Do you help off duty?

LisaO925

My father became the coordinator for their local volunteer ambulance, so on days off that I went to my parent's I also ran with them. Luckily being in such a smaller area it wasn't real busy. They would make about the same amount of runs in a month than I did in a day at work. But it seems that when they did a call it was usually more dynamic. A lot of rural farm accidents and MVA's on back roads.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A point taken in someone else's posting that I would like to elaborate on...

If you are going to stop at the scene of a call in your own vehicle, please (!) make sure someone has called 9-1-1, or call 9-1-1 yourself.

Figure it this way: Everybody standing in front of the elevator thinks someone else has pushed the button to call the elevator to that floor, only nobody actually pushed the button. Then, when the elevator actually gets to the floor, everyone complains. My mom has even named this phenomenon, calling it "Elevator Button Syndrome".

My point? Make sure that there is a response underway, or folks might innocently think you are there in response to that 9-1-1 call that was never made.

Hang on, hang on <blows whistle> False Start, LisaO925, prior to the completion of even EMT-B class, placing star of life on car and attempting to aide at an accident. 5 yard penalty. In addition, on the snap, interference, amberlynnc, in assuming the world is like her small town and not what it is really like, interfered with professional advising newbie, 10 yards, first down on the newbies 30 yard line.

Look, kids, in all seriousness, if you keep up your shenanigans you will eventually be injured, fired, sued, or even killed. I say this for no other reason than it has happened before, and it will happen again. I suggest that if you truly want to operate in the prehospital care setting, you get a healthy dose of reality, and get your head out of la la land.

Hang on, hang on <blows whistle> False Start, LisaO925, prior to the completion of even EMT-B class, placing star of life on car and attempting to aide at an accident. 5 yard penalty. In addition, on the snap, interference, amberlynnc, in assuming the world is like her small town and not what it is really like, interfered with professional advising newbie, 10 yards, first down on the newbies 30 yard line.

Another reason not to have uniforms in EMT and paramedic schools. We don't need to be encouraging this whackerism. In fact, my school dress code would specifically prohibit EMS or "public safety" related attire. It would also prohibit SOLs and the line on the students' POVs.

There is supposed to be a blue line design for application to the bumpers of POVs owned by LEOs, and a similar one for fire fighters in red, to let on duty LEOs know who might be driving the POV.

Anyone heard of one for EMS?

For the record, my whole post was more about how I felt about seeing the accident, and wanting to help, and if thats how you guys were / are too.

Honestly, I think you have nothing to worry about in how you felt.

Then I was curious if any of you would stop or have stopped to help before..

I don't carry any gear in my car. So if I ever stop, it would be only to make sure 911 got called, to comfort the patient until help arrived, perhaps to hold c-spine.

The only time I recall ever stopping though, was 20-some years ago when a guy lost control on a not-well-traveled back-road and ran off into a pond. I stopped. My wife drove to a nearby home to call 911. I stayed with the driver until the police came. I answered the officer's questions, as I was an eye-witness to the wreck, and then I left.

I would not personally stop right now, as is, just as a student and help, esp. if there was already EMS there.

Now, when I become one, after school, I guess each situation will be different, and I cant answer yes or no.

To comment on Dustdevils comments about uniforms in schools. The class I am in now requires that. At first, I hated it, but after hearing the reasons why, I really agree, and like the idea.

We are being groomed to be professional. I greatly appreciate what they are doing. Most of what is required on the job is required for us in class. Instead of being written up, we are docked time in class ( which is so valuable) and or sent home. There are alot of guidelines in this class, alot of adjustments to make, and I am very thankful for the guidence.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.