A puking kid

ERDoc

I agree with Windy here... the girls(both) got into a caustic liquid and drank it... talking to the babysitter is important have to find out what they drank... after obtaining V/S and talking with babysitter call poison control and inform them of S/S, V/S and suspitions... possible NG/OG tube( pump the stomach?)... activated charcoal

Hold off on the AC if you think it is a caustic substance injestion. AC will cause vomiting and further burn the esophagus and oropharnx

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the key questions that needs to be answered here is what does the vomit smell like. Does it smell like drain cleaner, bleach, wintergreen???

are there pill fragments in the vomit

Do we have any evidence of pill bottles that were opened or previously filled and now empty?

Hold off on the AC if you think it is a caustic substance ingestion. AC will cause vomiting and further burn the esophagus and oropharynx

Sorry about that I meant to take the word caustic out... but the point remains the same... poison control gods decide and I do.... as for the two pts

No PMH, PSH, meds or allergies. Mom is trying to contact the baby sitter but is distracted from the phone by her sick looking daughter.

I miss read that I thought he was saying the babysitter was distracted by her sick looking child; upon a second read I see my mistake. Again I apologize.

You contact the babysitter as the pt has a large bloody BM. She is lethargic now. The babysitter says that she found the pt with a bottle of vitamins. She doesn't know how many she took or if she took any at all. She wasn't too concerned because they are only vitamins. Otherwise it was a pretty uneventful day.

Bingo. This kiddo is displaying symptoms of iron overdose... along with whatever else she might have gotten in that multivitamin. Pediatric Iron Overdose Overview

This kid needs a doctor, fast. Liver problems, GI scarring, kidney problems... baby has a long road ahead.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Bingo. This kiddo is displaying symptoms of iron overdose... along with whatever else she might have gotten in that multivitamin. Pediatric Iron Overdose Overview

This kid needs a doctor, fast. Liver problems, GI scarring, kidney problems... baby has a long road ahead.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Dammit... I should have just said it, instead of asking to be told!

Run the fluids to maintain BP. Contact recieving hospital,

Call poison control? hmmm not to sure on that one, don't really see a need.

We have a winner. This is an iron poisoning. It can cause serious GI bleeding, electrolyte abnormalities, lethargy, coma and other not so pleasant things. Obviously in this case you are going to want a line or two. Be prepared for massive fluid resuscitation. There is not much else you can do in the field other than rapid transport and avoid metal detectors.

ok, now as a parent, I'm gonna go kill the babysitter because first off she didn't tell me that my daughter got into the pills and second, she didn't seem concerned.

After I kill her (which is only figuratively) I'm going to go the DA and ask to file neglect charges against her and then I'm gonna sue her sorry little butt.

As a parent, this is something that is very very scary to me. We have two babysitters who we trust implicitly but the first time that we had one of them over was a scary time for us. Putting our child in the hands of another was very scary and we worried the first time but when we got home and our son said "I had a great time" was all we needed.

The babysitter in question needs to be set straight.