Patient introductions/icebreakers

renegade334

Ccmedoc just reminded me of something. Don't be telling any jokes on the scene, as the patient, as well as the family/friends/bystanders, will take it as unprofessional, specifically, "What kind of jerk is this? Telling jokes? Can't this person SEE how sick and/or injured the patient is?"

This goes full across the board, from a stubbed toe call to the traumatic arrest secondary to decapitation call, as many callers believe their call, no matter what, is the really true emergency.

"Lizabeth, I'm comin' to join you!" (Redd Foxx, as Fred Sanford, on "Sanford and Son".)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Line #1. First on scene.

Hi, my name is XXXX so what is going on tonite?

Line #2. Fire on Scene

Hi, my name is XXXX the Fire department tells me your having some chest pain tonite.

This is something I stress to new Medics. It's rude to take info from a first responder and then turn around and ask the patient what's wrong. Include their information in your introduction, it goes along way with good inter-department relations.

Line #3. Nursing Home

You do realize this patient has been dead for 4 hours don't you?

Sorry Terri couldn't resist! :D

I find a simple " Hi, my names Jake and this is Bob, What's going on today?" seems to work.

After I get the patients name I will refer to them as Mr/Mrs/Miss unless they tell me to call them something else. Once in the ambulance, I find if you keep the conversation light it tends to put the patient at ease somewhat. Yes there are questions that need to be answered and things that need to be done, but talking to your patient seems to comfort them somehow. If you're quiet and bouncing all over the ambulance, they tend to get worked up.

Well, since you all felt the need to jump my butt over the joking thing, I guess I'll have to clarify. We have a VA hospital here, as well as several elderly multi-residential buildings. A good many of the male patients will joke and flirt with both my partner and I, especially on routine transports. There is an exchange of jovial discussion, some story telling on their part, and a patient that was happy I didn't ignore them like so many other medics.

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself clearly enough. I'll be sure any of my subsequent posts are at the fourth grade level.

I qualify my statement to say, if the patient is joking around, no matter how serious the case, perhaps, and I say cautiously perhaps, you might make with some funnys. Play it by ear, on a case by case basis.

One sub topic that sorts of relates to this is deaf patients. I learned just enough sign language to be dangerous. Most adults can read lips, but if there are many times someone else is around, let them translate. But always talk with the patient as if he/she is hearing you. The third person translating may be behind you, but don't talk directly to them. You wouldn't want to be in a two person conversation but have a third party talking back and forth between the two of you. It's the same thing. And watch it, some can read lips well enough to make out what you are saying even when you mumble #-o

When I approach my patients, I always try to get down to their eye level (it can be very intimidating to stand over the patient and look down on them), introduce myself and my partner, smile and tell them that we're going to give them the best care possible. I do get the occasional senior citizen in the middle of the night who's so apologetic for calling us out, and depending on the situation, saying "that's okay, we had to get up to go to the bathroom anyway", usually is enough to relieve some tension. I make every effort to let the patient know what's going on, from IV starts and cardiac monitors to what's going to happen once they hit the ER; if you don't give a patient any surprises, usually they return the favor and don't give you any...

Being a good listener and being observant to body language is very important as well, as you can pick up a lot of verbal and non-verbal clues as to what's going on with the patient.

Sorry to run on, but this stuff's been working for me for years.

When I approach my patients, I always try to get down to their eye level (it can be very intimidating to stand over the patient and look down on them), introduce myself and my partner, smile and tell them that we're going to give them the best care possible. I do get the occasional senior citizen in the middle of the night who's so apologetic for calling us out, and depending on the situation, saying "that's okay, we had to get up to go to the bathroom anyway", usually is enough to relieve some tension. I make every effort to let the patient know what's going on, from IV starts and cardiac monitors to what's going to happen once they hit the ER; if you don't give a patient any surprises, usually they return the favor and don't give you any...

Being a good listener and being observant to body language is very important as well, as you can pick up a lot of verbal and non-verbal clues as to what's going on with the patient.

Sorry to run on, but this stuff's been working for me for years.

No need to feel like you are running on. You brought up a good point. Do your best to explain what you are doing and why you are doing it, within limits. And one thing, don't lie, like when sticking someone don't say that you'll barely feel this when you know it's going to be a jabbing pain. But don't tell them it's going to be a jabbing pain either.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.