Patient introductions/icebreakers

renegade334

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but here goes.

How do YOU introduce yourself to patients, and what do YOU use as an icebreaker?

Are there any lines you use almost all the time?

e.g "I'm John Smith and I'll be your EMT for today?" etc...

Do you start off with a joke?

Renegade334

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With me, it seems like I've said different things at different times, depending on the possible situation. It's as if as soon as I walk in and usually within the first three seconds something pops into my head. I can't explain it. And it does help if you know what the nature of the call is. If the pt. is alert and talking to you don't get into a tizzy and act like it's something like you've never done before, even if it is. And assure the pt. and those around her that everything that can be done is being done. One "unwritten" rule that I was told back in my first class, is to never, never, assure anyone that "Everything is going to be alright." How many times has a Medic or any medical professional has said that and in just a few minutes the worse outcome has came? But if the pt. is unresponsive, and there IS other's around, don't say, "OH, CRAP!" It sort of ruins the mood. Don't say something that seems generic, crude, or what what could be construed as off color. ALWAYS be professional. Usually let the one with seniority introduce yourselves unless he/she warrants you to. NO PROFANITY [-X , goes a long way. But my very best advice, be yourself.

BTW: I like the previous posts. =D>

BTW 2: Some may agree with me on these points, some may not. Some may have better advice...but we can all learn from each other.

Usually I will start off saying "Hi I am Mobey, this is my partner *****, what's your name?"

If they are freaking out, before i do anything I will say something like "The worst part is over, the ambulance is here and we are here to help you. Take a deep breath and tell me what is wrong"

I agree with not saying everything is going to be fine. I just took a 31 y/o male into the city a half hour away who was having an active MI. About half way he asked me "Just how bad is this?" I told him he was a critical patient, but he was able to talk to me, however I let him know he was in serious condition.

He elected to call his wife from my cell phone in the ambulance. When we arrived at the hospital he quickly coded and died.

If I would have told him "Everything is going to be fine" he probably would have never called his wife to tell her he loves her one last time.

At the front door: Ambulance!

-Hi, did you call 911 (half the time b/c I they're frazzled and not really paying me attention...to make sure right house/patient)

-Hi, What's going on today? What's the problem today? (something that gets me a more acute answer, rather than the whole story, to get at least something right off the bat).

do we really need to go so far as to have an ice breaker?

I have found in 15 years that "I'm Mike, did you call 911" or "Hi I'm Mike, how can I help you today" works good every single time.

I do say that you need to have different types of greetings for different age populations.

I had a partner, now a Lieutenant, who used to address any 10 years or younger male patient as "tough guy."

I also have been advised by many partners, supervisors, and trade magazine articles, not to address any older patient as "Momma", Papa," "Grandma," Grandpa" or "Pops", unless that is what the patient requests of you. Ask their name, and if they prefer Mr, Miss, Ms, preceding their surname, or by their first name. I pass that along, too.

As for the initial introduction, I stick with "I'm Richard, I'm with the ambulance. What seems to be the problem today?"

Then, of course, there is that other problem of addressing. We'll stick with Ralph and Ed's answer: "Hello, Ball!"

What's wrong with a simple "what's going on today?" That's my standard line, of course it's more often than not directed at the fire captain already on scene. We rarely beat rescue, there are many more of them than there are of us.

Occasionally, I have to start off with "okay, tell me what happened" directed at the family of an unresponsive or coded patient. I take in the information they tell me as I'm doing my physical assessment, interventions on said patient.

I leave the joke telling for my non-critical patients, and only after I have established comfortable communication with them.

I leave the joke telling for my non-critical patients, and only after I have established comfortable communication with them.

Although I understand the premise of joking with "non critical" patients, they still believe they are sick (most of the time), and a joke may be misconstrued as something more serious than you intended. I like to leave the jokes for another time.

In my mind, joking, calling patients by any other name than Mr./Mrs. xxx, or a name they specifically allow is unprofessional.

again...just my opinion...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.