Your Very First Call

Tech217

WOW. Hopefully since my status here is still listed as "newbie" I can be forgiven for posting in the wrong forum.

I also hope to be forgiven for discussing my first "call," where clearly I meant to discuss my first "run." Again, I'm a newbie all around, and I guess it certainly shows.

:oops:

No need to be forgiven. We all make mistakes when we're new, it's just that we keep making them unless someone gives us a heads up.

You're doing fine! Posting is the key to learning, and as you've shown here, being mature enough to to take advice, admit that your new without whining...We're happy to have you.

You'll let us know what your first run turns out to be, right?

Also, calmness is the key. You'll come to notice that those that get the most respect on scene are almost always those that are 'calmly serious'.

Good luck!

Dwayne

Also, calmness is the key. You'll come to notice that those that get the most respect on scene are almost always those that are 'calmly serious'.

As excited and nervous as I may be coming across, I definitely understand this. And I see myself as the kind of person who truly can keep my cool on scene, for sure. Clearly it has to be that way, and I have a hunch this will come naturally to me. It's the anticipation leading up to my first run that has me going crazy!!! LOL.

Thanks for your kind words, Dwayne, they are much appreciated! And I will certainly let you all know the story of my first run!

No need to be forgiven. We all make mistakes when we're new, it's just that we keep making them unless someone gives us a heads up.

What he said. Just like your instructor who told you about "running", I'm just trying to help a n00b learn the lingo.

Don't sweat it. It's only five points. :wink:

see dust's just a misunderstood soul, searching for his place in the world. As soon as he finds it he will shout from the rooftops "I am here" and as soon as he get's his name in the phone book he will "Be somebody"

Dust, when do I get the invite.

I can't remember what the guy was shooting at him for though.

I'm gonna have to go rent it again.

Remember Iron Balls McGinnis?

Tech,

You'll earn your first call AND 5 points back when you get dispatched to a fall victim(*cough, dust, cough*) off a roof......some guy up on it was shouting something and fell off. :shock:

Seriously good luck!! Be careful!!!

All love here for ya Dust...... :wink:

Hey Tech welcome to the site and the biz. My first call was to a respiratory distress as a student. When we arrived on scene my preceptor allowed me to run the call. So while trying to demonstrate my new found skills, I upset a security guard by ordering him out of the way of the door, and managed to run right past the patient. #-o The patient was outside sitting on a bench. Needless to say once everybody finished giggling at me " :laughing6: " I learned very quickly to completely assess a scene on entry and don't be afraid to ask questions.

:D Sounds like something I would do, rdelisle! Thank you for sharing your story.

And thank you to Laura Anne also. I gotta say, if somone is going to go up on a roof for the purpose of shouting things, I might not have much sympathy when they fall off!!! :tongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.