Firemonkey Madness

Dustdevil

Fire Departments should...  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• Only hire applicants who are already EMTs.
    • Train their own EMTs.
    • Get out of the EMT business altogether.

Hmm, so as a volunteer fire fighter Im not professional? Hmm, interesting. Try "career" fire fighter.

Volunteers are professional too, get more respect because we don't get paid to do it.

I'm not sure who you're responding to, someone in this thread? [edit: I see now where you're responding to Dustdevil]

The paid v volunteer has been covered ad nauseam in multiple threads, you might find a better argument there...

Though before you begin, it might benefit you to define 'career', 'profession' and 'professional' before wading into that pond...there are a lot of passionate, educated opinions on the subject.

Dwayne

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, so as a volunteer fire fighter Im not professional? Hmm, interesting. Try "career" fire fighter.

Volunteers are professional too, get more respect because we don't get paid to do it.

Respect by who? Not the IAFF, that's for darn sure. Let's not go on the volunteer/hero/ego-trip, I made some homemade chili and I'm out of alka-seltzer.

Respect by who? Not the IAFF, that's for darn sure. Let's not go on the volunteer/hero/ego-trip, I made some homemade chili and I'm out of alka-seltzer.

Never said anything about being a hero or an ego trip . Fuck the IAFF. I have my opinions about them too. I do the same thing a paid FF does, I put my gear on the same way they do, only there paid im a volly....

Please don't damage your credibility here by playing word games. You may BS the general public with that worn out chiche', but I've been at this business for nearly thirty-five years, so you're not fooling me. I don't determine a provider's professionalism by their salary. But, the fact is, if firefighting (or EMS) is not your paid, career profession, you are not A professional. Just because you are professional (which you very well may be), does not make you a professional. And just because somebody else is a professional does not mean they are necessarily professional. We all took high school English here. We know what the word means.

As for respect, who in the world are you talking about? Who respects you? The kids who see you in your uniform? The people in distress who are just happy that somebody showed up, paid or not? Puhleeze. As Asys said, the fire service doesn't respect you. Professional EMS doesn't respect you. The hospital staff doesn't respect you. The cops despise you. They all think you are a wannabe. And the general public is oblivious to you until you show up at their emergency, and even then, they usually take you for granted because you are doing only what is expected of you. You have to seriously be stroking yourself to be feeling any respect for being a volunteer fireman.

Respect and a fin will get you a crappachino at Starbucks.

Please don't damage your credibility here by playing word games. You may BS the general public with that worn out chiche', but I've been at this business for nearly thirty-five years, so you're not fooling me. I don't determine a provider's professionalism by their salary. But, the fact is, if firefighting (or EMS) is not your paid, career profession, you are not A professional. Just because you are professional (which you very well may be), does not make you a professional. And just because somebody else is a professional does not mean they are necessarily professional. We all took high school English here. We know what the word means.

As for respect, who in the world are you talking about? Who respects you? The kids who see you in your uniform? The people in distress who are just happy that somebody showed up, paid or not? Puhleeze. As Asys said, the fire service doesn't respect you. Professional EMS doesn't respect you. The hospital staff doesn't respect you. The cops despise you. They all think you are a wannabe. And the general public is oblivious to you until you show up at their emergency, and even then, they usually take you for granted because you are doing only what is expected of you. You have to seriously be stroking yourself to be feeling any respect for being a volunteer fireman.

Respect and a fin will get you a crappachino at Starbucks.

Wow, dust, Iraq must be getting to the brain...

I don't know what dream land your coming from, but here we are well respected. The town im a fire fighter with has a paid crew and we are the volunteers that COVER THERE ASS, the boro likes us more because we are not cocky and arrogant and we do not have a budget that is killing the town like they do, in a few years they will be by the wayside as council told us last month. We get more RESPECT...hmm..theres that word again..then they do. I put my bunker gear on the same way they do.

As for the town I work in in the EMS side, yes paid EMT, volley FF, we are respected...wow...that word again..their recognize us at all times not just when the drunk idiot is bleeding, but at the store as well getting dinner.

My point is the shit about "paid is professional" is a crock, we are all pros, whether paid or volley, or we would not be in our departments/services.

