ff1,or2

wildfire66

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone for being good ambassadors for EMT City and welcoming the new person into this site. All the offending posts have been removed.

I have moved this post to the non-ems area so it can be discussed. Please, if you have an issue with a post, HIT THE REPORT button. Myself and AK are here to do the moderating.

Meh, I didn't think that my post was that over the top, but I'll try a different approach. What exactly is the difference between a FF1 and a FF2 anyways?

Lesser education required.

For example, in Florida for one to volunteer at a FD, the minimum they need to ride on an engine is FF1. I do not know the exact hours for this particular qualification. If you want to be paid, you have to have FFII. In order for me to be FFII, I attended a college program and completed 450 clock hours so the state would recognize my level.

I believe it comes down to NFPA requirements as well for regulating the different level. I am in an airport right now so I do not have my resources near by, but that is the difference in Florida and if I am not mistaken, everywhere...can anyone correct me on that?

IFSTA has the cirriculum for the FF I and FFII. I honestly thought the FFII test was easier than the FFI test. Not sure if it was the years of experience between the tests or what. Hope (but seriously) doubt I can say that about my medic test vs my EMT test pretty soon.

FFI is basically the entry level to firefighting. Teaches the basics. FFII goes in to a little more depth in regards to fire alarm systems, fire extinguishers (for some strange reason) and has more hazmat questions. Many times you will need to have FFII prior to taking other certification programs, such as instructor, apparatus operator, fire officer and such.

The dept. I was on you had to be FF II. And to advance in rank you had to go higher. I had the entire FF III class, but wasn't able to take the test. The night of the test I wound up in a hospital for about ten days.

Depends if you want to become and officer with better pay and respect or stay a FF I for the rest of your life. For vollies at least you get more respect from other members and the public. Your decision.

• 5 weeks later...

Not ment to be offensive, but it's kind of a dumb question. The difference between them is a FF1 is only able to do exterior fire attacks. FF2 is able to do searches/rescues and interior attacks. FF1 is fairly useless by itself in my oppinion.

Not ment to be offensive, but it's kind of a dumb question. The difference between them is a FF1 is only able to do exterior fire attacks. FF2 is able to do searches/rescues and interior attacks. FF1 is fairly useless by itself in my oppinion.

I could do interior attacks with FF1!

As AK explained. in FL you must have minimum of FF1 to volley. To work for a paid service you must have FF2.

FF1 is mostly your full physical part of FF. FF2 gets more in depth in the book knowledge and as you stated, the search and rescue side.

False... you find and quote me any exact words that say FF-1 is exterior only. Ive been FF-1 for volly and paid/volly departments and doing interrior work for almost 4 years.

FF-I is more about the work itself... FF-II is more in depth on the theory, I believe it is the same text book as well (if your using Essentials at least). I believe if anything FF-II is required if your doing inspection work, but dont hold me to that because thats what I did at my last job in a corporate building and Im only FF-I.

I didn't know there were only FF I classes? I have never seen a class offered that wasn't FF I/II.

Just go the whole way, in the scheme of life it doesn't take much longer, and you will have more knowlege, and another line to your resume.