speed limit??

Steven H

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ABSOLUTELY You cannot drive safely at high high rates of speed. As a matter of fact, many emt's and medics cannot drive safely at any speed.

this has been discussed over and over again.

FDNY states in it's ops orders, no department vehicle is allowed to go more than 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit, and none are to go faster than 50 miles per hour. There are no roads within New York City posted at more than 50, however, there are 65 MPH roads in other areas of New York State.

my company is not not allowed to go over 45 MPH

That'd be great, if we wanted to increase transport time, and decrease patient outcome. It would definitely benefit the air ambulance services.. Some people just need to get there with in 60-90 minutes. Not every service is five minutes from a hospital. On some of our roads, 30 is too fast, but 'main roadway', 55-65 is a good rate of speed. That's about what everyone else drives. No need to go over 70... In my expirence, the few extra minutes it takes to get there safe, doesn't make that much difference.

Nope it sure doesn't make a big difference. in some cases you only get there 45 seconds faster than you would have going the regular speed.

We most drivers go "BALLS TO THE WALLS", they don't care about anyone else out there. Those are the ones that are going to kill someone or kill themselves.

I know I have done it, but i have slowed my speed down. I'm not out here trying to kill me or my partner, or my patient.

They only thing that those lights and sirens do is get your butt through the red lights legally and get people to pull over so you can get by.

LET THE BASHING BEGIN!!!!

In fire we can only go 10km over the posted speed limit. In built up areas sometimes we even go a tad under the speed limit because it takes a while to stop one of those trucks. Sometimes you get those whackers who go some stupid speed like my group officer :roll:

As for EMS I have no idea, but I have seen them fly by my house but I live on a straight dead quiet highway so…

Speed Kills, Slow Down :wink:

Our laws allow us to go 25% over the posted speed limit, as long as road conditions allow.

However, if we should get into an accident, we had better be prepared to justify that speed, and if we were travelling at more than the 25% over, insurance will not cover anything, and the driver had better be prepared for lawsuits.

It is frustrating that some people I have worked with haven't figured out that "pedal to the metal" is not the way to run every call... and downright scary for those of us in the back..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.