Bulletproof Vests for EMS

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd wear one just because it will make me look buff under my uniform.... *flexes*

Hey good selling point. Now all the whackers will buy them. Not for the right reasons but if it saves their life who cares why they bought it.

I can't wait to order one. Wonder if it will make me look younger and buff? :-k

Either it was a bad concept, or instructions for dummies, but I remember seeing a soft body armor trauma plate, had printed on it, "This Side Towards Bullet".

Well, the plates we have in Iraq still say "STRIKE FACE" on the front of them, even though they are curved so that they really only fit one way into the vest. So, kinda like colour coding medication boxes in medicine, you always have to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator in a vain attempt to prevent deaths and lawsuits.

I'd wear one just because it will make me look buff under my uniform.... *flexes*

Damn, I thought I was the only one who figured that benefit out! :oops:

Well the military prints "this side toward enemy" on claymore mines!!! If you can not figure that out, should you really be placing the high explosive device?

On presumption that anyone in the Army or Marines has one job, that of doing what they were told to do (SIR!), and might not always have ordnance training. Hence, the "this side towards enemy" label is probably a good idea.

However, I am told that they also had reflective "cat's eyes" on them, on the rear of the claymores. In Vietnam, the Op Force sometimes got smart, turned the claymores around, peeled the reflective devices off, and put them on the "business end". A "grunt" would see the reflective tape with his flashlight, think it was still pointed towards the enemy, possibly see the enemy in the danger zone, fire the claymore...only to end up blowing up himself and other "friendlys" in what was supposed to be a safety zone.

Well, if it came to placing a claymore the response most likely would have been Yes, Sergeant! (The officers would not be getting dirrty like that, LOL).

I never heard of or saw cats eyes on the claymores, but I can see units doing that.

Sarge

Related article:

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News...-Deaths/1$41099

27% of officers killed last year were not wearing vests. Not that they would have survived for sure, but that's a whole 1/4 who MIGHT have survived and gone home to their families. Doesn't mean we need to rush out and get one, but if you're considering their effectiveness.....

• 8 months later...

I was required to purchase a vest as part of my field practicum. Chances are that the service I get hired on with will not require me to wear that vest, but since I already paid 600 bucks for it, and we are seeing an increase in violence around here, I figure wearing it is probably alot smarter than leaving it in my closet. Plus when its -50 here, it keeps me warm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.