Your Very First Call

Tech217

LOL On my first live fire training i tripped and fell flat on my face. in front of Chief! On my first fire i tripped again! Remember don't run or jog on scene!

I did that a few times at scenes, oh, and once at Fire College. I was fully packed and was usually running. Once was at a trailer fire with about 8" of snow. There was a slight up hill incline that I ran up but when I got to the top my Scott-Pack shifted forward causing me to loose my balance and fall forward. I had snow and ice packed on my mask and regulator. At the same fire I was getting ready to go in and my Capt. warned me of a hole in the floor inside the door. I thought he was talking about the door way at the bedroom where my bud Jimmy was in. Needless to say, I was wrong. It was just inside the door of the trailer. I stepped in and my left leg went through. My ankle was at the same level as my ear and I felt like I did the splits like a cheerleader. So it wasn't my night. And of course at the Fire Dept., they don't let you forget things like that for about three years.

• 1 month later...

I had the most exciting, amazing, and unbelievable call on my first EMS Ride-Along...It was the call of the century...I had never been more exciting...it was soooo amazing...you would never believe what I got!

I got a friggin...

X-Fer. :roll:

Dialysis Transfer.

My first 911 "call/run" was also on my first ride-along...Chest Pains. Turned out to be nothing...however we did get a Code-3 X-FER later that night for a "Emergency Childbirth". Praise the Lord we got cancelled on that... ](*,)

However, THE most exciting call I have ever been on was a "full" arrest. 2120 or so at the Station...(I was gonna leave at 2200)...I was hoping I would get another call. I was sitting watching TV when: "Dee Beep Dee Doo Doooo, *psssh*, DeDoDeDoDeDoDeDoDeDoDedo...450!!!! 450!!! Cardiac arrest!!!"

I jumped out of the recliner so fast...never seen the medics run to the truck, and we went to the "full" arrest.

Turned out to be a...upset lady with 'chest pain'. :director:

Stay safe, your gonna love this site...a lot of great people here, *cough* ECHOBURGER *cough*, :toothy7:

Just kiddin'. Stay safe brother.

my very first call.....was with one of my ems instructors, went to a fall victim turns out that we used the ked for a "unoffical proceedure" reversing it and using it to stabilize the pelvis. that was the one of the best days i have had in the service....many more i have had since then and many more i will have. we love the streets we do make a difference in peoples lives.

And of course at the Fire Dept., they don't let you forget things like that for about three years.

Only 3 years? I'm still hearing stuff from when I started in 1973 being repeated yesterday!Some of this stuff was from BEFORE I became a member of the FDNY with the merger in 1996.

Only 3 years? I'm still hearing stuff from when I started in 1973 being repeated yesterday!Some of this stuff was from BEFORE I became a member of the FDNY with the merger in 1996.

I think the time period is relative to what kind of incident, Rich. :? :D

My very first call as a paramedic was an mva. One vehicle into a tree at 100+ mph. The car actually hit the tree roof first, since it was in the process of rolling. Both the hood and the trunk were touching. It took 20 mins of extrication along with two wreckers to get the 14 y/o driver out of the car. She was a full trauma system entry. Fractured ribs, pulmonary contusions, fractured liver, ruptured spleen, shattered pelvis and the standard extremity fractures.

Definately had me wondering if I was ready for this job!!

My very first call as a paramedic was an mva. One vehicle into a tree at 100+ mph. The car actually hit the tree roof first, since it was in the process of rolling. Both the hood and the trunk were touching. It took 20 mins of extrication along with two wreckers to get the 14 y/o driver out of the car. She was a full trauma system entry. Fractured ribs, pulmonary contusions, fractured liver, ruptured spleen, shattered pelvis and the standard extremity fractures.

Definately had me wondering if I was ready for this job!!

Well they do say go big or go home.

The first call I had was while doing my clinical ride time for EMT-B school. First call of the night turned out to be a 26 car mva. (Gotta LOVE 'black ice'!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.