Your Very First Call

Tech217

My first call as a real crew member was a transfer... how exciting. My first real 911 call was for respiratory distress. We got there and it was an elderly man with moderate SOB that had been helped by the NRB from fire a bit. Gave some ventolin, got him on the stair chair and out of the house and by the time we had him in the truck the SOB was resolved.

At this point I'm thinking this is pretty fun finally doing a call without a preceptor looking over my shoulder and feeling pretty good about actually helping the patient... then while on our leisurely drive to the hospital my partner yelled back asking if I was ready to go on the radio to update the hospital and at that exact time the pt's HR dropped into the 40s and he went unconscious :shock:

My first call as a real crew member was a transfer... how exciting. My first real 911 call was for respiratory distress. We got there and it was an elderly man with moderate SOB that had been helped by the NRB from fire a bit. Gave some ventolin, got him on the stair chair and out of the house and by the time we had him in the truck the SOB was resolved.

At this point I'm thinking this is pretty fun finally doing a call without a preceptor looking over my shoulder and feeling pretty good about actually helping the patient... then while on our leisurely drive to the hospital my partner yelled back asking if I was ready to go on the radio to update the hospital and at that exact time the pt's HR dropped into the 40s and he went unconscious :shock:

Sure, just let me tell dispatch to send those ACPs we cancelled after all first :D

A lot of people also remember their first of a type of call. I remember my first shooting. A guy was beating the crap out of his wife and she got to a .22 rifle and popped him upper right quad of the abd. Small caliber but a lot of damage. No exit wound, but you could see a bulge in his back where the bullet lodged just before breaking the skin. No charges filed against her. Self defense. Also, the sheriff at the time just sort of turned a blind eye. He had a thing for guys who beat their wives. I guess you could say he wouldn't p!ss on them if they were on fire.

I remember my first job pretty well...

I was working in a city that I basically grew up in. Summer was in full swing, and, at the Jersey Shore, meant that the shoobies were coming in droves. And with vacation, comes stupidity, especially driving. MVC at the toll plaza on GSP, MM 29.5. Family of 4, 3 girls, and a mom hit the toll plaza, and couldn't make up their mind if they were hurt or not. We ended up transporting 2 backboarded patients, and 2 non injured ones. Hind sight, shoulda called for another bus.

Remember to stay calm. Deep breath when you can feel the jitters of adrenaline coming on. You ain't gonna be any good to anyone if you are a nervous wreck. Remember your training, stay calm, and don't trip! :lol:

Flasurfbum wrote

at the Jersey Shore, meant that the shoobies were coming in droves.

Is/are "the shoobies" your local name for what my locals in the Rockaways beach areas call DFDs, or "Down For the Day" people? Oceanfront/Beachfront/The Shore non-residents who don't know local customs, traffic patterns, and more importantly, when to come out and stay out of the water as the lifeguards went off duty, and have no knowledge of prevailing or expected sudden changes in the water currents?

I speak here anecdotally that the majority of either "sudden disappearance", "submersions," and "drownings" here in the New York City beach in Rockaway are DFDs.

Is/are "the shoobies" your local name for what my locals in the Rockaways beach areas call DFDs, or "Down For the Day" people? Oceanfront/Beachfront/The Shore non-residents who don't know local customs, traffic patterns, and more importantly, when to come out and stay out of the water as the lifeguards went off duty, and have no knowledge of prevailing or expected sudden changes in the water currents?

I speak here anecdotally that the majority of either "sudden disappearance", "submersions," and "drownings" here in the New York City beach in Rockaway are DFDs.

You nailed it to a "T"!

I have made a couple of off duty, after hours ocean rescues for these walking job securities.

I remember my first call. My EMT FTO, her medic partner and I got sent on, of course, a no-code response to a nursing home for an 82y/o F who had an elevated white count. We totally saved her life.

Oh, about 12 years ago when I took my first EMT-B class, we were practicing our trauma patient assessment, and our instructor would throw some 'interesting' mechanisms of injury on us. Mine was a 42 year old man, who was shot 3 times, stabbed 5 times in the back, and thrown off a 5 story building and sexually assaulted on the way down. About a year later I landed my first job on a hospital based ambulance service, and we were dispatched to one of our 'better parts of town' for a 23 YOM with a toothache. As I was radioing my assessment in, the MedBase operator was my EMT instructor, I reported, "We are inbound to XYZ hospital with a 42 year old male, no local physician, who was reportedly shot 3 times, stabbed 5 times in the back, and thrown off a 5 story building, and sexually assaulted on the way down, requesting Med Channel, ETA 9 minutes." There was about 15 seconds of dead silence, then "Go to Med 8, " I switched to 8, Then I heard, "No, for real, what do you have". I thought it was funny at the time

Ruff, Iron Ball McGinness is the maria guy from The Jerk. Steve Martin Kicked him in the cods and found out why he was named that. The shooter picked out Navin R from the phone book kinda random.

Welcome Tech217.

Just remember not to buy into the drama of the call, it's their emergency not yours.

Remember to stay calm. Deep breath when you can feel the jitters of adrenaline coming on. You ain't gonna be any good to anyone if you are a nervous wreck. Remember your training, stay calm, and don't trip! :)

LOL On my first live fire training i tripped and fell flat on my face. in front of Chief! On my first fire i tripped again! Remember don't run or jog on scene!

I'm actually having a hard time deciding what my first call really was. It seems when i first started i got most of my EMS experience off duty. There was a road side assist for a diabetic...hmm... I'd have to say my first actual call/ run/ walk was when i worked at a water park. I was the only EMT and we had a spinal injury on one of the slides. I boarded, makeshift c-spine, and assessed her all inside the slide. This was my first time putting a pt on a board! I had help from the lifeguards and eventually an AMR crew met up with us. that's when i let them take over. I was a little nervous.

Welcome to a career of wiping bottoms and being the little old lady's hero of the day; untill of course she falls again and can't get up. then she forgets you and falls in love with the next FF or EMT that picks her up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.