What you always thought you knew about Dispatchers......

unknown

A 911 dispatcher as they answer the phone here....

"911....please hold".......

Don't laugh! It happened to me!

That happens often here. I actually dialed 911 one day and was told "I'm currently on a 911 call please hold". I thought I was a 911 caller.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know you people are truly amazing you tear people apart and bite the hands that feed you there are many that have stress beyond maybe they need a career change but then again maybe you people need to grow up ego maniacs that you are when it comes down to it we are all here to do the same thing that we all signed up for and what made us wanna do it to begin with....HELP people.....

Ah lighten up or I'll make a make fun of steph post. :twisted: :D:lol::lol::lol:

well when you are dispatched to a street that connects another town to yours you start thinking that smoke is comming from another town so you drive past that thinking you are dispatched to another call in another area

I AGREE oohh that could be sooo much fun.........hhhm who should start it?

You know what grips me the most about this? A it was a joke sent by a MALE DISPATCHER who is NOT Gay, and You want to jump on it like that?

I know all Ya'll could care less about the credentials and hard work put into the fact that I want to show I am not just another Joe Blow brought in off the street and handed a radio, a phone and a map.

I take pride in what I do, I educate myself for my position that I hold, and NO I don't have the experience from being out in the field but Does THAT mean that I can't be a good Communicator??

AND for he who knows who HE is -- this is for you.

NO, it's not just as simple as being on a phone telling someone how to do CPR. Sure we all know how, we are all Certified.......but as a preceptor KNOW this-- I have trained many and not all can do it. Not every one can handle the call volume..... There are those that CAN and they DO and there are those that CAN'T no matter how hard they try......

Bless there Hearts they TRY but you can't just put ANY body behind a console and expect them to be good at it-- seems to me that all Ya'll know this. So why be so down on those that strive to make a better comm spec? Putting forth the effort to provide quality reponses and assistance to those in the field. Seems like we DISPATCHERS can't win for loosing in your book. We will be low dogs on your totem poll no matter what. AND next time-- don't be afraid to post your comments here........

Your gonna get my response wether you like it or not.

Okay, okay, okay, that's it, gloves are friggin' off here. You know, whether it offended your sensibilities or not, I was joking around, that line about "Those who can, do..." was actually something I made up a long time ago on a slow night when a dear friend of mine was dispatching and fully enjoying himself putting the screws to me. There was no animosity intended and we both got a good laugh over it. I still think its funny.

Now I am dead serious. You have serious emotional and control issues. You like to play the dominant female role, but you get upset when someone challenges your crap. Guess what? You can say whatever you want whether people want to hear it or not, but expect the same when you go out trying to beat your chest and show everyone what for. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Otherwise, post what you want, and take the responses like an adult, not like a little girl hiding behind an NREMT-B cert and good marks on a dispatcher exam who wants all the guys to know she carries her weight. It won't work.

And I still say any guy who talks about his mood swings is gayer than Justin Timberlake in Tom Cruise's wardrobe.

Okay, okay, okay, that's it, gloves are friggin' off here. You know, whether it offended your sensibilities or not, I was joking around, that line about "Those who can, do..." was actually something I made up a long time ago on a slow night when a dear friend of mine was dispatching and fully enjoying himself putting the screws to me. There was no animosity intended and we both got a good laugh over it. I still think its funny.

Now I am dead serious. You have serious emotional and control issues. You like to play the dominant female role, but you get upset when someone challenges your crap. Guess what? You can say whatever you want whether people want to hear it or not, but expect the same when you go out trying to beat your chest and show everyone what for. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Otherwise, post what you want, and take the responses like an adult, not like a little girl hiding behind an NREMT-B cert and good marks on a dispatcher exam who wants all the guys to know she carries her weight. It won't work.

And I still say any guy who talks about his mood swings is gayer than Justin Timberlake in Tom Cruise's wardrobe.

FIRST OF ALL-- Some one sent me his comments and was to cowardly to post them right here like every one else- so this wasn't pointed towards you.

