Would you stay in EMS ?

Would you stay in EMS ?  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I would stay
    • No, I would leave

If there was a Federal mandate tomorrow, not allowing EMS to have lights, sirens. Disallowing EMS personal from wearing patches, pins, stickers etc.. & allowing EMT's only to identify themselves as "Health Care Provider" only.

Would you stay in EMS ?

Please, be honest.. I even prefer no comments

Thanks ,

Ridryder 911

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would be hard to see happening here as we are a state run service and the fed law wouldn't over ride the state law...

still as long as i get paid

stay safe

It would take some fun out of the job, but someone shouldn't be doing the job for the lights and sirens. You can become techno DJs if you want to play with lights and sirens!

Rid;

Most definitely yes!

Boiled down the basic definition of "a professional" is the helping of others. In my opinion we are no different in what we are trying to accomplish everyday we go to work than any other profession. And like most professions we do it for the right reasons because we are certainly NOT financially compensated for what we do :lol: ! I am sure that you have heard the age-old question "How can you do that? [be an EMT or Paramedic]"many times. I always answer by telling them that certain people are equipped for certain things. My wife use to be a field investigator for children svcs. I could never have handled her job.

That said at the end of the day the majority of professionals [law, fire, ems, education, social services, clergy, etc.] all have the same job. That job...

To help others, in our own way, when there is no one else to help them.

With or without the lights and sirens that's our job, to help.

OF Course!!!! I do it because I enjoy helping other people. I run with a volunteer department, so I can't say I do it for the paycheck. I do it because I know that in the area I am from, it would take a long time for another unit to respond. I want to be able to give something to the community around me, something that is needed and appreciated. I don't do it for the lights and sirens. I do it for the smiles and the hugs you get from family members, after you have assisted a patient up off of the floor, or left an injured child at the emergency room.

Yes i would stay. When i first started in EMS it was just for the knowledge. I took the state test and did nothing with the cert for acouple of months. But then i joined the Volunteer Fire Dept as a first responder. Thats when i found out what EMS was really about. I finaly started riding with the local ambulance about 6 months later, ive been here ever sence. :lol:

Yes I would stay. Lights, sirens, pins and patches is not what I am there for.

I belong to a small Fire/Rescue Dept. We have no uniforms, pins or patches. We show up in our everyday dress, be it jeans, t shirt etc. We have an ambulance but the general public ignores the lights and sirens so we might as well not have them.

Yep I am not in it for the doo dads, nor the notoriety, but because I help my community in time of need.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.