speed limit??

Steven H

When it is clear and dry, no problem -unless a tire failure.

And you think that risk is insignificant?

There is NO scenario in EMS where that is acceptable. None. You aren't going to save a patient with that extra speed. And you put other innocent people at risk. That's beyond stupid. It's criminal. If you survive that wreck, somebody's relative is going to kill you themselves. I would.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hit someone doing 100mph and you will certainly be held liable. Don't doubt that for a second.

How about a personal observation on policy.

We had an ambulance accident here several years ago. It went down like this. Our unit was responding to an emergency call with lights and sirens. They had the green light. it was a 4 way intersection with 2 lanes of travel in each direction. There were 2 cars stopped at the light to the crew members right basically blocking both lanes that should enter the intersection. A third vehicle came around the two stopped vehicles and entered the intersection against a red light. Our unit and the offending vehicle met and killed both of the offending vehicles occupants and one of the students riding in our ambulance.

We were held partially liable under a "contributory negligence" law because our policy stated that our units could not respond more than 10mph over the speed limit and the ambulance was traveling 16 miles over the posted speed limit.

The city paid out a large settlement to the student's family and the family's of the people in the offending vehicle. Don't for a second take your responsibility as the driver of that ambulance lightly.

Yes, in such circumstances, we travel slower just in case something like that ever happens.

Aurora, CO Fire Department engine hit a vehicle which ran a red signal. Engine had green signal. Entire family was killed: driver, wife and two children(?).

I believe it was found that the driver was drunk.

We think of such worst case scenarios and drive accordingly.

Situation 5 For the rare and uncommon transfer/response which time is of the essence and no other transport is available there are the situations which only a very few select, most experienced few are deemed qualified. They may be known in other areas as other names but we called them "Kamikaze" runs. When a doctor pulls you aside and asks you that even with stopping time, you can average over 85 mph, then you know he is wanting his patient at the other facility in the quickest time possible. This type of transport does not fall on the skills of just the driver, but by the entire crew. One must realize that at those speeds, something like a flat/blow would be no recovery. A passenger is a must up front to be a second set of eyes and to be able to help determine which lane of traffic should be the most efficient.

The above situation should NEVER NEVER NEVER happen. A kamikaze run is absurd and I hope that the poster was being facetious.

Sorry, guess I should have made the *** a little larger at the end of the original story.

I once was asked by a Trooper, actually Master Sgt. State Trooper, if I knew how fast I was driving one night responding to an accident on the Interstate. I wasn't intending to be smarting off or anything but I said no because the speedometer only went to 85. WRONG thing to say. He went off on me like you would not believe. But the joke was on me. Yes, I was a rookie, and even though he was a Trooper, he was also a volunteer on the rural fire serv. It was a good five years before they finally let me live it down. :sign5:

Close.

Common practice in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana.

Most vehicles are engineered for that speed. And tires ARE rated over that speed.

But you do want to be gentle on the rig, engine, drive-train and suspension. So none of this on rough roads.

Huh. So not only are you a whacker who lacks even the most basic sense, you are a hypocrite too. Congratulations on that one.

I'd like to see the ambulance that is engineered to travel at 100mph. I'd like to see the tires for that ambulance as well. Oh wait...they don't exist. Oops.

I suppose this isn't to hard to understand; if you only do this for the thrill and rarely go out it can be hard to keep that adrenalin in check. (I'm sure this is where he'll chime in that he's been doing this for years without a problem...which obviously makes it ok :roll: )

Yes, in such circumstances, we travel slower just in case something like that ever happens.

Either you are lying, or you simply have no clue what you are talking about. You just spent three pages talking about how it was perfectly safe to drive 100mph, and that there were no problems with this. Now you "drive accordingly" to worst case scenarios.

Which is it? You can't have it both ways. If you EVER drive 100mph, you are NOT driving accordingly, in consideration of worst case scenarios.

This is shockingly immature, poor, criminal judgement. I'd sure like to see your agency director come here and defend your statements.

Robert Gift -- do us a favor, go talk to your legal department or the bureau of EMS for whatever state you work in and ask if it's acceptable with perfect driving conditions and the threat of a tire blowout is non-existent if it is acceptable to them for you or any other emergency vehicle operator to drive at 100 miles per hour.

If you worked for me and I found out you took my ambulance for a drive at 100mph then you would be out on your butt so fast you couldn't catch your breath.

Hit one large pothole at 100 and you are toast.

If you really do drive that fast then you my friend are not a whacker, you are a detriment to both the community, yourself and your partner.

Leave the driving to the professionals instead of the Ricky "nascar wannabes"

But what's really sad is that you think there is nothing wrong with driving this fast.

If I hadn't seen your post count I would have thought you posted this drivel just to get into chat.

What is the point of speed? It really has no real value. Even a critical patient could be harmed more by all the extra vibration and bouncing at a high speed. At a high rate of speed the medic in back can do nothing for the patient because they have to hang on for dear life. Then throw in the added risks to all in the ambulance and the general public. Pure stupidity running fast. Treat your patients and get there safe. The extra few seconds or even few minutes for us extremely rural EMS people makes no difference in the big picture. Do what is best for the most and slow down.

NO patient on board.

If you cannot see that the pavement is clear and cannot see potholes or debris, you are driving too fast.

Tire manufacturers rated tires at 106 mph, sustained speeds.

Rarely can one travel that fast for any length of time.

Vehicles are well engineered and can handle such speeds on smooth straight road surfaces.

One should NOT be looking at the speedometer to make sure one is not going more than 10 mph over the posted speed limit.

One should be paying attention to the road.

When you are driving 10 to 15 miles in the middle of nowhere, these speeds are not uncommon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.