Cadaver, Anatomy, Procedure Lab for EMS Dec 3 and 4

Doczilla

If hot med students went out with you guys and you and Dust didn't call me to come back I may need to kill you.

Dude, if that had happened, I'd still be there!

Seriously folks, the place was positively crawling with smokin' hott chicks. I personally fell in lust with a second year med student, an Air Force PA, and two EM residents. And I'm sure the feeling was mutual. :D

• 2 weeks later...

There were many attendees . . . .

16lzsk2.jpg

But they all sat in the back . . .

w18k9j.jpg

Our first station is IO's, which we practice with real bone on real cadavers.

Then, we practice get to needle decompress an induced pnuemothorax.

BEandP and AnthonyM83 put their first intubations under their belts under the guidance of DustDevil, Akroeze, and the medical students. No pictures were allowed in these rooms for the privacy of the cadaver donors.

Next is an airway station, which included various equipment, included two "video scopes" that made intubating a cinch. One dummy was even computer controlled, that allowed proctor to create edema and other difficulties intubating through his computer screen, realtime.

Next was some practicing with surgical airways.

We practiced on pig trachs to allow for multiple attempts, using different equipment.

Here Dust performs his first incision into the cricothyroid membrane.

in8z61.jpg

Here Akroeze ponders what other impromptu surgeries he might get away with...

10mio8k.jpg

Now, it's Brendan's turn. He jumps right into it.

flfxoh.jpg

Things start heating up as AnthonyM83 heckles from the sidelines (Canadians were the prime joke targets for the weekend).

2nm2h6f.jpg

Anthony takes a picture of the group (from Day 2...Sorry Jake and Chris)

16hkyfc.jpg

After spending almost five minutes showing a fellow EMT girl how to use his camera phone, Anthony is finally able to get in on one of the pictures.

Yup, I'm as intense as always.

2z66kuu.jpg

Then, it's time for lunch. The group somehow ends up separated with ALS sitting on upper rows and BLS sitting on lower rows . . . hmmm.

Anyway, then we back for a scenario where Brendan and Anthony save a life...with a little help from some local EMTs who do EMS for their university and another medic. The patient dummy was one of those state of the art ones that speaks, has a pulse, allows for taking actual accurate BP's,...and umm fully anatomically correct. The more experienced Dust, Akroeze, and others act as judges.

Next station is Tac Med. Doczilla shows us his combat pack and various TQ's and hemostatic agents, as well as reviews the modified ABC's for combat trauma.

10py42d.jpg

Here Doczilla demonstrates an Israeli dressing (reminds me of a "BloodStopper" roll) on Alex.

As much as I tried to convince him to do a real demonstration by amputating Alex's arm, he wouldn't allow it. Too much mess he said.

I do have to say Doczilla turned out to be exactly how I thought he'd be. Great guy, great speaker, knows his stuff, and I recognized him immediately!

2mesc1z.jpg

Next we did the brain and heart stations, with anatomy lessons holding the real organs in our hands and explanations on what happens during CVA's and MI's, with review of 12-leads. Then, we went to the long-anticipated amputation station, which we ended up having to rush, through...but we all got a chance to cut some bone with different tools. No one got sick unlike the first day, apparently!

Last station was a general cadaver anatomy station where I got to ask a bunch of questions relating patient conditions to actual anatomy...got to run the bowel (ref: House MD) and got great explanations on how different abdominal pains present (much better than any of the explanations I ever got in EMT school). The resident at that station was great. (and hawt)

Lastly, Dust and I went out for some food and drinks with 'Zilla.

Unfortunately, he couldn't quite hold his liquor and this is how we had after only 3/4 of a drink. I had to cut myself off too to make him feel better.

Doczilla after one drink (with a meal):

2iassvc.jpg

• Like 1

After spending almost five minutes showing a fellow EMT girl how to use his camera phone, Anthony is finally able to get in on one of the pictures.

It should be noted that Anthony sabotaged his phone where it wouldn't work for her, so he could get up close and personal with the hott blonde that was trying to take our picture! :D

Just a thought here but I think ZILLA needs a hair cut :twisted: :twisted: The rest of you guys are looking good maybe next year more of the FEMALE emtcity population can come. But can we bring our own donors? :wink: :wink:

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...