SECOND-- I AM the dominate female! As a mother of 3 who just put in 140.83 hours over the last 2 weeks-- thats 12 12 hours shifts, just so my three children can have heat food and clothing- because RIGHT now I AM the provider with no assistance! I DO NOT get any aid at all nor do I receive any support so to speak so HECK yes I hold my own and my TYPE A Dominate personality is what pulls me through it! OF coarse I could always sit at home on my tush and let YOUR hard earned tax dollars keep my kids warm, feed and clothed!!

AND I don't HIDE behind a NREMTB recert or GOOD grades on a test! I have 3 children- to work the field is not practical for me! Being gone from my children over night for a 24 or 48 hour shift is not practical no matter how hard I would LOVE to be out there like the rest of you!!! being gone for only 12 hours, only being required to work 3 twelves a week to have full time status- provide insurance for my children... AND have the ability to work overtime if money is short or if I need it! We all got to do what we must do for our families so don't you dare sit there and accuse me of being on my HIGH horse! I am just making DANG sure I take care of me and my own and not your TAX dollars!

YOU sir are the SAME type of person who would gripe and moan about the LONG welfare lines yet your gonna diss one person how makes darn good and well she isn't in that line!

AND if you think for a moment that I could be strong and not be dominate, well your not female you don't know just how hard it is to get by in a mans world trying to hold your own with out a hand out!

AND just for the record if you will resort back to my original reply to you- I stated if you where trying to be funny notice I WASN'T LAUGHING! So you wasted your time with this last relpy! REDUNDANT!

AND AS FOR MY EMOTIONAL STATE~! How dare you! Yes I am a female and if you think its easy holding my own taking care of my three children, bringing my profession to a HIGHER LEVEL OF STANDARD... STUDYING... LOSING 4 YES 4 coworks and friends the week after CHRISTMAS...

I THINK I DESERVE AN EMOTIONAL MOMENT!!!

RANT OFF!

Look, I'm sorry about your co-workers. It was a tragedy. But don't use the memories of others to forgive your behavior. I'm also very sympathetic to your plight as a single mother, as I was raised by one myself, and I hope soon you'll find a career which better suits your family situation. 120 hours in 2 weeks really helps no one.

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't find it funny. I didn't find you post very funny either. But I don't drag my personal issues into it, so why don't we leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez everyone, stop holding it all in and let us know how you REALLY feel.

Personally, I absolutely despise my dispatchers. But thats because the ones I have to endure, are, with a doubt -- [insert worst possible insult you can think of here]. However, at my previous service I could never say enough good things about them. They were my dispatchers but also my personal friends. We knew each other socially and in some cases were married to them.

I neither want to know about, or care about, a dispatchers problems or tragedies. Just give me the address. I'll find the Pt and treat what is wrong. I'd never rely on medical info from someone who only holds the title and doesn't work the field. What is that about?

Geez everyone, stop holding it all in and let us know how you REALLY feel.

Personally, I absolutely despise my dispatchers. But thats because the ones I have to endure, are, with a doubt -- [insert worst possible insult you can think of here]. However, at my previous service I could never say enough good things about them. They were my dispatchers but also my personal friends. We knew each other socially and in some cases were married to them.

I neither want to know about, or care about, a dispatchers problems or tragedies. Just give me the address. I'll find the Pt and treat what is wrong. I'd never rely on medical info from someone who only holds the title and doesn't work the field. What is that about?

Holds the title but doesn't work. Just the fact-- look it up if you must.

The state of TN require you to be a Licensed EMT to disptach. YOU must be licensed in the state of TN or the state you disptach from. You MUST be EMD certified. You MUST have 2 years experience disptaching. Since we have 9 Helicopters in the state of Tn alone, we must keep communicators staff that are EMT licensed.

Not work the field? I would LOVE to, however I forfeited that option when I became single to be with my children as I need to be, and when the time is right I will again go back to what I desire to do. Some time one must make sacrifices, I am so sorry you feel that way. Highly unprofessional