Cadaver, Anatomy, Procedure Lab for EMS Dec 3 and 4

Doczilla

No. ATLS teaches a regimented approach to patients of a certain type. ATLS also is regimented, as dictated by the ACS, whereas our instructors can "freelance" and discuss topics they have a particular experience or knowledge in. The CAP Lab is teaching more general principles applicable to patients of any type, and it is entirely hands on. The principles of anatomy are taught as they relate to common diseases and complaints in the prehospital setting. It is not by any means "comprehensive", and will not take the place of A&P, but rather illustrates concepts that the provider may have heard about but not seen in detail.

In the cardiac station, each student has a cadaver heart along with a selection of EKGs. The instructor takes the students through the heart, illustrating the various coronary arteries and showing what lesions in these arteries look like on EKG while reinforcing principles of cardiac care. In the neuro station, the students will handle several brains, spinal cords, head hemisections while the instructor takes them through various injuries and disorders of the neuro system that can present. This year we've added a comprehensive simulator scenario as well. I won't give it away here, but it will challenge both BLS and ALS providers.

Students will also have the opportunity to practice procedures that they rarely have the opportunity to practice in real life. For example:

We will take a cadaver and induce a tension pneumothorax. The student will be able to appreciate the subcutaneous emphysema, tracheal shift, and JVD (no kidding, it happens on cadavers) that accompanies it, and will be able to decompress the chest with an angiocath and intubate the cadaver. In the airway stations, students get to try out the various rescue airway methods (King, LMA, Cobra, Bougie, AirTraq, Glidescope) on airway simulators, then perform surgical cricothyroidotomies on pig tracheas using open surgical method, Pertrach, Quicktrach, Nutrake, and Melker kits. For tactical and remote medicine, various hemostatic agents are illustrated along with battlefield tourniquets. The students will then participate in field amputations on cadaver limbs.

The instructors are some 30 odd emergency physicians and PAs from the Dayton area, all of whom have volunteered their time to teach the course.

And we're serving a hot lunch.

'zilla

If it wasn't right smack in the middle of "let's hit everyone with quizzes so they'll be shot the week before finals" week I'd drive out there with the boy and we'd both do it. :D Plus he can't get time off either.

What a great opportunity, though, Doc! :) Thanks for putting it up here for us.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'll offer my hotel room up for a2nd person if that will prompt someone with fundage problems to go.

I am goin on the 4th so maybe we all can get together on the night of the 3rd.

Dust you will be there both days? I'll see you there then.

I am goin on the 4th so maybe we all can get together on the night of the 3rd.
I'll be arriving on the 2nd at night. Driving up from NC. Going to the class on the 3rd and will be leaving on the 4th. I look forward to meeting up! 8)

Would it be taking a spot that could be better used by an ALS provider/student for me to register? None of the skills mentioned are within my scope and I'd hate to take the opportunity from someone who could make immediate use of the practice. Otherwise I'm looking at taking a day or two off to drive down.

- Matt

Wow, I wish I could go. But thats wayyy out of the question this year. They do this every year though?

I had thought about donating my body to medical science, untill I read "Stiff" by Mary Roach. If I have controll over what my entire body is used to research then maybe I still will. But I dont want some freaking cosmotology student screwing with me. I honestly dont care about plastic surgery unless it bennefits the persons health or safety... therfore, I dont want some dumb Hollywood surgeon practicing on me for bimbos like Pam Anderson or Michael (aka Latoya) Jackson.