ff1,or2

wildfire66

Not ment to be offensive, but it's kind of a dumb question. The difference between them is a FF1 is only able to do exterior fire attacks. FF2 is able to do searches/rescues and interior attacks. FF1 is fairly useless by itself in my oppinion.

That is not true at all. Fire 1 is pretty much ALL interior. There is one class you can take before that to do exterior. Fire 1 used to be called interior firefighter here. Without FF1, you can't pack up. Here is how Pennsylvania differentiates the 2 certifications:

FireFighter 1

PURPOSE

The purpose of this program is to identify emergency service personnel who demonstrate competency in the performance requirements necessary to perform the duties of a firefighter. The NFPA 1001 Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications identifies the minimum requirements for a person at the first level of progression. A person certified at the Fire Fighter I level will have demonstrated competency in the necessary knowledge and skills, while working under direct supervision, to function safely and effectively as a member of a firefighting team

COMPETENCY AREAS TESTED

Fire Department Organization, Safety, Fire Alarm and Communication, Fire Behavior, Portable Extinguishers, Personal Protective Equipment, Forcible Entry, Ventilation, Ropes, Ladders, Fire Hose/Appliances/Streams, Foam Fire Streams, Fire Control, Salvage, Overhaul, Emergency Medical Care, Rescue, Water Supplies, Sprinklers, Response to Hazardous Materials Incidents, and Fire Prevention/Public Fire Education/Fire Cause Determination.

PREREQUISITES

Emergency Medical Care - as a minimum Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (one & two rescuer), and First Aid or any higher level of emergency medical certification approved by the Fire Service Certification Advisory Committee.

Hazardous Materials - Awareness level training or certification within the last year from the date of application.

Firefighter II Certification

PURPOSE

The purpose of this program is to identify emergency service personnel who demonstrate competency in the performance requirements necessary to perform the duties of a firefighter beyond the Fire Fighter I level. The NFPA 1001 Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications, identifies the minimum requirements for a person at the second level of progression. A person certified at the Fire Fighter II level will have demonstrated greater competency in the necessary knowledge and skills to function safely and effectively as a member of a firefighting team under general supervision.

COMPETENCY AREAS TESTED

Fire Department Organization, Safety, Fire Alarm and Communication, Fire Behavior, Ventilation, Ropes, Ladders, FireHose/ Appliances/ Streams, Foam Fire Streams, Fire Control, Overhaul, Rescue, Water Supplies, Sprinklers, Response to Hazardous Materials Incidents, Fire Prevention/ Public Fire Education/ Fire Cause Determination, and Building Construction.

PREREQUISITES

Rescue - Certificate from on of the following courses; Dept. of Health Vehicle Rescue, or State Fire Academy Basic Vehicle Rescue, or State Fire Academy Advanced Vehicle Rescue.

Hazardous Materials - Operations level training or certification within the last year from the date of application.

(From the Office of the Pennsylvania State Fire Commissioner)

There you have it folks. These things may differ from state to state, but i would assume that it's pretty similar.

I believe, to be an effective member of a firefighting team, you need to get both. I am working on my fire2, i already have my vehicle rescue and hazmat. You can function as an interior firefighter with just Fire1, but my personal opinion is: (as is with any dangerous occupation) In order to protect both yourself and your coworkers, you need to be certified to the highest level. "Everybody goes home". Firefighting is an extremely dangerous occupation to engage in, and to serve your highest purpose, you need to have the most knowledge possible!! To not only protect yourself, but everybody else!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

False... you find and quote me any exact words that say FF-1 is exterior only. Ive been FF-1 for volly and paid/volly departments and doing interrior work for almost 4 years.

FF-I is more about the work itself... FF-II is more in depth on the theory, I believe it is the same text book as well (if your using Essentials at least). I believe if anything FF-II is required if your doing inspection work, but dont hold me to that because thats what I did at my last job in a corporate building and Im only FF-I.

As a firefighter, you'd think he'd know that. #-o

I have my "Essentials of fire fighting" thats all I need to fight fires, now I have other training like of course EMT,CPR, Confined space rescue, trench rescue and others.

My dept wants everybody to have FF1 by January 2010, I personally think its a money hungry thing, my president/LT told me at my fire dept that to get grants we have to have so many FF1 trained guys or we wont get any. Im happy with what I have.

Plz keep in mind that I've been out of the business for a couple of years, however AZ used to split it up that FF1 (the inital cert) would be able to do exterior fire fighting...with the more advanced cert (FF2) being able to do the interior attacks. AZ is a strange state on many levels, so just to make sure things haven't changed-or I'm just talking out my ass, I'll get in contact with the state fire marshal's office in the AM and ask the horse itself.

Ok...so I got hold of the AZ state Fire Marshal's Office, training division, and the lady there...Molina stated "I don't know what the difference is. You'd have to look at a course." So...who knows in AZ what the difference is. I was told, however that they are no longer held separately (1 and 2) and are now held as one course, so you come out of any academy in AZ with your 1 & 2.