We don't have any volley EMS or fire around my parts. I'm just a little curious, you say you are a volley ff in a town with a paid fire dept. How does that work? Do the paid ff's resent you guys? I think I would have a huge problem if someone decided to volunteer to do my job for free. How does a full time paid ff make up for losing their job to a group of volunteers? I'm not trying to put you down, so don't take it that way, I'm just thinking about the paid professionals who stand to lose their livelihood's if the town can get away with providing the service for free.

:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry it was that or cry at the above post about volly=professionals. I agree anyone can act professional, but if you volly its your hobby not profession. I was a volly as well FF/EMS and acted very professional, but It was not my profession thus I was not a professional.

I don't know what dream land your coming from, but here we are well respected. The town im a fire fighter with has a paid crew and we are the volunteers that COVER THERE ASS, the boro likes us more because we are not cocky and arrogant and we do not have a budget that is killing the town like they do, in a few years they will be by the wayside as council told us last month. We get more RESPECT...hmm..theres that word again..then they do. I put my bunker gear on the same way they do.

As for the town I work in in the EMS side, yes paid EMT, volley FF, we are respected...wow...that word again..their recognize us at all times not just when the drunk idiot is bleeding, but at the store as well getting dinner.

My point is the shit about "paid is professional" is a crock, we are all pros, whether paid or volley, or we would not be in our departments/services.

So... you say "Fuck the IAFF" and look forward to the day that your hobby puts paid crews out of a job. Wow, you really are my hero.

Next time the vollie vs. paid arguement comes up in here, I am going to show everyone your post so they know where I'm coming from on my stance.

See, PA, this is why you're a vollie and I'm a professional. Your biggest concern is respect for your big red truck and your bros, while my biggest concern is getting home safely at the end of the night and paying my electric bill. In vollie land its all about heroism, and respect, and glory, and saving kittens from trees as your guiding principes. In the land of professional EMS and Fire response, its about safety, response times, quality care, and budgets. Either your township really buys that crock you sell them, or they are just looking to save a buck at the expense of you, your friends, and your friends families.

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to argue this damn topic go to Firehouse.com forums with the rest of the wackers and blue light crusaders! As a LONG time volly your posts insult me. I behave professionally at my VFD and am a Professional at my FD. Yeah, so I get paid. So what , you don't. Doesn't make it more heroic. As for Fuck the IAFF,

YOU SNIVELING IGNORANT LITTLE TWIT!! DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT ALMOST ALL OF THE SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS IN THE FIRE SERVICE ARE A RESULT OF THE IAFF FIGHTING FOR THEM??? HOW DARE YOU DISMISS THE HARD WORK BY MY UNION BROTHERS THAT HAS MADE IT SAFER FOR YOU AND ME TO FUNCTION AS FIRE FIGHTERS!!!! GO TO FH.COM WITH YOUR TIRED IGNORANT BOMBASTIC GARBAGE AND PICK A FIGHT. YOU ARE A PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE ATTITUDES THAT ARE WRONGWITH FAR TO MANY VOLS. :evil: :evil:

Before you decide to deride me for my stand, know that I am an officer in my states Vol firemans association. This is not an anti vol post, just an anti moron post.

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to argue this damn topic go to Firehouse.com forums with the rest of the wackers and blue light crusaders! As a LONG time volly your posts insult me. I behave professionally at my VFD and am a Professional at my FD. Yeah, so I get paid. So what , you don't. Doesn't make it more heroic. As for Fuck the IAFF,

YOU SNIVELING IGNORANT LITTLE TWIT!! DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT ALMOST ALL OF THE SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS IN THE FIRE SERVICE ARE A RESULT OF THE IAFF FIGHTING FOR THEM??? HOW DARE YOU DISMISS THE HARD WORK BY MY UNION BROTHERS THAT HAS MADE IT SAFER FOR YOU AND ME TO FUNCTION AS FIRE FIGHTERS!!!! GO TO FH.COM WITH YOUR TIRED IGNORANT BOMBASTIC GARBAGE AND PICK A FIGHT. YOU ARE A PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE ATTITUDES THAT ARE WRONGWITH FAR TO MANY VOLS. :evil: :evil:

Before you decide to deride me for my stand, know that I am an officer in my states Vol firemans association. This is not an anti vol post, just an anti moron post.

Wow.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.