What sad sack state did this happen in? ... Oh shoot - mine

Kaisu

** Laughs then walks away rolling eyes**

Not good enough Timmy. You don't get to play for free. If you have an intelligent opinion, then let's hear it.

If not, then don't do the "I'm simply too smart and too good to participate in such a silly conversation." nonsense.

You're too old, and been here too long to play that crap. That is for the n00bs.

Dwayne

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not trying to be smart.

All I seem to hear on this site is how people screw up, turf wars or something similar. People go on about being professional, there’s nothing professional about blocking an ambulance from leaving a scene with a timed critical patient, sending basic first aiders to pediatric emergency calls and the other countless articles bagging out EMS. What has it come to? Comparing real life threatening situations to stupid, fictional movies?

As I read though the EMS news section I can see countless threads, all negative. Some are so stupid and unbelievable it makes me sick. People, in fact young kids are dying because of ‘professional stupidity’. A few articles just send my mind completely numb, you can’t help but think how did this happen? Really is it possible? I know there only news paper articles but even if the media did talk it up its still a stupid situation.

As for the douche bag in this shenanigan, really what more can I say than he needs a psych consult and a review of his paramedic license. What brings any human being let alone a man who’s dedicated his life to helping others to block this patient from getting to the hospital?

Every time I read an article along these lines I hope that the next time I log on there might actually be happy news, news that shows people have used initiative and brain power to help save a life. But I find that the cop got promoted for potentially causing serious harm. I mean, how can you possible justify it? Is anything even being done to prevent the people who are there to help you from killing you? Or will I continue to read about kids dying for stupid, insane, crazy reasons? I know a lot of people are excellent at what they do and complete their job very well but seriously, how do some of these people get jobs in EMS in the first place.

I really have nothing left to say on the issue, I have no doubt that in the next few weeks I’ll log on only to find more negativity.

But what if she had reason to believe that the service that currently "possessed" the patient was not giving proper care? (Devil's advocate only)

Dwayne

Alright, I'll bite.

If a patient is already in an ambulance, an ALS ambulance mind you, who already has a helicopter enroute, then what place does a Law Enforcement Officer have in determining a patient is not properly cared for? Its not a LEO's place to do any type of triage. You have to know your role.

On top of all that, the officer clearly had a conflict of interest. She had two things she could have done:

1. Apologize to the original ambulance crew and let them be on their way, then tell her husband to grow up.

2. Call for another officer and/or supervisor to handle the situation. Of course, you risk looking like a fool to one of your colleagues for delaying patient care. I guess that promotion would have gone down the sink.

If I were that patient, I would own that car the intruding medic was driving out of his house!

I’m not trying to be smart.

All I seem to hear on this site is how people screw up, turf wars or something similar. People go on about being professional, there’s nothing professional about blocking an ambulance from leaving a scene with a timed critical patient, sending basic first aiders to pediatric emergency calls and the other countless articles bagging out EMS. What has it come to? Comparing real life threatening situations to stupid, fictional movies?

As I read though the EMS news section I can see countless threads, all negative. Some are so stupid and unbelievable it makes me sick. People, in fact young kids are dying because of ‘professional stupidity’. A few articles just send my mind completely numb, you can’t help but think how did this happen? Really is it possible? I know there only news paper articles but even if the media did talk it up its still a stupid situation.

As for the douche bag in this shenanigan, really what more can I say than he needs a psych consult and a review of his paramedic license. What brings any human being let alone a man who’s dedicated his life to helping others to block this patient from getting to the hospital?

Every time I read an article along these lines I hope that the next time I log on there might actually be happy news, news that shows people have used initiative and brain power to help save a life. But I find that the cop got promoted for potentially causing serious harm. I mean, how can you possible justify it? Is anything even being done to prevent the people who are there to help you from killing you? Or will I continue to read about kids dying for stupid, insane, crazy reasons? I know a lot of people are excellent at what they do and complete their job very well but seriously, how do some of these people get jobs in EMS in the first place.

I really have nothing left to say on the issue, I have no doubt that in the next few weeks I’ll log on only to find more negativity.

Holy shit. I bagged on you a bit because I thought you were being cocky and arrogant, yet you went on to explain that your thinking almost exactly mirrored mine when I first read the article, only you explained your point much more intelligently and eloquently.

You know why I didn't continue along that line of thought? YOU! Do you remember the goofy kid that came here? Telling us spelling, punctuation...and that stupid grammar was just not as important as having a place to hang out? Now look at you. You're a mentor. Those of us that used to preach to you now learn from you on a regular basis. Who'd a thunk it?

Don't let it get you down man. These articles get a lot a attention specifically because they are not real, every day life. Those of us here don't do that crap because we expect more from each other.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (author and exact quote often disputed)

Keep doing what you're doing Timmy. It helps. It makes a change. It truly makes things better. At times when I was dead tired, just sick of worrying about my grades, I'd sometimes think about you taking your beatings here, always becoming better, but never running away, as most do. You helped me be better and I'm old enough to be your granddad.

