a former partner of mine not long ago. After decades of marriage, successful career, every thing went South. Job, home, family. Just alike many other in their days, they too did not understand the causes and complexity of depression. They do now.

On my Paramedic clinicals decades ago, a Psychiatrist described there are three types of suicidal patients. Those that do it, those that accidentally do it, and those that are crying for help. None the less, take all serious.

I agree, this person in the original post was probably seeking help. Unfortunately, many have became so calloused and apparently miserable in their own lives; that they actually encouraged someone to end their life! How sad of statement about our society. Especially to those that have mental illness.

Is there an easy fix? No. Apparently we have lost our common sense and compassion. That itself is depressing.

R/r 911

Reguardless of wether they are joking or not, all threats like this should be taken seriously. I know that we have attention seekers that come in to the chat all time. But I also have to ask this question. Are they really saying that they are going to commit suicide as a cry for help? Or is it because they want attention?

How are we to tell seeing as its online? Especially if they dont have a webcame?

I had a very good friend commit suicide, he gave off all the classic warning signs none of his close friends, myself included, noticed them until after, then of course they were as clear as day. We tend to get so caught up in our own problems that we never pay attention until its too late.

As for the ones egging this kid on, they most likely saw it as a grab for attention.

Unfortunate

I have lost at least 4 people from "the job", at least one of them following retirement, and a few more from off the job.

I have argued with some saying they were going to commit suicide in our own chat room, but, as pointed out, were seeking attention, and subsequently banned.

If they read this, I may not know your new name here in the city, but if you really feel that you want to take your own life, I lack the training to help you, but there are folks specially trained at the suicide prevention telephone lines quite willing to talk to you about whatever the hell is bugging you. Use them. That is why they are there.

The great thing about the internet is that anyone can express their ideas and experiences on an open forum. Sometimes this is also the problem.

The fact that people watching didn't care or thought it was a joke is not surprising. For an EMS provider to do so is different.

It really is a shame for the family to have this as their loved one's legacy.