Your Very First Call

Tech217

The I-95 in NYC is the Cross Bronx Expressway, connecting the George Washington Bridge to New Jersey on one end, and the New England Thruway on the other end of the Bronx. Typically, one can play several games of chess with the person in the car next to you, despite being a 3 lane each direction limited access road.

Figure the GWB end as feeding into 6 lanes, or the other direction being jammed with 6 into 3.

Can you say "Bottleneck"?

My first call was in EMT school we did ride alongs. We were still in the station and it was the first time I had even heard the radio go off so I jumped yeah it scared me, and we were told it was an MVA 2 cars+ 2+ pts. We get there and there is 3 a 16 y/o f in an suv (moms of course). Mom was on her way so the basic was getting a refusal.

The other car an older oldsmobile type the heftier type cars. The paramedic told me to pick a pt.

I STUPIDLY picked the BIG girl. I took her Hx and asked her what happened where(IF) she was hurt ect. Smelling ins $$$ here. Suddenly she complains of Neck pain. Yes ma'am you get a backboard, Yes ma'am the collar IS necessary YES I have to put tape on your head. No it will not go over your mouth (me thinking darnit NO tape on her mouth remember ABCs. :D) As I begin to board her fire shows up, they ask how can I help. I say do XYZ and please grab me x and y.

As we pull away with 2 pts (me surfing) I hear the fire chief say to the paramedic. Who is she ?? She was pretty efficient. (I grin). Paramedic says a student just told you what to do capt. HE was SO red. Ahh that was nice.

I-95 here in New York City is one of the, if not THE, most traffic congested roadways IN the city.

Yeah, the Cross Bronx Expressway sucks!

You forgot to mention the LIE from Main St down thru the Grand Central/Van Wyck interchanges all the way down to the BQE. Usually jams up pretty good

( actually the LIE all the way out past exit 57 is bad)

Oh, My first call was a code.

He didn't make it.

Yeah, the Cross Bronx Expressway sucks!

You forgot to mention the LIE from Main St down thru the Grand Central/Van Wyck interchanges all the way down to the BQE. Usually jams up pretty good

Obviously, you know something of the New York traffic pattern.

Perhaps you know why the Van Wyck Expressway always jams up from Liberty Avenue to Main Street (both directions) when there is no accident or construction blocking, at any and all hours of the day or night? Been driving from 1971, and never figured that one out.

My very first call was a 200lb++ woman miscarrying twins at 13 weeks. We got called out just as my partner and I were leaving the staff apartment to head for the base and go over paperwork etc. We're met at the front door of the duplex by the pt's hubby and other small children. He leads myself and my 2 partners up roughly a dozen stairs and into the bathroom, where our pt was sitting in the tub with blood ALL OVER the tub and walls.

<insert assessment etc etc here>

We put her on a stair chair with a frac pan under her to catch anything that may come out. She's grabbing grabbing at the railings half way down, and she's too heavy to stop and try to restrain her arms somewhat. Keep going keep going (I'm holding the O2 cannister hehehe), bottom of stairs and onto stretcher outside, into ambulance.

<insert tx here>

Get her to hospital which is like 5 minutes away, wheel her in, she's going shocky on us. We're helping out the RN's and getting her transferred over, hospital gown, etc etc. One RN goes to move the frac pan from underneath her as we moved her from stretcher to hospital bed ... she's obviously passed the twins at this point. So, nursey nurse puts the pan down on the table beside the pt's head. I was trapped between the hospital bed and a crash cart, was trying nonchalantly draw another nurse's attention to the blobs before the pt noticed ... WHOOPS, TOO LATE! Pt starts moaning, then screaming wildly and she ended up being restrained, poor thing. Nurse notices what she did and promptly moves the miscarried items to another location.

We ended up transferring her to another larger hospital 2 days later for admittance to a psych ward ... attempted suicide.

THE END.

My very first call was a 200lb++ woman miscarrying twins at 13 weeks. We got called out just as my partner and I were leaving the staff apartment to head for the base and go over paperwork etc. We're met at the front door of the duplex by the pt's hubby and other small children. He leads myself and my 2 partners up roughly a dozen stairs and into the bathroom, where our pt was sitting in the tub with blood ALL OVER the tub and walls.

<insert assessment etc etc here>

We put her on a stair chair with a frac pan under her to catch anything that may come out. She's grabbing grabbing at the railings half way down, and she's too heavy to stop and try to restrain her arms somewhat. Keep going keep going (I'm holding the O2 cannister hehehe), bottom of stairs and onto stretcher outside, into ambulance.

<insert tx here>

Get her to hospital which is like 5 minutes away, wheel her in, she's going shocky on us. We're helping out the RN's and getting her transferred over, hospital gown, etc etc. One RN goes to move the frac pan from underneath her as we moved her from stretcher to hospital bed ... she's obviously passed the twins at this point. So, nursey nurse puts the pan down on the table beside the pt's head. I was trapped between the hospital bed and a crash cart, was trying nonchalantly draw another nurse's attention to the blobs before the pt noticed ... WHOOPS, TOO LATE! Pt starts moaning, then screaming wildly and she ended up being restrained, poor thing. Nurse notices what she did and promptly moves the miscarried items to another location.

We ended up transferring her to another larger hospital 2 days later for admittance to a psych ward ... attempted suicide.

THE END.

Sounds like a tough and complicated situation. Miscarriage along with psych? Two elements I would rather avoid, especially at the same time.

25 yrs. ago today I made my first ambulance run. Wow, how time drags.

Interesting coincidence. As I type this, I am back barely hours after the "Pulse Check" Convention of the New York State volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association, which, as I started "in the fall of 1973", marks 35 years in ambulance service!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.