Don't let these stories convince you that you shouldn't be here. You're strong, and smart...and you're a teacher now. So learn, and teach, and don't let anything else matter.

Dwayne

Has anyone heard the other guy's side?

Not that I think he's in the right at all. You don't try to steal a patient. But did he in his mind think he was going to give better care or maybe take him to a different hospital or that original medics missed something he didn't or something like that? Or was it completely about service area?

As has been said, this stuff is ridiculous. Especially that promotion only a couple months after the incident.

I can see myself being on both sides of this. I can also tell you that I would have handled things different according to what stage of my career you may have caught me in.

If I were the medic from the hospital service, early on in my career, I probably would have done the exact same thing he did, and look like an ass in the process. During this part of my career, I would have opened the back doors and checked to see if the medic needed any help. If he did, I would have ridden with him to the LZ, if not I would have gotten out and closed the doors.

If I were the medic from the county/ fire service, I pretty much would have handled it the same way no matter what stage of my career you caught me in. I would have told the ignorant deputy to move her ass from in front of my ambulance or her husband was going to have a patient to take care of.

I wish they would have told how long both of the medics involved have been licensed. That would probably explain their actions somewhat.

-5 for the 2nd douche nozzle medic....... :thebirdman:

There is no excuse for this to have happened. And can you say conflict of interest on the cops part...WTF????? But hey lets promote her for a job (hand)well done :ky: :pottytrain2:

What an abortion. Jeeeze. :?

Some good points all around. Especially Timmy's reference to a psych consult. Apparently, Medic Hart exhibited some troubling behaviour that could be a sign of deeper issues. If this guy has issues with anger, immature judgement, social instability, or poor stress management, then that should be professionally determined and addressed. In fact, it should have been evaluated before he was hired, especially by a hospital. I would have him on paid leave until that was done, unless, of course, it was determined that he was just plain wrong, regardless of psych issues, in which case I'd just sack him.

Dwayne also brings up a good point about the dickless deputy. She exhibited extremely poor judgement. And, being in the emergency services (probably an ex EMT herself, I'd bet), she should know better. However, I too understand the decision making process she utilised. She probably trusts that her husband is t3h 4w3some m3d1c (as I would hope my wife does), and that if he is throwing a Kanipshin on a scene, then the situation is serious and she should intervene. It was, of course, the wrong move though, and she should be charged criminally for abusing her authority and interfering with EMS. Of course, that would screw up the Sheriff's Affirmative Action numbers, so he's trying very hard not to upset that apple cart.

I gotta say though, there are some confusing elements to this story. Who is the original medic, and where the hell did he come from? He works for a different agency than the EMT with the gay sunglasses, who was driving the Osceola ambulance. And they refer to him telling "his crew" to drive to the helicopter rendezvous. Who is "his crew"? Was there somebody else other than him and the EMT? Was it a dual-EMT crew, and this guy just showed up in his POV or a chase car? If so, then I can see why Hart may have thought that he needed to assume care.

Had he succeeded in hijacking that patient though, I bet the helicopter crew -- having just flown through the snow to get there -- would have come looking for his arse after landing to find there was no patient. I sure would have.

And by the way, what did happen anyhow? Neither story tells us. Did the deputy finally let the ambulance go meet the helicopter? Did they have to go with a new driver?

I don't buy this whole media-driven nonsense about Hart being interested in his agency making a buck off of the transport. This guy obviously has some poor judgement, but seriously, in the last thirty years, I have never worked with anybody at any agency -- hospital, private, county, fire, or otherwise -- who cared one bit about who got paid for the transport. Have you? I think it was more about his personal ego than who got to bill for it. The media, simply being clueless as usual, just jumped to a really silly conclusion and decided to pass it off as fact.

Bottom line: Never trust a man driving a mini-van.

But what if she had reason to believe that the service that currently "possessed" the patient was not giving proper care? (Devil's advocate only)

Dwayne

Unless that Deputy is an equal or higher medical license than those of the 'posessing crew/service', the Deputy has NOTHING to say.

Patient contact had been made, treatments initiated and transportation had been initiated.

If the attending/possesing crew' didnt have actual consent to treat/transport; it's safe to say that they had 'implied consent' and were well within their boundaries to treat and transport.

There was nothing mentioned about improper care in the story (that I caught at least), so therefore we can presume that the 'possessing service' wasn't being negligent or abusive in this situation.

Since there was at least 'implied consent' to treat/transport, there is no grounds for a kidnapping charge. Since there's no kidnapping or abuse charge, the second medic is out of 'grounds' to try to force a transfer of care, and the Deputy (wife or not). has NO GROUNDS to get involved, other than to tell her husband to stop acting like a complete ass and let the 'crew/service in possession' do their job!

Do most other carriers carry a 2x4 chunk of wood on their shoulder, just because another ambulance outfit is judgemental on the aspects of whose side are we on?

Must be, is that always the case, of course and if it brings us to the Mother, Jugs and Speed theory, right on!!

I like the Grand-Daddy's response-Dust. :P at least I know you have a good head on your shoulders. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.