Baby Delivery So Easy an EMT Can Do It

spenac

I'm a former Coastie, married to a Coastie. ....The Guardian was not the most accurate look at what we do, for one thing. It IS a fictionalized account. It's no more accurate than Officer and a Gentleman was for the Navy.

If anyone would really like to know more about what we do, and how, or otherwise discuss the Coast Guard in a nondisparaging manner, I'd be happy to do so.

(and I don't mind the teasing of us Coasties, just so long as it's understood to be teasing and not really saying that Coasties don't do anything, etc. - because that I'd have a problem with)

In the meantime...I'm happy for the guy. I think it's cool that he caught his own child - and that the child was ok. I'd have insisted on landing at the nearest airport but that's just me.

Was just teasing the Coasties, I am familiar with them and what they can or can not do from my time in Alaska. I had the opportunity to have many Coastie friends, do medical training with them and practical applications in the water.

Do not get all worked up love.... :lol::lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one think that maybe he was not nervous since it was his own child and he might have been feeling the joy of his child's birth?

Nope because anyone with any common sense would have been worried about the baby dieing and possibly even losing his wife. There would be no time to focus on the joy, but perhaps his education sucked and he had no clue how risky this event was.

"Nope because anyone with any common sense would have been worried about the baby dieing and possibly even losing his wife. There would be no time to focus on the joy, but perhaps his education sucked and he had no clue how risky this event was."

Ignorance is bliss.

You are right, anyone with any clue would at LEAST be nervous. I am very happy for him that his premature baby had the lung strength to survive at such an early age. If he is trying to look big with denying any fear I hope that he someday realizes how uneducated it makes him look.

Nope because anyone with any common sense would have been worried about the baby dieing and possibly even losing his wife. There would be no time to focus on the joy, but perhaps his education sucked and he had no clue how risky this event was.

Maybe this guy just does not think negatively. Also this guy had EMT basic training back in the day. For all we know they did not cover OB that well, and going many years down the road he forgot anything about it that he knew. So if he did not know anything, then he had no reason to be nervous.

On another point, this is a media document, who is to say they did not edit it as they saw fit. Rather than putting in this guy shit his pants because he forgot all his training, they decided "he had coast guard EMT training, and he was not nervous at all" sounded better overall.

alright we've all know those folks who when the illness and conditions inflict their loved ones forget to think and just react adn feel. Maybe he forgot what they taught him and was just excite dhis child was being born. Ive heard of men and women who deliver at home because they want to deliver the child themselves. Maybe he forgot that delievering that early wasnt a good thing. And maybe he's the type of person to remain opptomistic in the face of thigns that would scare the crap out of most people. and sometimes you dont have time to get scared or nervous you just have time to react and go off of what you remember and were trained to do. He's probably a adrenaline junkie and was to hypered up to have the pucker factor kick in.

just putting in my two cents worth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.