Baby Delivery So Easy an EMT Can Do It

spenac

I'll throw this kid in the middle of a meconium aspiration or breech birth sometime and see how well he does then.

I'm sure every high risk obstetrician in the world threw something at the TV set when they watched this kid, especially now that their malpractice rates are approaching the six figure range.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy crap we are chastising a kid who delivered his child. What the hell do you all want, I mean if you really want to discuss this let's put him on a small rowboat in the middle of the atlantic in a hurricane and have him deliver his baby.

Why are we slamming this guy? It's not like he had any freaking choice as to when his baby was coming.

Do you think he made that statement out of pure bravado rather than he was really nervous and he didn't want to say he was?

Ruff I hate disagreeing with you but I think he was being very arrogant enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. I commend him for doing what even literal taxi drivers have done and catching the kid. I just hate the I wasn't nervous, I was excited to do it. Anyone with any common sense would have been praying contractions stopped and been sweating bullets.

Anybody else would have admitted they feared for the baby and mothers life. Just feel it shows his lack of education to not know just what was at stake.

OK, perhaps an arrogance to hide the fear? Just thinking out loud.

So this former "Coastie" joins the ranks of EMTs, Paramedics, cab drivers, fire fighters, LEOs, Flight Cabin Attendants (formerly "Stewardesses"), train crew personnel, and at least one 6 year old who I read about who helped her mom deliver her sister, who have assisted at an out of hospital baby birth.

I think that we are all in agreement that, in a normal delivery, even a premature one, the mom does all the work, and anyone assisting is doing just that: assisting. We stand there with a catcher's mitt on, and say encouraging things until (pop) "It's a girl!"

I'm a former Coastie, married to a Coastie. ....The Guardian was not the most accurate look at what we do, for one thing. It IS a fictionalized account. It's no more accurate than Officer and a Gentleman was for the Navy.

If anyone would really like to know more about what we do, and how, or otherwise discuss the Coast Guard in a nondisparaging manner, I'd be happy to do so.

(and I don't mind the teasing of us Coasties, just so long as it's understood to be teasing and not really saying that Coasties don't do anything, etc. - because that I'd have a problem with)

In the meantime...I'm happy for the guy. I think it's cool that he caught his own child - and that the child was ok. I'd have insisted on landing at the nearest airport but that's just me.

Anyone asking the question about why a woman was flying let alone out of the country and more importantly away from her OB at 7 months?

Good catch, but as I see all to often here on the border lots of women do not think that not traveling during final trimester applies to them. Maybe if this EMT was better educated he would have stopped the trip.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.