Baby Delivery So Easy an EMT Can Do It

spenac

Anyone asking the question about why a woman was flying let alone out of the country and more importantly away from her OB at 7 months?

I see many pregnant women on airplanes every week. I'll bet I flew with 3 of them this past week.

Why is being away from her OB at 7months an issue here.

I just don't see the issue that you all have with this guy? This is a really discouraging thread.

I don't even really see an issue with his statement about not being nervous.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good catch, but as I see all to often here on the border lots of women do not think that not traveling during final trimester applies to them. Maybe if this EMT was better educated he would have stopped the trip.

And let me add yes this is old school thinking on my part. Most airlines allow you to fly 8 months or less no questions asked. Yet many doctors do still advise patients to avoid long flights and travel out of country during third trimester.

I still think this guy should have manned up rather than bragging and admitted he was crapping his pants.

And let me add yes this is old school thinking on my part. Most airlines allow you to fly 8 months or less no questions asked. Yet many doctors do still advise patients to avoid long flights and travel out of country during third trimester.

I still think this guy should have manned up rather than bragging and admitted he was crapping his pants.

i'm playing Spenac's Anti-advocate -

Why do you assume he was crapping in his pants? Maybe he really was calm cool and collected.

i'm playing Spenac's Anti-advocate -

Why do you assume he was crapping in his pants? Maybe he really was calm cool and collected.

With any education at all he should have been realizing oh crap I may be delivering our child just to watch it die. To just say he was not nervous makes him a liar or extremely uneducated.

Even with all the babys including premies I have delivered if it was my wife and I had to deliver premie I would be praying to God and sweating bullets while I went thru the steps to do what little can be done. In my mind I would have the realitys running that I could lose our baby. I also would realize if she is in labor so early that something might be wrong with my wife. So while yes I would play catcher, I would be nervous.

you are making a lot of assumptions here spenac

You are assuming that the guy is a moron

You are assuming that you're reaction would be universal to everyone.

Uh... Ruff? That reaction IS pretty universal for ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about gestational development and childbirth....

Most of us don't go "Oh, a preemie, no problem" last time I checked....

I don't think anyone should jump all over this guy for saying he wasn't nervous. So he told the TV folks he wasn't nervous... who cares? He didn't say he induced labor and did a C-section, for crying out loud!

And what did you all expect, anyway? At the EMT-Basic level, we're pretty much just told to catch and not drop. Clear airway, call for backup if problems. ?? You expected him to do...? Baby got born and didn't die, thank God that a healthy child was born instead of freaking out about his father's reaction... many are not so lucky.

I agree as to the poor judgment exhibited by both parents as to traveling during the 7th month though... not the best idea in the world.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

you are making a lot of assumptions here spenac

You are assuming that the guy is a moron

You are assuming that you're reaction would be universal to everyone.

OK you win. I presume anyone with an ounce of common sense would be nervous about the prospect of losing his wife and premie child. Perhaps he was calm and cool because he thought hey my wife might not make it so I'll be rich when I cash the insurance as well as settle with the airline for wrongful death. :shock:

I presumed way to much, he is cold, cool, and calloused from rescuing bering sea crabbers. Nothing will break his calm. I apologize, welcome to earth superman you are a great father and husband.

I digress.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.