A puking kid

ERDoc

You are called to the residence of a 3y/o female. The mother tells you that she began vomiting about 30 minutes ago. She seemed fine when she picked her up from the babysitter a few hours ago. Mom figured it was just a GI bug and didn't think much of it until she noted some bloody streaks. What do you want to know?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the child acting?

How many times has she vomited since she picked her up?

Any liquids (outside of puke) on the childs cloths?

Babysitter report anything strange?

How is the child acting?

How many times has she vomited since she picked her up?

Any liquids (outside of puke) on the childs cloths?

Babysitter report anything strange?

The child is quiet but does not seem to be in any distress. She has vomited 4 or 5 times. No liquids noted on the clothes. Mom will try to contact the babysitter while you load the pt. As you get her in the ambulance she vomits a fair amount of blood and becomes lethargic.

HMM 3 y/o pretty active age.

Generic Hx/ Meds/ Allergies.

Was there any time where the 3 y/o was unattended?

Access into areas under the sink or playing with any of the older childrens toys at the babysitter?

Legos seem to make their way into some interesting places.

Definately load and go. I never did mess around with kids, they can go down hill very quick.

Poison ingestion vs Foreign body (toy)

The blood streaks kinda keyed me up to this DD.

Generic Hx/ Meds/ Allergies.

No PMH, PSH, meds or allergies. Mom is trying to contact the baby sitter but is distracted from the phone by her sick looking daughter.

Aspirin comes to mind

Vomiting

Hemataemesis

lethargy

Seizures

Coma

Not good!

What's the kid's temperature? Blood pressure? Is this bloody vomit red streaky, or black icky? Agreed with asking about anything else in the vomit. Screw having mom call the babysitter, give me that telephone... Any respiratory distress? Head to toe exam reveals?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I agree with Windy here... the girls(both) got into a caustic liquid and drank it... talking to the babysitter is important have to find out what they drank... after obtaining V/S and talking with babysitter call poison control and inform them of S/S, V/S and suspitions... possible NG/OG tube( pump the stomach?)... activated charcoal or other neutralizer (per poison control)... grow wings on the side of the rig transport to the nearest childern's hospital (or have bird in the air to transport to nearest childern's hospital) consider sending additional unit to babysitters house for her child (after talking to her of course)