Cadaver, Anatomy, Procedure Lab for EMS Dec 3 and 4

Doczilla

Cleared hot by EMT City Admin to post.

I wanted to give a heads up to the board here about a training op in Dayton OH at Wright State University. It is our 3rd annual Cadaver, Anatomy, and Procedure Lab for EMS (CAP Lab). It is an all-day (one day) seminar on cadavers, live tissue, and simulators covering a variety of topics, held on Dec 3 and 4. We are offering it for $20 to EMS providers of all levels, and it's good for 6.5 Cat 1 CEUs.

The Lab starts with a 45 minute lecture and anatomical review. The students (usually about 100 per day) are divided into groups of 10 to rotate through several stations, which are all taught by residents and faculty from the Dept. of EM as well as PAs from the EM PA Fellowship at WPAFB. Students get to practice procedures as well as get hands-on with the cadavers for close instruction. Stations include:

Surgical airways

Rescue airways

Field amputation

Tactical/battlefield medicine

Neuro, with cadaver brains

Cardiac, with cadaver hearts and EKG review

Cadaver airway, chest decompression

Vascular access

Chest and abdomen anatomy

Musculoskeletal anatomy

When you register, put EMTCity and your username in the "comments" area.

Attendees must register to receive directions and important info, including disclaimer forms. Email address is on the website if you have any questions. Slots are open until they are filled. No, you can't stay at my house.

'zilla

Well, that settles my vacation plans! :D

What's the weather going to be like?

Also, which day are you going to be there? And can I do both days?

The weather will probably be around the mid 30s to low 40s. +/- some snow (most of ours comes after New Year's, but the last 2 Labs we had around this time had some flurries). The beer will be cold. The Arroz con Pollo at El Meson will be steaming.

You absolutely can do both days but you'll need to register for both to guarantee your slot. I'll be there both days, giving the lecture portion and then teaching an as yet undetermined station.

'zilla

Done deal. I'll be there both days.

If there's a chance of snow, I expect I'll fly instead of drive. I'm good in sandstorms, but not so much in snow.

Thanks for sharing this awesome opportunity with us, Doc! :thumbright:

Well heck, I'm considering going just to meet Dust and the doc! It would be a crossing of the border and a 4.5hr drive but so worth it for both the meeting and the learning.

Darn even the Canadians can get there quicker than me. Wish I could go. Any rich doctors want to pay my way? :D

Darn even the Canadians can get there quicker than me. Wish I could go. Any rich doctors want to pay my way? :D

If you can get to Dallas, we can carpool it together and split a hotel room.

If you can get to Dallas, we can carpool it together and split a hotel room.

Wish I could. Finally released back to work and can't afford to take any time off. Sadly even my clinicals which are all I need to finish my Paramedic are on hold.

From a previous discussion, if this Florida Paramedic had waited, perhaps she'd be taking this class, instead of opening up herself and employer to lawsuits for taking a traumatically amputated limb without permission to train a cadaver search dog!

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...6&view=next